myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
old waddell sails essentially new-what to do with them?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edge is pretty fast, but the ears often catch when you go into a hard jibe, causing the board to slow suddenly, pitching you off the front. Narrowest of tail needs wind.
Screamer11 is a good handling medium speed board, floatier than it's listed 103 or so, but no threat to anyone down where you park.
Neither match up to Slab slalom boards.
OTOH, with Kev now using 5.2 sails, who knows? He might be too overpowered to go really fast, while the control of your 2 new boards will allow you to keep the hammer down.
poussin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so yesterday I picked up the Waddell sails from my friend and checked them out. Lee, you are right, they each have 1 cam. The sizes are:
4.2, 4.7, and a 5.3.
The 4.2 has never ever been sailed and looks brand spanking new.
The other 2 have barely been used.
I rigged up the 4.2 and I'm not exactly sure how much to downhaul it.
If I don't downhaul it that much, it has a very nice shape with the camber
and in general the sail is has no wrinkles but also has no twist.
If I downhaul it a bit more to the point where it just starts to bag the top of the sail down to the second batten (as Lee suggested), it seems okay, but
the clew gets a bit sloppy. If I try to outhaul it more, it it really doesnt look right.
So, do I tune it so that it looks nice and taught everywhere with good looking shape, or give just a bit more downhaul to just barely start bagging the top of the sail.
By the way, I found out that they are from '91....!
The quality is fantastic though-especially of the 4.2.
Oh, and I rigged it on my Powerex RDM 400 with about 18 cm of extension.
Please help!
And thanks for everyone's input.

Greg Very Happy
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee will give a more specific, more accurate answer, but in case you need an answer before he returns, I'd go for some looseness towards the top (not the asinine-looking but effective loop-de-droop many of today's sails are designed for) and maybe an inch of outhaul (i.e., take the slack out of the outhaul with thumb and one finger, then add an inch of additional tension.) Older sails were built to work best with snugger leeches and deeper drafts than today's, both of which enhanced low end power (and better jump performance) than modern loose-leeched, shallower foils.

If you try it out that way and it feels top heavy, add some downhaul, as long as it the leech doesn't start fluttering while pinching in the gusts. If the draft is so deep that the clew flaps and yanks when transitioning between starboard and port, add some outhaul tension, maybe a cm at a time. And while dialing it in, notice how much low-end pull it offers and how nicely it floats in the jumps compared to today's more highly strung, turbo-charged thoroughbreds.

Oh .... and if Lee says I'm full of crap on this, believe it.
mac

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee is pretty much right that the top speed of modern sails is not much greater than the top speed of 10 to 20 year old sails. The advent of cams, understanding of broadseam and getting great shape without cams, and good testing meant that really fast sails were produced a long time ago. The advances since then have had more to do with how much of the time you were on the water that you were at, or close to, that top speed. So faster planing, greater range, and easier control are all characteristic of newer sails, and will show up over a windward-leeward or slalom course. But if you have as many sails as Lee, and an addiction to re-rigging, why worry about range? If you intend to sail from Berkeley to Angel Island, range is important.

The Waddell sails were great sails, and need some twist, but not as pronounced as the latest sails. A good way to check twist is to rig the sail, and have another sailor step on the mast to show what would happen in a gust. If the leech tightens completely, you don't have enough downhaul. If it doesn't tighten some, you have too much.
PAmuddog

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg,

With such convincing arguments it sound to me like your gonna try em out.

If they don't work for you I'm sure they will for someone else.

If all else fails find another use for them...............

IMG_3011-1.jpg
 Description:
Max loves his shelter
 Filesize:  599.28 KB
 Viewed:  10935 Time(s)

IMG_3011-1.jpg

nw30

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they look like this? This might be older, maybe '89, an old photo of mine but it has no date.

If so, that was back then they weren't really designing any twist into them, all power adjustments were with the clew only. Downhaul to where the boom cutout is tight (no horizontal wrinkles), and that's about it.
If they have a pointy top like this one, there is no twist in the design.
They work really well until you get overpowered then you have to go to a smaller sail.
Not much range in the sails back then.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that pic is the '86, Trevor's first year. They were fast, didn't twist much, but did twist more than Aeroforce or GaastraRaceFoils, SpeedSlalom, or NP WARP's. '87's were cutout tops like ART's.
wavezz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Put the Waddelll sails up in Davenport SurfSail Reply with quote

Hey, I'm not telling you what to do, but they'd be cool hanging with a few other classic's in joe's barn. they sound excellent. can you post a pict or two. just my 2cents.
wavezz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Waddell, Davenport, excellent Reply with quote

I know this is a windsurf forum, but hey, Joe is out there somewhere. Meanwhile check the kites in the pic, it was cracking ! Z Hands was freezing.

2013-01-27_16-48-28_402[1].jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.26 MB
 Viewed:  10847 Time(s)

2013-01-27_16-48-28_402[1].jpg

dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isat Palo on a big swell, high tide, and NW winds.
Sunday Chronicle said it was one of the 10 best views of a beach in NorCal. Our wave sailing spot from the early '90's thru '99, but seldom see kiter's there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: