myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gun Nuts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 329, 330, 331  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG, Biden went on Google today and explained that people don't need assault weapons because it's easier and more effective to use a shotgun. It takes 10 minutes to saw off a shotgun. I've always said that a tactical shotgun would be my weapon of choice in moderately close quarters. And a handgun inside a tight space.

I am firm on the fact that we need age and mental fitness requirements along with background checks for every sale. Nobody under 30 should own an assault weapon unless a safety course and mental health check is done. Virtually all the killing is done by those under 30. (except the govt of course... Surprised )
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An "assault weapon" is a rifle with a handle or two. What difference does that make?
Banning them last time had zero impact on crime.
Boxer also states that she wants to ban virtually all pistols (i.e., any with clips larger than 7 rounds, which is virtually all of them).
Simple statistics: Gun buy-back programs would have to get 65,000 guns off the streets to save one life.
A sawed-off shotgun is as illegal as a fully automatic honest-to-God MILITARY assault gun. Get caught using, may even just possessing one of those and you may not see any more windsurfing.
A legal home defense shotgun is not sawed off; it merely comes with an 18" barrel, and it must still be aimed, not just fired in the general direction of an assailant. Each of its 8 or so projectiles packs the punch of a .38 Special bullet, and will blast right though a few walls. Do you know who's behind those walls? So ya use birdshot, which pisses off a drugged-up perp wearing a coat unless you aim WELL and hit him fully in the eyes or neck.
And if you fire one more round after the perp stops credibly threatening your life, you go to prison for at least manslaughter. The problem? Even veteran cops get so hyped on fear-induced adrenaline they may empty their guns without even HEARING the shots, let alone knowing they fired more than once.

There's a lot more to this than firing away.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mental health evaluation makes sense on paper. But, due to the complexities of mental health disease, you will not find many professionals who will "sign off" on such an evaluation. Evaluating illness is much more accurate than evaluating health.

From NPR:

Quote:
And even highly trained professionals with lots of information often get it wrong, research shows.

A study of experienced psychiatrists at a major urban psychiatric facility found that they were wrong about which patients would become violent about 30 percent of the time.

That's a much higher error rate than with most medical tests, says Alan Teo, a psychiatrist at the University of Michigan and an author of the study.

One reason even experienced psychiatrists are often wrong is that there are only a few clear signs that a person with a mental illness is likely to act violently, says Steven Hoge, a professor of psychiatry at Columbia University. These include a history of violence and a current threat to commit violence.

Without either of these, Hoge says, "an accurate assessment of the likelihood of future violence is virtually impossible."
pueno

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
A mental health evaluation makes sense on paper. But, due to the complexities of mental health disease, you will not find many professionals who will "sign off" on such an evaluation.

Any such professional would be nuts to do so -- and by doing so, demonstrate the incompetence that would disqualify the evaluation.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said mental fitness test. Meaning, no spousal abuse, no violent arrests, no time on anti psychotic drugs over the last 5 years. Maybe even a longer waiting period if one of your parents declare you to be a possible threat.

You cannot have a guy on anti psychotic drugs using any weapon. You cannot have a guy with any drug arrests using weapons without proving he's been sober for 5 years. You cannot have an alchoholic using guns unless he's proved he's been sober for 5 years. Maybe even a higher age for semi auto hand guns and assault type rifles.
capetonian

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
I said mental fitness test. Meaning, no spousal abuse, no violent arrests, no time on anti psychotic drugs over the last 5 years. Maybe even a longer waiting period if one of your parents declare you to be a possible threat.

You cannot have a guy on anti psychotic drugs using any weapon. You cannot have a guy with any drug arrests using weapons without proving he's been sober for 5 years. You cannot have an alchoholic using guns unless he's proved he's been sober for 5 years. Maybe even a higher age for semi auto hand guns and assault type rifles.

Steve, I think your heart is in the right place and your arguments make sense, but this just feels like too many regulations from my ideological perspective. (However if they become the law of the land I will still qualify to buy a gun because I am over 30 and have no drug/alcohol/abuse issues ). Laughing
boggsman1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets face it, everybody is just one bad day away from turning into Michael Douglas from the movie Falling Down.
nw30

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:

I'll do you one better~
I Propose an amendment to the Constitution:
"All elected government officials, must pass a stringent background and periodic mental health Checks before making any Laws or Decisions that will affect American lives, let alone own a gun!"
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
It would take me 2 to 3 seconds to change a handgun clip.

2. locking guns in a family setting will save lives.

3. Background checks will.

4. One time Mental health evaluation below age 30 will.

5. It has been proven over and over in states with easier concealed carry laws, there is less gun violence.

1. And me, at present, several seconds if it were at hand. But Google up the video of Jerry Miculek firing 6 shots, reloading, and firing six more shots into targets ... all in 2.99 seconds ... with a revolver. And while you're there, check out Bob Munden, who draws, shoots bullseyes, and reholsters so fast the naked eye can't see it; you hear only one shot even when he hits two targets 6 feet apart. Can a insane mass shooter do this? No, but he CAN learn to outgun Mom or a school teacher ... hell, most cops ... if he puts his warped mind and a simple handgun to it. Didja know that NYPD cops who shoot >90% on tactical ranges hit human targets with only 5-50% of their shots in the real world? Fear and adrenaline tie even very experienced sane people into fumbling spazzes; their vision, hearing, dexterity, thinking, and memory go straight, thoroughly, and clearly measurably to hell when their target is an armed human being.

I wonder if psychopaths or sociopaths experience the same very dramatic handicaps.

2. Will it? Can we prove that? It may prevent some accidental shootings, but it will also give home intruders many seconds more to act. The handicapped WW II vet who got to his pistol just in time yesterday may be dead now if his gun had been in a vault, and kids die at HUGELY larger rates from many other avoidable causes than by shooting accidents. (PAX's estimate of kids killed by accidental shootings is pure BS; don't believe it.)

3. A. Who sez?
B. Does that outlaw private gun sales? In AMERICA?

4. Sez who?

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I do suspect these claims and so many others are just knee-jerking rhetoric, not established fact.

5. EXACTLY! So why outlaw most guns, as Feinstein's latest proposal effectively does? "One military characteristic" could very easily be interpreted to include anything that fires a bullet, and certainly a semi-automatic pistol has a military heritage.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:

Have you applied to buy a gun or get a concealed carry permit lately? All that and much more is covered already.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 329, 330, 331  Next
Page 47 of 331

Jump to: