myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Notice of Race
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregnw44

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, really long email... save for when you have time.

I had to re-write this from memory Fri night... I spent much of Fri afternoon (west coast time) writing it, but when I hit SEND, it disappeared ARGH Sad
So from what I can remember, here goes...

Greg from Seattle checking in on two issues -
- "Buzzards Bay Crossing" info.
- "Buzzards Bay Crossing" costs.

* Information - Like many of you I've been eagerly awaiting more news regarding plans for this event.
I've been checking iWindsurf and boardliving.com every day, and today Fri there is finally a bunch of great news!
THANK YOU race staff Smile There is now info on schedules, skipper's meetings, classes, some rules and course info, plus more !!!

Click here and scroll down for the details -
http://www.boardliving.com/events/eventDetail/114

Of course, this is all wind dependent... but I like that you can bring any and all gear... racing will be whatever the race staff and group wants to do... and we'll race whatever makes the most sense, for the most people !!!

Personally, I only have old recreational gear and sails, nothing hi-tech racy or modern. But still, I like racing cause it forces me to learn new things. Pros need the latest stuff, cause they almost never make mistakes and their ability is very close. And therefore, minor gear advantages can make the difference between placing or not.

But for me, I'm late for starts and still fall, so it's more important for me to feel comfortable on my stuff, as opposed to having the latest racy board. So, bring whatever you have: longboards, transition boards, formula, free-ride... and if it blows, a wave board would work. It's all about getting out on the water and having fun Smile

And, hopefully they will plan a couple no-wind contingencies. You all in the area there, know who the knowledgeable and articulate racers are... the team-riders... the helpful store personnel and sales reps. Ask them... I'm sure a couple of them, would volunteer to show up and give us a clinic on either racing, or new gear, or rigging tips, etc. There's always so much that we can all learn, no matter how long we've done this cool sport.

So... YAY !!! some schedule details are now out Smile

* Costs - For the out of town tourists like me, there's no doubt that staying at the cool beach hotel for two nights, which includes a healthy discount AND your weekend race pkg. with delicious extras... is a very good deal. And it's the same room price, whether there's one of you to a room or two. (However, just 1 race pkg, per room.) So, if you can bring your significant other or family or friend (or even solo like me) it's a good deal.

There was a good point raised about the race pkg. cost if you're not staying at the hotel. $180 for the full race package per person sounds expensive. But then I thought about it this way.
$90 for the racing and
$90 for the extras... $180 total.

So... we spend $90 for two days racing, that's $45 per day. Well, that's the same that I pay to do recreational sport fleet races in the Gorge (They hold approx. 6 Gorge Cup races each summer.)

And last summer, I did the US National's in Hood River... and again, it was about $45 per day.

There's a lot of work, putting on windsurfing races: boat, buoys, anchors, a race committee (usually 2 or 3 people), flags, air horns, etc. And it's tough work setting buoys with shifting winds and keeping them in place if you have strong winds and or deep water.
And... if you run a downwind slalom race, you need lots of buoys for separate start and finish lines (and people at both lines) and several jibe marks.
YES... you can do racing for less... we've done it up here in the Seattle area, for less. With all volunteers and your own boat... and you scrounge old buoys from the local sailboat club... and you do VERY simple courses... and you just give the boat owner a few bucks for gas once in a while (except gas is now $4 a gal Smile

Anyway, I'm just saying that $45 a day per sailor... where someone else does all the work and uses their equipment, is not out of line, in my opinion.

And how about the $90 for extras, WHAT?

For that, we get two lunches and one deluxe BBQ dinner... plus a cool brand new windsurfing movie Sat night... AND munchies and a couple beers and an awards ceremony (wait, when are we supposed to go dancing Smile

Also, the meals won't be cold pizza delivered by the kid down the street. They're gourmet meals (designed to build your windsurfing performance the next day Smile prepared by the first class restaurant at the hotel.

Now... I can probably buy 1 dinner and 2 lunches and a beer, for less than $90 while driving across the country in South Dakota. But I hear that Cape Cod is kind of expensive... So getting all that for $90, while at a beach front hotel with ocean view, sounds like a pretty good deal Smile

Anyway, I'm think the hotel and race pkg deal is really good... but the most important thing to me... is that I want to sail with LOTS of other windsurfers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, to the RACE STAFF, I will gladly pay a fee for the race pkg. (besides my hotel costs)... if that helps to defray the race costs for other racers!

Yes, I'm serious.

And no, I'm not a software engineer for Bill Gates here in Seattle at Microsoft. I'm a lowly firefighter for the city of Seattle. Anyway, if I'm gonna drive 6200 miles round trip... I want Buzzards Bay to be buzzing with sails, like it did when I used to read about the cool races that were held there. If there's no wind... then fine, we'll figure out something else to do. But if there's a breeze... I want to be out hanging onto a boom... and get a sailing lesson from you locals.

And to get more sailors out (no matter what gear you have)... the only thing that would be better, is if they would offer a "Race Only" price. I mean, I think the included extra pkg. is worth it. But maybe there's a Boston firefighter (or someone else) that wants to drive back and forth... that would rather bring sandwiches and fruit for lunch. Or you need to get back home Sat after sailing, to take your kid to a baseball game... or grandma's birthday dinner... it would be nice if you could do that...just pay for the racing, and skip the extras.

Anyway, please check your calendar... let's get a ton of sails out there over Memorial Day weekend.

You can put (polite) pressure on the Race Staff... suggest reasonable ideas... this is a first for them... they're open to ideas... but it would be GREAT to resurrect the Buzzards Bay event to it's former glory. Everybody wants it to be a success... but it needs participation !!!

Try to get some of your old windsurfing buds out there... almost any old gear will work.
I'll already tell you... my gear will probably be the oldest. Almost all my boards and sails are from '92 -'94, LOL
I challenge anyone to bring and sail gear, that's older than mine!

Greg Smile
pete1111

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregnw44 wrote:

I'll already tell you... my gear will probably be the oldest. Almost all my boards and sails are from '92 -'94, LOL

Greg Smile

My D2 is from 1978. My slalom kit is Josh's old kit from 3 years ago, it's FAST
I am probably camping the whole weekend so if the weather is have way decent I'll be there. I don't need much wind.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By popular request, I'm please to announce that the Buzzards Bay Crossing will now offering a Race-ONLY ticket. Good for either category (windsurfing or SUP) for one day. Purchase two tickets to race on both days. These Race-ONLY tickets are exactly that. Racing and a T-shirt, but no meals or other amenities included.

We want to make this event available to as many people as possible, and have listened to everyone. A single Race-ONLY ticket is available for $40. Good for either category (windsurfing or SUP) for one day. Purchase two tickets to race on both days. These Race-ONLY tickets are exactly that. Racing and a T-shirt, but no meals or other amenities included.

I hope this resolves the price issue I look forward to seeing everyone!

gregnw44

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pete1111 wrote:
gregnw44 wrote:

Greg Smile

I am probably camping the whole weekend so if the weather is have way decent I'll be there. I don't need much wind.

Pete... WOW... talk about "covering the spectrum"... that's awesome!!!
I bought my first board brand new in '81 (as a very young lad)... an Alpha Professional. It was narrow with a D2 front end, but had a straighter, flat tail (still narrow though).
My '93 F2 Lightning raceboard that I use now, is much easier to sail Smile

I saw the type of brand new... very hi-end slalom kits at National's last summer that Phil McGain and Bruce Peterson and Tyson Poor were riding. I'm sure your kit is very similar... geez, very impressive stuff.

If it gets windy enough, I'll be on my '93 Bic Electric Rock... which is easier for me, cause it goes slower and I don't get so scared, LOL
Greg -
gregnw44

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Race Staff... Eddie and Dan -
"We want to make this event available to as many people as possible, and have listened to everyone. A single Race-ONLY ticket is available for $40. Good for either category (windsurfing or SUP) for one day. Purchase two tickets to race on both days. These Race-ONLY tickets are exactly that. Racing and a T-shirt, but no meals or other amenities included."

THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wait... WHAT ???
And you get a t-shirt for that ?!?!?!?

There hadn't been any mention of THAT yet. I was budgeting $20 for a nice Cape Cod souvenir t-shirt. But to get one included... That brings 2 days of racing down to $50 !!

Tell everyone you know... support this race now... sign up early... no matter how much (or little) wind there is... THIS EVENT is important to support... lets fill up Buzzards Bay with all kinds of different windsurfing sails... get local experts to give sailing clinics if we have to wait for wind... so much to learn... fun to hang out with windsurfers, even if there's a light wind forecast... sign up and support !!!

Go here for details (there's 2 places to scroll down) -
http://www.boardliving.com/events/eventDetail/114

And there's page here. I'm not much of facebook user, but it could be a place for some to talk about it, share info, ask questions, posts pics, etc.
https://www.facebook.com/events/152441641581410/?fref=ts

Thanks Dan and Eddie !!!!

Greg Smile
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie also has a wide variety of boards that can be used for light wind. They are beginner boards like the Bic Nova but they can be a hoot in light wind for everyone. Different desires between the sort of racing or competition styles and intensity always exists among people. I've seen it all and raced on nearly every type of board in a wide range of conditions, from wooden booms and 35 knots to FW in 5 knots. Fun and challenging usually is what we make it. Heck, if a windsurfer wants to race a SUP for a while or vice versa, I'm in favor of that, too!

A wide variety of courses can be expected but we will work together to offer what's best for the field and try not to be too rigid. That's why only Part 2 (When Boats Come Together) and Appendix B (Windsurfing rules) apply. We encourage fair racing, self-correction for any infractions and hope formal protests do not occur.

I hope a local contingent of longboard racers joins us. If so, we will run some traditional upwind/downwind/triangles for sure. But longboards can do slalom or other more funky courses more "fun" or less traditional.

We should also get to see some custom racing SUPs and some elite paddlers, too. I'm looking forward to the SUP side of things nearly as much as the windsurfing side! So bring your paddles and boards, too!

outcast

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many spins on a SUP in one minute?
I can spin....hopefully too much wind for SUP

Pete1111: Camp at my house....110 V.... Hot showers and coffee....can use tree house. Must like ducks.

Dan THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

spookini

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Parking for BBay Crossing? Reply with quote

Hey, great to hear about the "RACE-ONLY" registration option... A very wise move to boost participation! Gotta spread the word now to the local SUP community!! Would really be great to see a packed house and LOTS OF GEAR out on the beach. What's better than geeking out over other ppl's gear? Wink

Dan, one big question: Will participants be able to park at the hotel? Parking at Old Silver is very tight and usually the SeaCrest parking is "guests only". Even if we had to pay a modest parking fee to park at the hotel, it sure would be helpful. Please advise?

Thanks!
feuser

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete, i think your D2 is from 1988, not 78. Are you driving up there that Friday? I am thinking of car-pooling with "The Moderator(TM)"...

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
feuser

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregnw44 wrote:
pete1111 wrote:
gregnw44 wrote:

Greg Smile

Pete... WOW... talk about "covering the spectrum"... that's awesome!!!
I bought my first board brand new in '81 (as a very young lad)... an Alpha Professional. It was narrow with a D2 front end, but had a straighter, flat tail (still narrow though).
My '93 F2 Lightning raceboard that I use now, is much easier to sail Smile

I saw the type of brand new... very hi-end slalom kits at National's last summer that Phil McGain and Bruce Peterson and Tyson Poor were riding. I'm sure your kit is very similar... geez, very impressive stuff.

If it gets windy enough, I'll be on my '93 Bic Electric Rock... which is easier for me, cause it goes slower and I don't get so scared, LOL
Greg -

Greg, I have a new-ish 8.5 2011 3CAM KA Koncept sitting in Watertown, if you need a weapon for race day!

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: