myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Ice machine is ON!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
speedysailor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iceratz wrote:
SPEEDY SAILOR wrote:
Quote:
Actually, you should consider ice kiting

Actually you probably should NOT! I have seen an ice kiter get dragged to the limits of the lake more than once. Smooth ice will be impossible to stop when you fall, even when the kite is down.
Snow Kiting however is a different story, using skiis, and you can safely stop.
Baloney. If you know how to fly a traction kite, (something that Iceratz does not know how to do), it's less dangerous than using a sail. I remember setting up my kite when Brownie and his friends were on the ice. One of them wouldn't stop annoying me with his "old lady" warnings and ignorances. By the way I saw ice fishermen out on some Massachusetts lakes yesterday, Asnacomet near Princeton and one of the ponds in the Brookfield area. They were covered with snow, though. I was downhill skiing, but if we see a period of cold weather, I might want to try snow kiting!!!
iceratz@comcast.net

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Baloney. If you know how to fly a traction kite. One of them wouldn't stop annoying me with his "old lady" warnings and ignorances.

hummm....carewith with that tone bud, this 'old lady' may be there to help rescue you someday.

BTW, I do know how to fly tractions kites, what makes's you think I don't? Wink

Fact is, when you drop a kite on wicked smooth open ice, there is no securing it unless you have assistance.
Most of the guys I sail/kite with on Lake Sunapee use the older ram-air foil designs which will automatically deflate when they drop the kite, just for that reason to depower. Kites with pumped bladders that stay shaped cause the most problems on clear ice.

And I'll say again, snow is a diff story, which will stop a downed kite .
w8n4wind

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is amazing how hot ice can feel when youre getting dragged on your butt by a kite across it.. takes a long time to get it to stop on clear ice.
but, a kite and skates can be a lot of fun, but since i got the freeskate, i'd much rather do that.

windydoug

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Additional, less techincal plans are available here:

http://www.amcboston.org/windsurf/iceboardinfo/

View my board from the above plans here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uT5UlXkOn8

Most often folks use a sheet of plywood for the deck, covered in part with all weather carpet. I added some hex head screws on the deck for better traction. I used a piece of oak on the bottom for a spline. My wider back truck was from a mountain board. Used stock steel available from harware stores. I added a threaded rod brace on both the fron and back sets of blades. On the front blades I also added a firm rubber bushing to allow for the blades to slightly and independently adjust for uneven ice, and for turning.

Regarding the future participation in Freeskate/Ice windsurfing I think that we are cursed by a younger generation that if they can't buy it, then they sure as hell can't build it.

Doug
rochesterwindsports.com
pueno

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysailor wrote:
By the way I saw ice fishermen out on some Massachusetts lakes yesterday, Asnacomet near Princeton and one of the ponds in the Brookfield area. They were covered with snow, though. I was downhill skiing, but if we see a period of cold weather, I might want to try snow kiting!!!

Brucie, why are you in Massachusetts this season? Shouldn't you be in VB enjoying the sunshine and warm winds?

No longer have the condo?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: