myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Boom Recommendations?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RhodeIsland

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Boom Recommendations? Reply with quote

Intermediate/advanced surfer - around 4+ yrs of experience. Conditions generally choppy water and not too much slalom stuff, really looking for something to power up a 7.5m and go in a straight line. Any recs/advice welcome! Thank you!
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that I'm far off the map saying that your choices follow either with the Aluminum or Carbon path. I'm a carbon guy, but that might not necessary suggest that would be best for you. Generally though, the bigger the sail, the more carbon booms make the most sense, particularly when it comes to longevity and stiffness. If you sail in salt water, carbon is the way to go.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the top left of this page for the search button. Click on it. On the resulting page, enter the word boom in the keyword window, then look further down and left and click on the button to Display results as Topics. Now drop one line further down and click on SEARCH.

The results will keep you busy until the weather warms up again.

Mike \m/
spennie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

22 years windsurfing, big guy, 6'4" + 208 lbs. IMHO, anything over 7m needs cambers and a carbon boom. You start stretching an aluminum boom out to 7m or bigger, you're going to have flexibility problems. "Problems" meaning that when you flex a boom outward at the harness lines, it gets shorter end to end. Not rocket science. If your boom gets shorter, your outhaul setting decreases, increasing the draft and giving the sail more power --- right when a gust is hitting you. Bad combo.

Aluminum also gets fatigued fairly easily, so the increased flexibility speeds up the snapping process. I have carbon booms that I've dangled my fatass off of for 12-15 years and more, so it's a good long-term investment. I have several brands, all good, although I really like my Chinook the best.

Seriously, get at least one carbon boom for your larger sails. Buy it so it's shortest setting works on your 6.5 or 7.0, that way it will fit larger sails too. It will feel better, too, although that's kind of intangible.

keycocker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks have very good reasons for using carbon that go back 10 to 15 years. Each year new innovations bring alu booms new stiffness and longevity. My monocoque Aeron alums are 8 years old and get 10 months a year wave usage, in salt, never rinsed.
Those who try them are surprised how light and stiff they are.
We sold hundreds of them, sometimes to folks who brought in carbon booms hoping they could be repaired since they cost $500 to $700 and we sold Aeron HPL aluminums for $165.
Pick a Alum monocoque Chinook off the shelf and try to spread the arms, then do the same with a carbon Chinook. This is an inexact test but if there is a reason to pay three times as much, seems like you would feel a little something.
With all due respect I have never never spoken to a client who was sure carbon was worth it because they had a new monocoque in their quiver they were comparing.
Those I speak to who are sure, all seemed to have formed that opinion based on tech from long ago.
spennie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wave sail with a 7.5 much?

Those Aerons look very good, I've considered them myself in the smaller sizes, but am sticking with my contention that on big sails (the O.P. was talking about a 7.5), carbon is the way to go.

My 8.2 racing sail has a boom length of 209cm, and I weigh 208 right now. Aluminum boom? Don't think so. If aluminum was really as strong as carbon they wouldn't lay up giant sheets to make fighter jet wings, they'd use less expensive aluminum.

As for being worth it, that's up to the individual sailor. I strongly believe it is, in the larger sizes.

P.S. I noticed that Aeron also makes carbon booms. Why?

coachg

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keycocker wrote:
Pick a Alum monocoque Chinook off the shelf and try to spread the arms, then do the same with a carbon Chinook. This is an inexact test but if there is a reason to pay three times as much, seems like you would feel a little something.

Good point. But I would be more interested if you did that test 1 year later, much less 3 or more years later, especially on large sails. I'm guessing that even on small wave sails there will be a difference over time.

Coachg
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair about things, I quit using aluminum booms back in 1992. I broke every one of them over time at the front end or at the connections. For me the final draw was breaking 6 Windsurfing Hawaii aluminum front ends in 1992. After that I started using the older design Gulftech carbon booms that were made in Texas. I loved those booms, but I broke nearly every one because they had aluminum inside the front end component. Over and over again aluminum has proven itself to be so subject to repeated stress and corrosion. While I'm not a big person, I do have this knack for breaking booms. I've even broken a 100% carbon boom too, but it took 5 years to do it. The HPL and Maui Sails carbon booms I have now are holding up very well, and after retrofitting the HPL with the MS front end, it performs better than when I bought it new in 2004. Also, I still have one of the old Gulftech carbon booms with the aluminum in the front end for my two smallest sails. Although it's old, I'm optimistic that it will live forever because it doesn't really see as much use yearly.

However, despite my prejudices, I have to say that keycocker brings up a noteworthy point about the evolution of aluminum booms to the current monocoque designs. I have no doubt that they are now far stiffer overall, particularly when used with smaller sails, and arguably less subject to salt water intrusion through the front end like older style aluminum booms. Yet, when it comes to larger sails, I'm of the view that aluminum still lacks the stiffness, to include its susceptibility to fatigue, to equal carbon. No doubt though, the benefits of carbon come at a steep price. So for someone who is price conscious and traditionally not too tough on booms, the newer monocoque aluminum would be a good choice for smaller sails. Maybe they might even be satisfactory with sails 7.0 and up. I guess we need some added input from those who can make that case.

Lastly, would I ever buy an aluminum boom? Quite honestly, no. I can afford to go the premium route, and I can see no reason to take any chances. It's one of those areas where the motto that "you get what you paid for" rings true to me.
paulf.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

liked the feel of the north oval shaped alu booms, every one(3) exploded unexpectedly after one year of use in salt water from inside corrosion not at all detectable by outside inspection, will never buy alu in any size again.
ron.c

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Holidays all:

After repeated reglassing of a Fiberspar back end, I went on a Chinook Aluminum austerity program.

A middle of the packer, weighing a solid 60# less than PaulF and max out with a 6.0; no regrets.

RC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: