myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gun Nuts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 329, 330, 331  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

1. And me, at present, several seconds if it were at hand. But Google up the video of Jerry Miculek firing 6 shots, reloading, and firing six more shots into targets ... all in 2.99 seconds ... with a revolver. And while you're there, check out Bob Munden, who draws, shoots bullseyes, and reholsters so fast the naked eye can't see it; you hear only one shot even when he hits two targets 6 feet apart. Can a insane mass shooter do this? No, but he CAN learn to outgun Mom or a school teacher ... hell, most cops ... if he puts his warped mind and a simple handgun to it. Didja know that NYPD cops who shoot >90% on tactical ranges hit human targets with only 5-50% of their shots in the real world?SNIP.

Exactly. And this is why semi-auto assault-style weapons are often the primary weapon in mass shootings. The ability to spray bullets increases the chances of hitting a target at close or medium range. These weapons ought to be highly restricted and controlled. As I've discussed in another forum, recreational and sport shooters should be able to access and use these weapons in a very controlled way, and I believe the best way to do this is not to focus entirely on the guns themselves but the ammunition.

Controlling the production and use of ammunition paired with registration and other restrictions pertaining to semi-autos is the best way to allow most people to use their guns but will put the burn many criminals who have little means to manufacture ammo for these semi-auto weapons.

MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

capetonian wrote:
stevenbard wrote:
I said mental fitness test. Meaning, no spousal abuse, no violent arrests, no time on anti psychotic drugs over the last 5 years. Maybe even a longer waiting period if one of your parents declare you to be a possible threat.

You cannot have a guy on anti psychotic drugs using any weapon. You cannot have a guy with any drug arrests using weapons without proving he's been sober for 5 years. You cannot have an alchoholic using guns unless he's proved he's been sober for 5 years. Maybe even a higher age for semi auto hand guns and assault type rifles.

Steve, I think your heart is in the right place and your arguments make sense, but this just feels like too many regulations from my ideological perspective. (However if they become the law of the land I will still qualify to buy a gun because I am over 30 and have no drug/alcohol/abuse issues ). Laughing

Ha! I was wondering if you were packing Laughing, where we sail, it might fit in however, 30 is usually the age at which young men have either gotten into trouble, or exhibited psychotic behavior.

Boggs, are you having a bad day???? Impossible, the market has been booming.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
Boggs, are you having a bad day???? Impossible, the market has been booming.

Better get it while we can. The CEO and Chief Investment Officer of Charles Schwab said in a round table of his peers "the economy is in deep doo doo". Some of those peers concurred and elaborated.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem with using speedloaders on revolvers come when you start to use the bullets you actually need in the real world.
They don't feed flatpoints or hollowpoints so well, getting hung up on the sides of the cylinder holes. Only RNJ seems to always feed in one shot, and you'd never use that for real.
The speedloaders don't hold the cartridges real solid, and they wiggle in all 6 directions just as you need to slam them home.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zirtaeb wrote

Quote:
Problem with using speedloaders on revolvers come when you start to use the bullets you actually need in the real world.
They don't feed flatpoints or hollowpoints so well, getting hung up on the sides of the cylinder holes. Only RNJ seems to always feed in one shot, and you'd never use that for real.
The speedloaders don't hold the cartridges real solid, and they wiggle in all 6 directions just as you need to slam them home.

I do not see this as a "problem". There are very limited circumstances that one one need to reload a revolver in self-defense as you probably are aware. As you may recall from your firearms training, most self-defensive combat occurs at very close range.

BTW, I use speed loaders for my revolver exclusively. It means I don't EVER have a loaded weapon sitting around.
keycocker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunate for mass murderers to live in America.
They don't seem to use pistols when the allure of miltary weapons is everywhere. Just grab one out of your Moms closet like Newtown and the most recent slaughter.
Not one law is proposed to take guns away from people.
Every few posts here someone repeats that BS.
nw30

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keycocker wrote:
Fortunate for mass murderers to live in America.
They don't seem to use pistols when the allure of miltary weapons is everywhere. Just grab one out of your Moms closet like Newtown and the most recent slaughter.
Not one law is proposed to take guns away from people.
Every few posts here someone repeats that BS.

Yep, I agree with you 100%.
And every new gun law (proposed), as well as the exisisting ones, wouldn't have prevented it.
Our tax dollars at work, DiFi, you're awesome, you still have your concealed weapon permit don't you?
She's armed.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
There are very limited circumstances that one one need to reload a revolver in self-defense as you probably are aware. As you may recall from your firearms training, most self-defensive combat occurs at very close range.

Just last week that lady emptied her .38 into an attacker at arm's length. He walked away, got into his car, and drove away. She and her kids were fortunate he backed off.

Just yesterday a man in Boardman, OR faced four armed attackers in his own home. He was unarmed, they were strangling him. Only the arrival of the cops made them leave. Only one was captured; will their next victim be that fortunate, or will he need a large pistol with a large magazine to survive?
mrgybe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
Lets face it, everybody is just one bad day away from turning into Michael Douglas from the movie Falling Down.

We've alerted security that today could be your day.

Has Apple Lost Its Cool to Samsung?
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323854904578264090074879024.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_LEFTTopStories

One Year Later, Exxon Bests Apple as World's Biggest Company
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323539804578264024260588396.html?mod=WSJ_hp_LEFTWhatsNewsCollection

A mere four months ago, a poster here warned that Apple stock should be treated with great caution and that Asian companies would muscle in on their action. That was 37% ago. Hope you listened despite your scorn at the time. I think I'll have a Dos Equis.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I know why he may go postal on us!

I just finished a hunter safety course tonight. (passed) Even a deputy sheriff failed the course. Embarassed After taking the course, I'm more convinced than ever that it should be mandatory for semi auto weapons for people under 30. I don't know if I'll hunt or not yet, but I wanted the option.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 329, 330, 331  Next
Page 48 of 331

Jump to: