myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing Kaanapali?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dsiskind2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:12 am    Post subject: Windsurfing Kaanapali? Reply with quote

Does any one have any info on windsurfing near kaanapali? I know the best windsurfing is on the North shore but I may be going on a Family trip in late May or early June and staying in Kaanapali. I can either try to windsurf there or commute to the North Shore (how long would that take?) or a combination of both.

I heard theres a spot called s curves but couldn't find much about: what it's like, where the launch is, how consistent it is that time of year etc... any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Windsurfing Kaanapali? Reply with quote

I stay in Kaanapali often and commute over to Kanaha to windsurf.
The trip takes about 45 minutes. It's well worth the drive.

I've never sailed on the Kaanapali side, and frankly rarely seen
wind anywhere along there. Kihei, gets some reasonable wind when it's
not blowing on the North shore though.

-Craig

dsiskind2 wrote:
Does any one have any info on windsurfing near kaanapali? I know the best windsurfing is on the North shore but I may be going on a Family trip in late May or early June and staying in Kaanapali. I can either try to windsurf there or commute to the North Shore (how long would that take?) or a combination of both.

I heard theres a spot called s curves but couldn't find much about: what it's like, where the launch is, how consistent it is that time of year etc... any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You gotta drive. There's no sailing at Kaanipali in the summer, whereas I've sailed from Kihei condo lawns (or the often-less-windy windward/north shore) every day for weeks and weeks in the summertime, sometimes staying rigged for many days in a row. In a nutshell, Kaanipali is primarily for tourists who like its beauty and kitsch and don't mind its incredible heat, whereas Kihei and the north/windward shore are more oriented to water sports enthusiasts who don't mind their generally cruder environment. (Then there's upcountry for a whole 'nuther feel yet.)
carl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Molokai Challenge (see website with same dotcom name)
starts from somewhere in Kaanapali, so it is possible to sail there.
Probably better to just goto north shore though. You can go the northern route, it's shorter, very senic but may or may not be faster since it's a narrow road in spots. But Lahina traffic may slow you down alot too.
rcastle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said in earlier responses driving the 45 minutes is the sure way to sail
safely.

I have seen once in late afternoon from the Whaler Hotel in Kannapali two guys swim their gear out to the wind line (about 50 or more yards from shore) then water start out. They were doing very long reaches to where
I lost sight of them from above in the hotel window. Since that moment I
always wondered (not wished for) what it would be like to sail in those secluded waters.

And this was back in the day before short 'n wide boards Wink

Ron
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcastle wrote:
I always wondered (not wished for) what it would be like to sail in those secluded waters.

It's spooky enough sailing a few miles west (out of sight in the fog some times) of Oregon and several miles west of Kihei. I still don't know, though, whether that sinusoidal ocean horizon you see west of Kihei is optical illusion or freaking BIG swell.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While every single body of water can be windsurfed some time of a milenium, bear in mind you are the only windsurfer out there, you are not the natural creature out there, the winds can die suddenly because it's not a normal windsurf area, and the current's W of Lanai can be stronger than current's of normally windsurfed areas.
If you're comfortable pioneering windsurfing spots on your own, and have self rescue skills and good judgement, go for it.
In the late '80's, lot of windsurfer's had to pioneer new windsurfing spots, and most lived to tell the tale.
chophop

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 12 years back one of the windsurf magazines had a spread with Robby Naish sailing Over there somewhere on that side of the island--Lahina or Kaanapali on Kona winds and a big south swell. On normal trade wind days Kaanapali is completely wind shadowed by the West Maui Mountains.

If you need to ask, you would probably be best off at Kiehe or Kanaha. It is always worth it to drive an hour for good conditions, not to mention a forgiving launch. Usually there are good reasons why people sail at some places and not others and at least in the beginning, exploratory phase, it is probably a good idea to run with the herd.

As an aside if you plan to go surfing or stand up paddling on the leeward side of the Island ( the Thousand Peaks area) , a few miles south of Kaanapali I suggest you wear foot protection and some kind of shirt or rash guard, since there are some really shallow reefs out there. Same is true off Kiehe. Smile
nw30

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just forget about it, the only thing that Kaanapali is good for is snorkling out in front of the Sheraton, at the point, or walking along the conc. boardwalk, and swimming in all the different pools, at the different resorts.
Just dive in, swim around for awhile and then leave, no problem. But you can't hang out at any one pool, they can tell who's who by the towels that they have, so no towels, and keep moving, it can be fun, some nice slides also, take your kids (if you have any), teach them how to cheat. Wink
trey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been to Maui 28 out of the last 30 years and I've Kaanapali exactly twice.It's possible but don't count on it. There is a good break at the Royal Lahaina and there is public access there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: