myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gun Nuts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 329, 330, 331  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actions speak far louder than words.

The admission, 'I'm glad I didn't shoot him. Robber or not, that is a heavy burdon', displays that persons real character.

To me, that counts a great deal!
feuser

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
feuser said:
Quote:
Gun registration just does not equal disarming, but hey - they don't teach reasoning in the Marines.

While I am not overly concerned about our guns being taken away, the first step would be required registration for all. The government will want to know where all the guns are, BEFORE any word of confiscation would be uttered.

Those with blind trust, go for it. Some of us will just be a little more cautious.

Like requiring a driver's license or registering your vehicle is the first step in taking cars away from you?

Sure.

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
keycocker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making you get a dog registration is because "they" plan to take your dog away.
The ban on assault weapons was widely presented to NRA types as a sure prelude to them taking everyone's hunting rifle. There was no doubt whatever.
So were the new laws in some states that required an ID to buy guns.
There was no doubt whatsoever that we would be disarmed completely in one year.
No doubt at all.
The gun lobby has spent so much money brainwashing gun owners that there is no doubt at all about these things. Even guys whose views I admire like Techno.....
mac

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Walmart is the largest seller of guns in the country. Union busting and death, and contributions to ALEC. Death and corruption the Tea Party way.
windoggi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm giving up my guns when NRA members, gun fetishists and cat shooters like Iso give up theirs. I'm not taking any chances.
rigitrite

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that perhaps something reasonable could be accomplished in the wake of the massacre of 20 small children with a military weapon in their school, but the level of crazy from gun owners has convinced me that reasonable is not in their vocabulary: the 2nd amendment needs to go.

I will say that the level of thought on this forum from even the worst gun rights advocate is light years beyond some of the truly horrifying logic being posted elsewhere on the internet.

pueno

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rigitrite wrote:
...the 2nd amendment needs to go.

The second amendment should remain in place for the type of arms technology in place when the Bill of Rights written: flintlocks, muzzle-loaders, blunderbusses, pepper-boxes, and so on.
rigitrite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pueno wrote:
rigitrite wrote:
...the 2nd amendment needs to go.

The second amendment should remain in place for the type of arms technology in place when the Bill of Rights written: flintlocks, muzzle-loaders, blunderbusses, pepper-boxes, and so on.

HA! and here I was thinking I was the only person who used to say that. Smile

Can you imagine a street gang shoot-out with muzzle-loaders? That's comedy right there....I don't care who ya are.

mac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a more serious note, the idle paranoia here--and throughout the fact free internet of the gun nuts--is just stupid. There are plenty of gun companies with lawyers who are willing to sue to overturn gun regulations, and a Supreme Court that has already extended gun ownership to individuals rather than to militias. So anyone serious about legislation is going to work on the areas where the Supreme Court has said there can be regulation. That means that guns can be registered, but not prohibited, unless the would be purchaser is a felon or demonstrably unstable mentally. That would have prevented the legal purchase of guns in the Virginia Tech killings, but not in the Connecticut killing of children.

I would think that it would be constitutional to ban assault weapons; the last ban was not successfully challenged. We need to learn from that law, and eliminate the broad loopholes that were negotiated. I think we need to eliminate the special rules for gun show sales, and for reselling weapons. I see nothing unconstitutional about requiring that guns be registered, that gun owners be registered, and that all sales go through some system that does background checks to prevent selling weapons to known felons. While that won't prevent the illegal sales of weapons to felons, it can be crafted in a way that prevents much of the traffic in weapon sales to drug gangs in Mexico. Further, tighter registration of guns and gun owners will reduce the sheer volume of guns floating around. We cannot dramatically decrease the number of gun deaths in this country--suicides and homicides--without changing the underlying violence in the culture. But a ten percent drop in illegal gun sales would leave more young people alive, and fewer parents grieving.

Anyone that thinks that the NRA is on the moral high road pimping for companies that want to make sure that gun sales continue to arm Mexican drug gangs and felons and madmen in our cities is a few bullets short of a full clip.
pueno

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rigitrite wrote:

Can you imagine a street gang shoot-out with muzzle-loaders? That's comedy right there....I don't care who ya are.

I can imagine Mikey with a muzzle-loader. That would be absurdly comical.

He'd probably shoot himself in the nu... foot and demand disability payments.

Oh, wait.......

To Mac's points...

Envision a world where guns are treated exactly as cars are treated -- registered, annually inspected, insured, and meeting suitable standards; and gun owners are treated just as drivers are treated -- trained, tested, medically-evaluated, licensed, controlled, held accountable.

Can I drive my 1952 car on today's roads? Yes, it's "grandfathered."

Can I drive my 2012 car on today's roads if it meets only the 1952 standards? No.

Can my 10-year-old kid drive my 2012 (or my 1952) car on today's roads? No, not licensed to drive. Why no license? Fails to meet a licensing requirement (too young).

Can my 45-year-old unlicensed friend drive on today's roads? No; not licensed to drive.

Can my other 45-year-old drunken, alcohol abusing idiot neighbor drive on today's roads? No; lost license for DWI.

And so on.....

Last edited by pueno on Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 329, 330, 331  Next
Page 20 of 331

Jump to: