myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gun Nuts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 89, 90, 91 ... 329, 330, 331  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
I'll try to answer this. Where I come from, we call all of the .22x cartridges as a "22 caliber". This includes the .22 long rifle, .22 short, .22mag (all rim fire), as well as, the .223 and the 22 hornet, which are center fire.

But, we also call magazines clips even if we know the difference. Wink

Okay where do you come from??? I've never heard the .223 and the .22 grouped in the same class (although the long, shot, etc, that is normal)..
coboardhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnl wrote:
coboardhead wrote:
I'll try to answer this. Where I come from, we call all of the .22x cartridges as a "22 caliber". This includes the .22 long rifle, .22 short, .22mag (all rim fire), as well as, the .223 and the 22 hornet, which are center fire.

Okay where do you come from??? I've never heard the .223 and the .22 grouped in the same class (although the long, shot, etc, that is normal)..

Colorado. I wondered if this was local jargon after your question. So, I checked Hornady's web page and they do list the .222, .223, .224 and .227 as "22 caliber".
techno900

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know for sure, but as I recall, all the hype and reporting for the last few years about assault or assault type weapons, normally don't include the caliber. I have generally assumed .223 center fire.

However, this story from numerous media sources specifically noted .22 styled assault weapon. I am pretty sure this was a rim fire .22 and not a .223 center fire.

A big difference in killing power, but both are deadly.

When it comes to jargon, when someone says that they have or shoot a 22, they never mean a .223 (in my experience).
coboardhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruger does build a semi auto "assualt sytle" auto loader in 22 LR the SR-22. It uses a rotary magazine. I believe 10 rounds. But, I have a rifle that uses the same rotary magazine and a banana clip (er magazine) can replace it. (30 shot). So, even a 22 rim fire can pump out rounds.

"Shootin 22's" usually refers to .22 rim fires. However, "22 caliber" refers to all of the .22x according to my Speer's reloading book. So this could go either way. It would really be nice if the news would just report the gun model.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many "assault style" .22lr rimfire weapons. There are even .177 style. Then there is the "old fashion" tube under the barrel .22lr. In both .177 and .22 there are Air Rifles with barrel velocities similar to the standard .22.

Interesting to note that the 2nd amendment killers think that one is more deadly than the other because of the way they look. There is no difference in firing speed, accuracy, or killing power between any .22 rimfire rifle, no matter how they look. One looks cool, the other doesn't
mrgybe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should just stop all this talk and take our government's advice........after all they know best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzEd6MNihlg
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are so many idiots and thieves in our government. In fact, can anyone on this forum name a government on this planet that doesn't have psychopaths, thieves, perverts, dictators, or mad men running it? I'd say Israel, if I didn't know how much corruption there was in that kineset.
johnl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
johnl wrote:
coboardhead wrote:

Colorado. I wondered if this was local jargon after your question. So, I checked Hornady's web page and they do list the .222, .223, .224 and .227 as "22 caliber".

Do they then call the .22 short/long/etc 22 Rimfire? I'm dying of curiosity Smile

I do know when I reloaded, the .223 reloads WERE in the 22 Caliber section of the book (I have an AWESOME 80 grain .223 reload that has the same ballistics of a 30 cal at 500 yards Smile ). Just like all the .30 reloads were in the 30 Caliber section.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnl wrote:
coboardhead wrote:
johnl wrote:
coboardhead wrote:

Do they then call the .22 short/long/etc 22 Rimfire? I'm dying of curiosity Smile

I do know when I reloaded, the .223 reloads WERE in the 22 Caliber section of the book (I have an AWESOME 80 grain .223 reload that has the same ballistics of a 30 cal at 500 yards Smile ). Just like all the .30 reloads were in the 30 Caliber section.

Not in the book, so I never tried reloading .22 rimfire Laughing Laughing

The only reloading I ever did was .41 magnum for a single action Ruger. Great for exploding water filled plastic pop bottles.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Great for exploding water filled plastic pop bottles.' (Quote.)

.....then exploding peoples heads, when those who are socially inadequate, or out to improve their standing, tire of such games, and step it up to the next thrill level!

Wouldn't it be to the point to figure a way of stopping the excess murders, than arguing over what classification guns and their parts should fall under?

Title of the thread is 'Gun Nuts.' Not sure now whether that implies crazy people, or just those who worship guns! (Not trying to give offence, just seeing things from a different perspective.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 89, 90, 91 ... 329, 330, 331  Next
Page 90 of 331

Jump to: