myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Nanocoating for windsurfing boards
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
benspikey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:25 am    Post subject: Nanocoating for windsurfing boards Reply with quote

One can dream about the next generation board with this nanoscale coating..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ICw5k1tDZSk
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm....... Mot sure this would nake your board any faster, it might do the opposite. Wet sanding the bottom of your board makes it fast. You can tell easilly if you need to wet sand it, just throw water on it. If the water beads and runs off, wet sand it, if the water wets out the bottom you're ok.Glossy paints often need to be wet sanded, as they repel water.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would it cost?
How long can it last?
How dangerous is the application?
And most important, who cares?
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can dream that an effective nanoscale coating would make our boards fast enough planing would start 10% sooner. No, as long as its my dream I'll make it 20 or 25% sooner. We might all care about that.

It is not likely, but we can dream.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read this: www.boardlady.com/fast.htm
benspikey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still am dreaming that this would be much faster..

If one can reduce the stickiness of water than you reduce friction. The surface coating technology reduces waters ability to stick as only 5% of the water molecule comes in contact with the coated surface. The rest is touching air.

I do understand that a smooth glossy surface may not be fast.. But those are macro interactions and I think the benefit is at the micro or nano level..

Also if you look at the video water does not bead it runs off in sheets on the coated surface.

Board lady says
"sand until water thrown at it runs off in sheets – WITHOUT ANY BEADS forming."
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For windsurfing boards that are nowhere near smooth or even due to their construction methods, 600 grit seems the fastest. I've tried grits up to 1000 and down to 180 (attempting to form rib lets) and 600 is the best balance between a perfect finish (whatever that is) and both taking off too much or taking off unevenly with an ultra-fine grit. I even used a polymer on my longboard back when, and it was fast for about 2 hrs then seemed to pick up every tiny impurity, including sand and grit somehow floating on the water.

The fastest surface is a very high polish, but that requires a nearly perfect surface and foil, neither of which windsurfers bring to the table.

600 grit using a sanding block is what I use. And keep that hull clean!

wynsurfer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been wondering why lately none of my boards seem to feel very fast. Years ago I used to wet sand as Eva describes, but I have been lazy about this for many years. My newest board was purchased in '07, and I have never done anything to the bottom. The board is not a dog, but just does'nt feel real fast, even when lit up. I took a good look at the bottom, and boy is it rough! Running my hand over it I easilly feel stuff stuck to the bottom. I seldon rinse it off after use. I'll definately get back into this habit. I noticed one guy waxed the board after wet sanding and the results were horrible. It would be interesting to see what this nanocoating might do. Perhaps it would would work great.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slinky wrote:
My newest board was purchased in '07, and I have never done anything to the bottom. The board is not a dog, but just does'nt feel real fast, even when lit up.

Board design matters. A board built for speed can go mighty fast even with moderate power and doesn't gain a lot with excess power, whereas some boards built for maneuvering need tons of (excess?) power to hit top gear. My boards all fall into the latter category ... yet another reason I rig big.
sergem

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mothboat.com/Building/waxon.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: