myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
wave sailing location showdown
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poussin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: wave sailing location showdown Reply with quote

So...... as y'all are chillin' by the fire this winter, thinking about the up-coming
windsurfing season, I've got another topic to discuss.

What is your favorite wave sailing place?
Davenport, Waddell, Ho'okipa, Jalama, Pistol River, or how about Punta San Carlos mio amigos?
I'm sure you all have your opinions.........so cough'em up!
Of course I'm talking west coast and Hawaii, cuz that's our backyard.

Let's hear where you like and why you like it.

Though I've not yet been, Punta San Carlos looks pretty damn cool and I can't wait to shred with some of me windsurfing bros down there.

So put your thoughts together and post them here-don't delay........

Thanks for your participation.......this test will be graded on a curve.

You may begin .....NOW!

G Cool
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PSC is the slowest moving, weakest breaking, mushiest wave with excellent form for beginner wave sailors and modern high performance moves. It's by far the most friendly and easiest for beginners.
Tourmaline is close, but with any sizing, can start to get real, so conditions go from easy to hard really fast.
Huntington/Sunset in offshore fall winds are great in the wave dept., but gusty/holey winds and blowing sand, and unfriendly beach officials, can make the experience tough.
Ventura can be really fun, as can Leo, but surfer's and their attitudes often get in the way. Easy channels, easy slow waves.
As you get up to Jalama, it get's more real. Beachbreak shifts, gusty changing winds, and moderately powerful waves make a chalenge as much as a wave sailing experience.
Campus/Devs/ElCap/Refugio can get nice big board (floaty) DTL wave sailing but gusty winds and loneliness can be a problem for some.
Haven't sailed those spots S of SanSimeon, but shorepound and inside waves make for experienced only.
Asilomar/Spanish bay both have moderate strong waves, good organization, both working pre storm at their best.
3rd/2nd reef Lane is the nicest for pictures, side off winds in the spring and an easy launch from It's.
NB is great ocean sailing, but waves out of the windline make wave riding a 2 in 5 day experience and needs floaty wave boards...close to rocks.
Scotts is too onshore, except for the gusty N days, and that reef on the S of the break can break for real.
Davs is moderate wave and strong winds, probably the premier spot around here.
Wads is mostly side/on backside wave sailing, but S swells and slightly Northerly winds can allow for 4 bottom turn off the lip combos.
Gazo's on a slight N of NW can be DTL, but it's a strong shorepounder similar to FaceRock in Oregon.
Pigeon S of the Lighthouse can be fun swell riding on huge days, NW winds, the easy launch right at the armpit downwind of the dirt parking S of the Point. Floaty boards to get out and in with grace.
Pesca, Greg, and Pomp can be fun S wind wave riding, but more trouble than it's worth, being good one in 5 days, and breaking your EQ and training your swimming the other's.
SnowWhite, Venice in HMB on S or NNW can be very good, if the swells are controlled from the S, the tide correct for the swell sizing, and you're quick to beachstart in receding waters from steep beaches.
LindaMar is basically worthless, as AaronWright can attest, as it's generally too offshore for proper wave riding and the good days are maybe one in 20, with sideshore from the S and decent S swells.
SharpPark can be OK, as the surfer's who migrated there from OceanBeach can attest, but it needs an organized small swell and pre storm S winds.
OceanBeach on a NW is onshore wind slalom sailing, but on S winds, can be DTL Diamond Head direction wave riding....but most end up down the beach due to the strongest surf in California.
Stinson on a S is easy fun wave sailing, lots of closeouts the only problems, but seldom a challenge. On NW, better get there pre 1PM, or the wind shifts over the Mesa, and dies inside.
Agate at the cut, the rivermouth, is best on a NNW and you can sail the right reef small wave, but the wind is usually stronger than the wave speed, making waveriding kinda....eh.
Palo we used to think of as Dav N, but in reality, it's inconsistent, giving good days maybe 2 in 5, great days 1 in 30. Couple breaks, warm beach, nice thrilling hikedown unless you go the one mile long winding tourist road.
Limantour can be great with big W swells and NW winds, usually lower tides so the outside break is PSC similar direction and strength. Long walks, you can bother to pinch 45 minutes to Tuba, but it's not wave riding up there with offshore winds and weak steep waves.
Dillon is fun NW outside reef backside wave riding, and on N winds, can be real DTL off the right side of the beach. A little lonely and sharky for all but the hardcore.
BodegaHead would be good if you can ride the left, but the right's are too mushy and not worth the effort of downwinding out there and getting home.
7thHole is the longest backside wave around here.
Backyards is nothing like RIP, but it's pretty darn good, similar to Hookipa.
They won't let your ride Sunset, Chuns, or Lanikea anymore, but it's fantastic DTL big wave wave sailing.
Moks is Easterly beach break, mostly backhand, maybe two OTL combos in a true E.
Hukilau blows 20 when the whole island is 10, and you sail outside MaleakahanaBeach in the ocean swells, similar to RIP.
CrouchingLion across the mouth allows you to wave ride both ends of the run, onshore winds, but very smooth because it's totally inside the reefs.
Kailua isn't really wave riding, but the FlatIsland wave looks like PSC.
Blackpoint is DTL wave riding, similar to small Brownies.
DH is the normal spot, but shifty waves and getting caught inside more a factor than appears in mags and video.
Maui you know.
Kaui has Maleakana on the W shore, and Hanalei/Middles on the N shores, with onshore wind wave riding. Tunnells/Dumptrucks is the normal side off wave sailing spot.
martyrosse

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you did PSC justice because the Chili Bowl break isn't weak and mushy, and the main break isn't that much weaker and mushier than Davenport. Though the main break is a very slow break. All-in-all, PSC offers a good time for beginner to advanced wave sailors.

I love Davenport for the wave, break variety, channel, the views from the water looking north and inland toward the mountains. Also offers awesome weather off the water, rigging, and apres-sailing. Definitely requires smart, careful approach if you are new to wavesailing, best to go a few times with someone who knows the spot before trying on your own. I pass during fall because of you know why.

Would have to give the nod to PSC though when I recollect some epic Chili Bowl sessions on a south swell--steady side-off winds, wave that peels for ever and throws a predictable lip, mast high, gorgeous desert mountain back drop, safe....come-on...what more do you want!! (though I haven't sailed Maui and a lot of other places, so...)
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problems is I've only been to PSC for 3 trips, in Mays.
One was only 7 days, the rest 20-37 days.
Never ever seen a "mast high" wave there, or even many pictures of a "logo" high wave there.
Mast is 14'. Logo I guess is a true 6' wave.
Head high is a little lower/smaller.
Just like many Brazilians rave about their little point wave spot. Anyone ever seen a pic of it going off at 6'? Seem tons of pics at 2-3' mushy crumblers.
martyrosse

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, that's a good point about PSC. If you want to include size of wave as a criteria, PSC would score relatively low. That's why it's a great learning wave--even the solid swells aren't scary. Though I've caught it mast high a couple times in the last few years, and I may have missed at least a few swells that were mast high. That whole SoloSports fly-in option helps with that. Usually it's only mast high for a day, or two at best. One of these trips was the Labor Day "Godzilla" swell that was like the biggest south swell in a decade or something. At PSC you can enjoy big swells like that when you wouldn't want to go out elsewhere.

I've been in Apr/May for 2 weeks on two occassions. Lots of windswell that ranged from waist to head high, and a couple fun-sized south swells that were about head high.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange.
I was a surfer for 20 odd years, and sorta kept track of S swells, which are useless in SanFrancisco. We need W with long periods.
Souths can be big from late March thru October, and you never know for sure when is the best time of the year to go, since it changes, and wind is of equal importance.
Strong NW can knock down a swell size for sure.
Calm conditions are great for swell travel, as is winds from behind.
I figure, a mast is at least 14'. "Mast high" doesn't mean half way up, 1/3frd, or 2/3rds. It's all the way above 14'.
I"m sure it CAN happen, just never seen pics or know of anyone really sailing it that sizing.
martyrosse

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a pic of someone on a logo high wave from my trip last fall:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/frenchyphoto/8033206442/in/photostream

I don't have any pics of myself, but someone told me I was on a wave that was over my mast. Seemed to me like a saw many waves that size that day. So I call it mast high. I guess it would be better to call it logo high though.

Here's a mast high one from the other trip:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150291811408143&set=a.10150291810548143.340672.56237898142&type=3&theater

Watch surfline for baja. You can see these swells coming. Not sure if I remember what size and period to wait for. As for wind, both trips I had enough wind and I weigh 210lbs.
higgybaby

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the chick on the black hotsail is only like 4 feet tall so take that into account.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pics!
But when you do the math....
Mast is 14, about. Lay it down say...45 degrees.
Add a camera angle off a 20' high mesa....
Face of wave might be 15'.
What is the height of the wave?
thuledog

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

higgybaby wrote:
I think the chick on the black hotsail is only like 4 feet tall so take that into account.

Ya, that little girl Lindsey is hot. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: