myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
war is a racket
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: war is a racket Reply with quote

For those of us who believe that the purpose of our military is to"preserve our borders", perhaps we shoul think again.http://www.warisaracket.org/
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole Washington sespool is awash in corruption. These wars have done us no good. None. We have learned nothing from the ancient Romans, The Soviets?

Give us a Roman general who would have surrounded the country, destroyed the water and food supply, and sat and waited for a white flag. Many city states where taken by Rome with not one Roman soldier being killed.

The fish starts stinking from the head, but both parties are foul for sure.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Revolutionary War and WW II were indispensable.
The war on radical Islamic terrorism, IN PRINCIPLE, was mandatory.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know why the link would not work to www.warisaracket.org/ did you check it out?
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. Got this far:
Welcome to THE SMEDLEY BUTLER SOCIETY
dedicated to peace------- anti-war--------- anti-intervention.

Anyone who supports that in this context is not rational. It guarantees war, and on our own soil.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Isobats you read the first page! Please continue...... if you have the courage...... Major General Smedley Butler was one of our countries greatest marines, having won the congresional medal of honor twice. His career lasted 34 years. There is lots more great information about the mans life, and what our military's main purpose is...........Please read on!
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't you listen to Eisenhower Iso? Beware of the military industrial complex.

Study ancient Rome Iso. BTW, I agree on WW2, Civil, and the Revolutionary war. Most of the rest were pure bullshit. What did we get out of Vietnam, Korea, Afgahnistan, Iraq, Libya, Egypt? We got maimed young men and Islamists buzzing around like an angry beehives. We haven't even seen the unintended consequences yet.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not forget what the far right had to say about Eisenhower, that he was a communist plant and was out to destroy our country. Sound familiar?
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slinky wrote:
.Please read on!

I tried, but the very next paragraph was even worse:
Smedley Butler wrote:
I spent 33 years and 4 months in active service as a member of our country's most agile military force--the Marine Corps. I served in all commissioned ranks from second lieutenant to Major General. And during that period I spent most of my time being a high-class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and for the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer for capitalism. I suspected I was part of a racket all the time. Now I am sure of it. Like all members of the military profession I never had an original thought until I left the service."

I commend his service, and of course many or most of our wars, even the ones with honorable intentions, were mismanaged at best, often totally bungled. And while he and Eisenhower were right to distrust, even fear, the MIC, notice that MG Butler died before Pearl Harbor. His closing sentence above destroys his credibility regarding the quality and qualifications of our military forces and people. Maybe he was too early on the scene to recognize the brilliance of upcoming original thinkers and doers like Billy Mitchell, Hyman Rickover, and the LONG list of military original thinkers from then to Iraq, but how can he deny the innovations from Roman times up to his death in 1940? I realize that of our five major branches of the armed forces, his most thoroughly emphasized action over innovation, but he and his present day followers shouldn't let that stifle their thinking to such an alarming (and otherwise laughable) extent. Do they not realize that to radical Islamic jihadists, peacenicks look like a row of cowards bending over to pick up the soap?
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Major General Smedley Butler was not at all anti millitary. He was against wars that were for the protection and expansion of American business interests. Our millitary today is just that, a tool of big business. But it is also much more than that.

I had to wonder why such a highly decorated Major General, would after spending 33+ years of his life fighting war after war retire, and then speak out so strongly against these foreign wars we started fighting. Prior to 1898 we had not fought any. He quotes George Washingtons warning of foreign entsnglements. I think what may have put him over the top was that after the great war, the war to end all wars ,and the one to "make the world safe for democracy," a war in which 10-20 million people died, he saw a world emerge in which there was less democracy, and he saw the storm clouds of yet another great war brewing. He was certain of another world war.

Perhaps he felt it was all in vain.

I think it is good for the soul to try to understand other people's points of view, even if they are opposed to your own.

He saw these wars increase our national debt from $1,000,000,000 in 1898 to over $25,000,000,000 after W.W.I

It's these damn wars that are bankrupting our country! "To Hell with War!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: