myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Fiberspar booms

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Fiberspar booms Reply with quote

Just bought a set of Fiberspar formula pro booms, they are new and look great, and are quit light, but flex a bit. I have 2 other sets, smaller, both 10-20 years old and are still strong. I take it that Fiberspar is no longer making windsurfing equipment, and was wondering if there were any issues regarding durability in recent years. Anyone out there using this model? they adjust from 220-268, I'll be using them on sails in the 7.5-9.5 range. I'd like to hear any positive as well as negative experiences.

Thanks in advance!
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I used them while I raced FW. They were as good as the best booms on the market until Maui Sails started making the uber-boom. The lack of stiffness you may feel could be the standard tail piece. The wide tail piece increased the stiffness a great deal by increasing the tube angles within the tailpiece. in other words, the sailor required less force to sheet because of increased leverage, and the wide tail used two angles instead of focussing all stress on a single angle.

The front end is pretty good, but I would investigate an upgrade to the Maui Sails front end.

wynsurfer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dan,

So the geometry is the reason for the flexing that I feel? I'm not too concerened since I don"t race and was mostly worried about durability. I could have saved a few hundred bucks buying aluminum, but I have broken several aluminum booms in the past. They do feel nice and light though. Metal fatigues with flexing but carbon does'nt?
SPQR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big issue with these booms are the ferrules/nuts at the point you extend your booms. I have two sets by years they are old, but not by use. However, on one of them one of the nuts cracked. You can still buy these parts from Big Winds in Oregon, I bought two sets for less than $40.00.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, those nut thingys used to set the adjustment are kind of a pain, they can freeze up if sand works it;s way in. I'll look inyo buying a few replacement sets just in case. Good point SPQR thanks!
windswell

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Tape fix for slipping ferrules on Fiberspar booms Reply with quote

You can also fix slipping ferrules on Fiberspar booms by wrapping electrical tape on the boom just below the flex teeth that catch the grooves. This effectively increases the diameter of that part so that the ferrule presses those worn teeth more securely into the grooves. Try 2 or 3 wraps around, more or less as needed.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, do not over tighten the nuts! They are designed to wear and only tightened more at that time. Tighten a new boom with hardly any pressure. Over tightening leads only to premature failure of the plastic parts.
tramontana00

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanWeiss wrote:
The front end is pretty good, but I would investigate an upgrade to the Maui Sails front end.

I like Fiberspar front end better than Maui Sails front end. The only problem is the friction pad that is made out of hard material and boom can be slipping on the mast. Chinook friction pad is supper soft and grippy and it fits Fiberspar head perfect. $7.00 is well spent there. This makes Fiberspar boom head perfect.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: