myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
San Luis Speed Check
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gerritt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: San Luis, late 80's Reply with quote

Man that brings back memories. I was there. I'd been windsurfing 3 years and short-boarding for just a year. Just the year before, I sold my One Design original Windsurfer for a 9'-10" Alpha with a million footstraps and no dagger board. The sail was included with the rig. A 5.2 RAF, made by Neil Pryde with a big "a" logo on it. I posted a top speed of 24!

Brad was always the fastest sailor around and his shop (Sea Level) helped me toward better equipment and faster speeds. When Brad talked about speed, you listened. I know he moved to the Gorge and kites exclusively now, but for a time, he was the fastest windsurfer in the continental US.
superkraut

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:

But the ONE key was usually the guy with the most runs also had the fastest times, ONCE. Just law of averages. Seldom does the winner have more than 4 times in the overall top 10.

which is why we (Isabella Speed Week organizers) will open the competition for 9 days (Friday through the following Sunday), and use not radar but GPS (you bring your own, or borrow one of ours). As often as you like, somewhere within that time frame, you come see one of the monitors to sign in, and go when and where on the lake you think you'll sail the highest speed. End of your sesh, you bring the GPS back to have the data downloaded. Of course, in May, we will have fronts come through, with everyone who is not bogged down by a job, taking advantage - so old fogies like myself get a bit of a boost!
tramontana00

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super cool! I am in for at least one weekend.
Briangat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Issy Race Reply with quote

How about a Lake Isabella total distance race. Total distance by 4pm. How many miles could you sail? Most miles wins.
superkraut

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we'd need a bit more water in The Lake for a distance race - right now, the fetch on a Southerly is less than a 1/4mile, and on a Westerly, it would be about a 1/4 mile before you'd run into the trees if you started from the Ghetto. Of course, one would hone ones jibes...
superkraut

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the more I think on this distance idea, the more I like it! surely, by the time our Speed Week comes around in May, we will have a decent amount of water in the lake; and since the speed event will be GPS based, incorporating a distance event is a total no-brainer. Thanks for the suggestion!
Briangat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when we sail in the middle of the lake, the reach is probably around a mile. So if you sailed 4 hours straight, blowing 5.0, it could add up to some interesting distance numbers.
superkraut

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you sail in the middle, you are currently hemmed in to the West by a rocky reef, extending North from the island in front of the Ghetto; and to the North by multiple lines of trees, some obviously out, some lurking just at the surface. North & South maximum between Aux Dam and those trees at the moment is about 1/2 mile - next time I patrol this with my SUP, I'll take pics for you - its a pretty dismal sight!
Briangat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: the trees Reply with quote

the trees are underwater in may. South fork will have a couple sticking out, depending on water levels. When the island is underwater, its not a problem.
The reach in the center really depends on the wind. it can be stronger, or weird. one day last year we were reaching from cantina, past rocky point to the other side by wofford heights.
tramontana00

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Distance,
one hour average speed,
nautical mile average speed,
@ 500 jibe,
500m average speed,
250m average speed,
100m average speed,
10 sec average speed,
5 x 10 sec average speed ,
max 2 sec. speed and
max display speed

These are all recorded on GT-31 gps unit. As long as one has GT-31 gps set up correctly, all of these disciplines will be recorded.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: