myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gun Nuts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 83, 84, 85 ... 329, 330, 331  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

Beaglebuddy, I agree with you. I am also concerned about the crony capitalism and emerging oligarchy. I just don't want to see gang bangers with weapons. This should be easy to do, but they make it sound impractical.
keycocker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Those words out of their mouth" are faked up stuff designed to fool you BB.
You know this in the back of your mind which is why you don't give us references, but it doesn't matter. Your mind was made up long ago and checking the facts just confuses you briefly then back to finding facts, fake or not, that support your conspiracy.
Any chance you know of a country that has been grabbing guns?
keycocker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Those words out of their mouth" are faked up stuff designed to fool you BB.
You know this in the back of your mind which is why you don't give us references, but it doesn't matter. Your mind was made up long ago and checking the facts just confuses you briefly then back to finding facts, fake or not, that support your conspiracy.
Any chance you know of a country that has been grabbing guns?
keycocker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just discussing the slippery slope theory with another gun owner buddy I shot with in Highschool circa 1965.
We remember the conspiracy guys telling us about that slope. Hundreds of gun laws both local and national have been written since then with the same chorus in the background.
History showed these well intended warnings were just smoke, but as you know those who fail to pay attention to history are doomed to repeat it.
You would be the third generation of folks who buy that disproven theory.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
Yes, Iso, I've always felt a revolver is a better self defense weapon than a semi auto, because they don't jam. Cops don't use revolvers because if a criminal grabs it, it won't fire after the 1st shot. They are seemingly easier to reload than a revolver.

Revolvers are simpler. Most are now double-action; you pull the trigger, it goes boom. If a round misfires, you pull the trigger again and it should go boom. There's no safety switch to remember to disengage, no slide to confuse someone who hasn't fired his weapon in years, no jamming, etc. At that time, the experts told us novices to buy revolvers if we didn't plan to take up shooting as hobby, that fresh familiarity, simplicity, and reliable firing was the deal-breaker for the buyers who might not fire their weapons for many years.

No mas. Today's pistols (by definition, semiautomatic handguns) go boom many thousands of times in a row, (most) have no separate Safety (they will fire ONLY if you're gripping the gun normally AND pulling the trigger, and I was amazed how small and light they are. The last pistol I had fired was my Dad's WWII .45 when I was probably 80 pounds lighter. Except for maximum concealability (more or less a hammerless .38 special), semiautomatics are almost a no-brainer these days ... not even counting several other advantages for both cops and housewives.
johnl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
Yes, Iso, I've always felt a revolver is a better self defense weapon than a semi auto, because they don't jam. Cops don't use revolvers because if a criminal grabs it, it won't fire after the 1st shot. They are seemingly easier to reload than a revolver.

Oh PLEASE who told you that??? Cause he is a moron. Police departments changed from revolvers to semi-autos for one reason. 6 rounds vs 8,10,12, 18 rounds that a semi auto has. I know this for a fact cause my last department was a revolver based department and converted to semi-autos after a lot of research. 6 rounds in a gun fight isn't enough...
johnl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
beaglebuddy wrote:
stevenbard wrote:
Cops don't use revolvers because if a criminal grabs it, it won't fire after the 1st shot.

Please explain.

In order to fire a revolver, it must revolve. If the cop pull the gun and the criminal grabs the "revolver" and the hammer, it won't fire at all. Also can be used in self defense. However, I do believe the S&W M&P will fire if the purp grabs it.

And if you grab the slide on a semi-auto and push back slightly is causes a built in safety to engage. And the gun won't fire. The defense is not to let the purp grab your gun whatever you use...
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnl wrote:
6 rounds in a gun fight isn't enough...

Every LEO in the nation should be burying NY Governor Cuomo, his AG, and his state congress with that statement. He's going to lose some cops and victims because of his 7-round limit.

Most politicians don't know squat about bills and issues when they vote on them, whether it's Obamacare or knee-jerk, feel-good, useless, redundant gun laws.

We've seen many reports and discussions now on Micheal Moore's threat to release the grizzly police photos of the Newtown victims to force vomiting, bawling, furious people to demand harsh gun controls. The entire objection so far has been based on the parents ' right to privacy. That's valid, but what about the bigger issue? Laws should be founded on facts, not emotions. Do severe gun control laws save innocent lives in societies where the insane and criminal elements already have full access to them? Even if they do, there's that nagging constraint on just what laws can be passed: the Constitution. Obama WILL continue to blow it off in his stated and frightening goal of transforming America -- wildly after 2014 -- if not prevented by the GOP.
techno900

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering about some "what ifs".

Let's say I have some firearms that were purchased 30-40 years ago (various sources) and I now want to sell one. If there is a required background check law passed on all firearm sales, including private sales, what are the chances that I would go to the neighborhood "background check" office with my neighbor to go through the background check? What if he has a history of serious depression that I don't know about. What are the chances that the HIPAA records will be available in a national data base?

What if all this actually becomes law, now the government is well on its way to a national data base of gun owners (all the honest ones), collected under the pretense that we don't want guns in the hands of crazies and criminals.

Personally, I don't think the government should know who has all the guns. Reality is that they would never have a very complete data base regardless of the laws passed. It's all "feel good" politics to console the masses.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
I just don't want to see gang bangers with weapons. This should be easy to do, but they make it sound impractical.

Political correctness apparently prevents it to a large extent. IMO, gang behavior such as swaggering, tattoos, sneering, glaring, in-yer-face attitudes, gang clothing, fighting, gang signing, tagging, hanging out with known bangers -- whatever chosen behaviors rigorous analysis proves accurate -- should be used to profile people for identification and frisking. On what dictatorship is it OK to register and track legal weapons and weapon owners but not build a registry of human animals who often kill for sport or because someone "dissed" them? The pigs who choose to affiliate with a "gang", however that gets defined, should be harassed into submission by an army of cops 24/7.

I know life-long, once-proud citizens of Portland, OR, including combat veterans and their world-traveled families, who left the city when they felt very overtly threatened by gang bangers hanging out everywhere they went. I don't know how my city's gang presence compares to the norm, but every month or we hear of another mass gang sweep with dozens of arrests. But considering that car theft is all but ignored in WA, I doubt their arrests achieve much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 83, 84, 85 ... 329, 330, 331  Next
Page 84 of 331

Jump to: