myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
ISO warm destination for comfortable return to sailing
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rigitrite

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

St. Martin is great, but there’s more than one place to sail there. The Vela center is on Orient beach, which is more challenging for beginners, however, Galion beach is completely protected from the waves, much more shallow, and has windsurfing rental there too. We were there in August of 2009 and I saw a couple beginners sailing at Galion beach. I don’t think you could go wrong with Bonaire or Aruba either, and if you wait until summer, you can go to Hatteras or Corpus Christi for even cheaper and sail in either laguna, which is perfect for beginners. I learned to water start, get in the straps,use a harness, and jibe at Bird Island Basin. Great place to learn; sandy bottoms, warm water, and waist deep for miles…..literally.
victor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know about flights form the EC but how about Baja? Vela has a nice setup in Los Barriles. Wyatt and Tyson are in La Ventana.

It's been very windy this season.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While Baja can make a most fun vacation for the windsurfer who can waterstart and sail in swell and deep water......
Bonaire is known for shallow water, promoting the best freestyler's in the world, and some of the best learning conditions for waterstarting, jibing, early jumping stages, beachstarts, and getting comfortable in planing conditions that are safe and friendly.
rigitrite

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baja can be a little much for beginners, plus it's definitely wetsuit temps once the El Nortes start firing. I had some of the best sailing I've ever had in LV, and Wyatt/Tyson have a great set-up.
Baja is much cheaper & easier to get to from the west coast than from the mid-west or east coast.

dllee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, Corpus or SPID can be just the cure for the itch...
Springtime is good for both spots, Worldwinds at Corpus, and a couple of rental/instructionals at SPID, fly into Harlingen, rent a car for the 11 mile drive.
I think it's Boatyards right at the water in the sound, while the other shop is 2 blocks from the water.
chrissim

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonaire is where it's at. Two dives in the morning, rest of day at Lac Bay. Have a Sol in a hanging chair for the rest of us.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: