myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Frosty Friday !
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rastasurf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Winter Solstice 6 Reply with quote

Sailing with a buddy

not alone.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  70.82 KB
 Viewed:  11064 Time(s)

not alone.jpg

rastasurf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Winter Solstice 7 Reply with quote

Later that day at Deveroux

Deveroux.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  785.76 KB
 Viewed:  11062 Time(s)

Deveroux.jpg

Deveroux.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  785.76 KB
 Viewed:  11062 Time(s)

Deveroux.jpg

speedysailor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are some great pics, but I do have serious questions regarding the sanity of people who would sail this late in the season in R.I. However, I give you credit for being hearty and brave!!!!
outcast

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh Yes .... the sanity issue......

Welcome back Scratchynuts...

antoinebo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Josh - Respect Reply with quote

Ego is a funny thing...
You sail a couple times with a legend, You get a few pics of yourself posted on a magical R.I Sunday, Evans calls you back on a windy day, Outcast even says hello once, or was it a nod...that one takes time, but still a nod from Outcast common...
You start thinking of membership to Abide Team North. (We all know Team South is a dream few live to ever see realized)
You feel good about yourself.
Then you show up at this rocky point in Nahant, all you see is Side Off - weird lulls with gusts to 45kts and rocks everywhere. But the Legend is there all excited to try this "Awesome Point Break.."
So you rig 4.7 - then 5.3 cause Josh just laughed at you - And when Josh laughs at you... you re-rig. Period.
You scale down this 30 ft rocky ledge and start by spending 10 minutes getting washed around in freezing sea water and bouncing off rocks everywhere.
Finally make it out wishing my 5.3 turned into a 4.2 somehow. Cant see the break, nothing but rocks
15 more minutes of this nonsense and finally try to go back to the shore - another 10 minutes of washing machine Option 1=> HiPower, Hirinse, cold water and rocks .. Repeat...

meanwhile I look up and Josh is hitting the lip of this head high right - Bottom turn around a biggo rock, another off the lip - Style
Nothing but Respect

Team Abide will have to wait. Back to work.
antoinebo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way - Who's in Thursday - 45 F gusts to 60 sounds like fun to me....
WaterKook

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not late in the season! We had no season!!!! This is the beginning!!
OK so I went and sailed some SWEET flat water in 30 knots and Outcast tried to ridicule me for it. But if it was Angulo at the slick Outcast would be saying how he is such the man who can do it all flat water speed, waves.....
Well slicks are not just for kiter's!!! https://vimeo.com/56193458

boardsurfr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice movie, Jerry. Lots of fun sailing with you in the slicks. In case anyone wants to see more from the same day: http://youtu.be/0H_XNmaY0mo
Or read about it at http://boardsurfr.blogspot.com/2012/12/fin-lesson.html
speedysailor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somehow sitting here in a comfortable chair, sipping Benedictine and Brandy out of a cordial glass with a warm fire at my side, following this thread and watching these vids seems much more enjoyable than freezing in high winds, rain and deadly waves. However, that may be just old age taking over. You guys are definitely the bomb, better athletes by far than I. Then again when I was your age I was skiing some rather gnarly terrain in near white out conditions and thinking that I really must be insane, that I was a fool to leave a warm cabin or the hot ladies at the bar to battle frostbite and hypothermia all by myself. As to selecting your equipment because of a lack of humility in the face of better athletes or worsening conditions, I can tell you some rather unpleasant stories about career ending injuries which could have been avoided with a wiser attitude. Looking at the videos, I see the board tail moving all over the place while the rig seems totally rigid. Now, I am no expert, but given the fact that the wind was gusty and up&down (What the hell is the difference there?) wouldn't a little more play with the rig in and out (out for gusts, in for lulls) have served you better?
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysailor, the camera is attached to the rig, which is why it looks perfectly rigid, even if it's moving all over the place. My rig was definitely not as rigid as it seems; most of the small motions where rig motions, not board motions. The larger motions, especially at low speed, were board motions from spinouts & slides due to too small a fin & sail-board mismatch.
Quote:
watching these vids seems much more enjoyable than freezing in high winds, rain and deadly waves
Glad you like the videos. But who was freezing? Air temps were around 50, and the rain held off until after our 90 minute session. I was hot the entire time, and I'm sure the same is true for Jerry.
For me, the waves probably would have been deadly, which is why I stayed on perfectly flat water. But for Josh, this was just a nice little water playground, I bet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: