myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gun Nuts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 329, 330, 331  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nw30

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickB wrote:
As the parent of a kid in public elementary school, I think it makes sense to shoot blanks in the context of such an announced drill.

As a parent myself, I think this is utter BS, it's not like kids now days don't have enough to deal with on a normal day. So now they want to subject them to this kind of fear to add to their daily concerns, WTF?!?
This has gotten out of control.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote, N.W. 30.

'This has gotten out of control.'

Thank you sir for a touch of sanity. From where those of us of different cultures sit, we can only shake our heads in disbelief at some of the statements we read, including some on this thread.

Isn't it the cowards who are driving this rush to an arms race among the whole of the general populace? i.e. I (me me me) must have a bigger and better weapon than anybody else because I'm s**t scared someone might attack me! The inevitable consequence would be an escalation, and ACCEPTANCE, of violence in society as the norm, especially when the children have all been indoctrinated!
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any school kid who would be traumatized by hearing an advertised drill including staged gunshots is being brought up to be too fearful of life in general, IMO. The police and civilian gun training professionals advise familiarizing kids with guns by at least first grade, if not sooner. The less taboo ANY topic, substance, or subject is, the less fascinating it is to them. On a personal basis, my childhood home contained a huge variety of alcohol and cigarettes plus a .45 pistol, none hidden or locked. I was never interested in any of them because they were so readily accessible. The only reason any of that has changed for me is the realities of today's world, and hiding it from children leaves them ill-equipped to deal with it.
NickB

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
As a parent myself, I think this is utter BS, it's not like kids now days don't have enough to deal with on a normal day. So now they want to subject them to this kind of fear to add to their daily concerns, WTF?!?

Besides quake and fire drills, our school district has already been doing such "armed intruder on campus" drills for a few years, with the assistance of the local PD. You seem to affirm they're politically motivated, but I think these drills are a necessary evil, and getting the kids familiar with the lethal pops of a gun in the hallway make the drills better, that was my whole point.
MULLDE102f

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobars said:
Some people go through life as frightened sheep.

Coudn't have come up with a better self-description, Mike
pueno

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MULLDE102f wrote:
Isobars said:
Some people go through life as frightened sheep.

Coudn't have come up with a better self-description, Mike

A sheep in wolf's clothing.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickB wrote:
nw30 wrote:

Besides quake and fire drills, our school district has already been doing such "armed intruder on campus" drills for a few years, with the assistance of the local PD. You seem to affirm they're politically motivated, but I think these drills are a necessary evil, and getting the kids familiar with the lethal pops of a gun in the hallway make the drills better, that was my whole point.

There's a difference between the intruder drill that typically are labelled, "Secure in Place" and some other that introduces faux reality similar to the Army in basic training. The difference is more than pops and bangs, smoke and yelling. The difference is in the brain development of the young participants.

Here in CT, I cannot fathom a drill that intentionally evokes the recent, nearby tragedy or otherwise provides an evocative experience for purposes of "realism." For many kids -especially the younger children, any sort of visceral replay of that horror will, not may, but will trigger the immature psychological response of replaying the memory over and over. Young kids simply cannot compartmentalize an experience as belonging to another if that experience was shared in some meaningful way. The real horror is repeated in the brain and those repetitions become nearly as real as the original.

These drills should be designed not to scare but to train in a warm and welcoming environment. You don't need searing heat, smoke and pumper trucks to create an effective fire drill.

mac

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have already been through 3 lock downs at the elementary school I volunteer at. The first one was real--armed thugs had robbed a bank and crashed their car three blocks away. Irony rewards us; the perp was found hiding in a dumpster.

The paranoid nutters who still believe that Obama was born in Africa will blame it on liberals coming for their guns, rather than children raised by wolves, and the ready availability of firearms. Sheep indeed.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank god were are seeing agreement on this issue fom people on both sides of the isle, Thank you all for your rational and compassionate remarks. This is encouraging.
windoggi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pueno wrote:

A sheep in wolf's clothing.

Decorative masculinity

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 329, 330, 331  Next
Page 53 of 331

Jump to: