myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gun Nuts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 80, 81, 82 ... 329, 330, 331  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coboardhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac...

I checked my homeowner's policy back when I used to target shoot often. I was covered for damages for accidents with a firearm. I know policies vary by state, but, it is likely most homeowners are covered for all sorts of liability, including accidents involving guns. Of course, I was not insured if I was using the gun illegally. Your proposal for insurance on firearms would be directed, primarily, at the poor. This would, possibly, convince many of those folks to skip registration altogether and hide their weapons.

You mentioned that Calif. was cracking down on folks who shouldn't have guns. We have all agreed that those that are "mentally ill" should not be able to own firearms. In CO, and many other states, medical records are private. There is no reporting of the "mentally ill" to a state agency, much less, a data bank. So, unless one has been legally detained or incarcerated due to mental illness, there is no way to track this. Should any person who has been depressed or anxious (both medical conditions) be forbidden from owning a gun? I know around here hunting is such a large part of some guys lives they would not seek treatment for minor mental health issues, if that could be taken away.

Keep in mind that even the most highly trained in the mental health care industry, Psychiatrists, are not able to accurately predict future violent behavior.

SW...You asked why someone would want a clip that held 20 or 30 rounds. I have a .22 semi auto rifle with a banana clip (50 shots). On a cold day, I could load several of these magazines before heading out. Saved my fingers from freezing. Plus...it is a lot of fun to rapidly shoot at a moving object. I used to toss out a used pop can and see how far across my property I could send it without it stopping. Sounds silly...but it is fun! Of course, I recycled the can!

Beaglebuddy...You also mentioned that the mentally ill should not own firearms. Later you complained of "socialized medicine". The ONLY medical care available for those that are severely mentally is through state supported mental health clinics, which IS socialized medicine (when you can convince the Repubs to fund it).
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bushmaster AR-15's are now priced at between $1400 and $2000. This keeps the poor away from them. However if you're a crack dealer, pimp, hip hop artist, rock star, or burglar, they are easy to afford.

I've always said welfare recipients should be drug tested annually. I also feel that those under 30 should be drug tested, background checked, and hunter safety checked for semi auto weapons. This is simple stuff. Is there anyone here that couldn't pass all the above in one day?

BTW, the manufacturers are working 24/7.....Can't keep up with demand.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
Bushmaster AR-15's are now priced at between $1400 and $2000. This keeps the poor away from them. However if you're a crack dealer, pimp, hip hop artist, rock star, or burglar, they are easy to afford.

I've always said welfare recipients should be drug tested annually. I also feel that those under 30 should be drug tested, background checked, and hunter safety checked for semi auto weapons. This is simple stuff. Is there anyone here that couldn't pass all the above in one day?

BTW, the manufacturers are working 24/7.....Can't keep up with demand.

So, if I understand this...Are you suggesting that, at least, semi-auto guns should be registered?

I agree on welfare recipients. But, I also believe we need to fund drug rehab better than we do.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a good question CB. I do not. However some minimum litmus test that would be like a hunter safety certificate should be simple enough. I got one in 2 days, with little studying. A drug test, background check, and hunter safety course could all be done in 1 day. The hunter safety course I took cost $20 plus the 4 hour follow up course which was $10. Drug test is another $20 or so.

I want every sane individual to have the right to own a semi auto weapon. If you are too lazy to take a one day course, buy a revolver for home protection. Let's remember I'm talking about everyone under 30 years of age. This difficulty in obtaining a semiauto would cover over 90% of mass shootings which are perpetrated by those under 30.
keycocker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bard making sense these days.
You can support gun ownership even if you aren't brainwashed by the NRA into believing all forms of gun control equal takin ma riful away.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
That is a good question CB. I do not. However some minimum litmus test that would be like a hunter safety certificate should be simple enough. I got one in 2 days, with little studying. A drug test, background check, and hunter safety course could all be done in 1 day. The hunter safety course I took cost $20 plus the 4 hour follow up course which was $10. Drug test is another $20 or so.

I want every sane individual to have the right to own a semi auto weapon. If you are too lazy to take a one day course, buy a revolver for home protection. Let's remember I'm talking about everyone under 30 years of age. This difficulty in obtaining a semiauto would cover over 90% of mass shootings which are perpetrated by those under 30.

Nancy Lanza is sane, and over 30, and she owned a semi automatic weapon.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stories vary and truth is illusive. Some say that Nancy Lanza was afraid of her ex-husband and bought guns for self-protection. Others say that she liked to shoot and introduced her son to the "sport." But did she know that guns are more likely to kill their owners (I've read figures as high as 40 times more likely) than protect them? Not if the NRA can help it.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
I've always said welfare recipients should be drug tested annually.

So have I ... until extensive drug testing of welfare recipients in FL and one other state (AZ?) recently revealed an extremely tiny rate nowhere NEAR cost-effectiveness. Now I'd want to see more research before calling for it.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Waiting periods are only a step. Registration is only a step. The prohibition of private firearms is the goal."
-Janet Reno
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
stevenbard wrote:
I've always said welfare recipients should be drug tested annually.

So have I ... until extensive drug testing of welfare recipients in FL and one other state (AZ?) recently revealed an extremely tiny rate nowhere NEAR cost-effectiveness. Now I'd want to see more research before calling for it.

I read the story and I came up with a different conclusion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 80, 81, 82 ... 329, 330, 331  Next
Page 81 of 331

Jump to: