myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gun Nuts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 329, 330, 331  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pueno

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikey wrote:

And no mention of the $52,000 each man, woman, and child owes, 35% of which is specifically due to Obama's spending spree ... an issue polls show is almost 10-fold more important to Americans than gun control.

Mikey, it's due to those damned entitlements, those cash giveaways, those freebees for the slackers among us who don't want to work.

(Gee, who do we know who receives a free government cash handout?)

Can you see where I'm going with this?
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars sounds like he's a person that worships gun culture and guns. He's not one that is into the sport of hunting, but instead he's totally enthralled with the idea the guns can kill people. While he talks about using them against criminals and their like, one wonders about the fantasies that rattle around in his head. Based on what he says and does here, I couldn't trust him with a gun. I hope gun control passes, and that questionable folks like him are more readily screened and ultimately denied the right to own weapons. I sense that he's a loose cannon that is much too close to going off.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
So...let me get this straight....the great Oracle of the Tri-Cities ...the one who said he never met someone making more than 180 grand/yr, is now saying to dump Gold? duly noted

Yes, but the value of a good weapon is worth more than all the gold in the world when the men in black are pounding on your door.. Laughing

If the world collapses like Iso believes, he'll have to hammer those weapons into plow shears as I've said in the past. You can't eat gold, and you'll never know when the dollar will finally give way. It could be 5 or more years Iso. But you should have your aluminum-foil hat on just in case of fallout.
windoggi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
But you should have your aluminum-foil hat on just in case of fallout.
You can also use it to cook your fresh killed tomcat in a pinch.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
1. If the world collapses like Iso believes ...
2. you'll never know when the dollar will finally give way. It could be 5 or more years Iso.

I've never even said anyone ELSE (with any credibility), let alone I, believe that. Again ... you have to read what *I* type, not what the 10-yos CLAIM I typed, to have any idea what I've said.

2. I've not seen even any pundits, let alone professional economic forecasters with sterling track records (nor Bernanke or Krugman), say the real inflation (i.e., significantly greater than the present 9.5%) will hold off that long.

Pardon me if I've misjudged you, Steve, as one of the rational, honest, literate, adults here. Your recent posts say otherwise.
johnl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
Johnl...It sounds like you ARE suggesting another law...that would require gun registration for all. Something, to which, I agree.
New York has just passed stiff gun control measures. Can gun control not be a state's issue? Why should Utah need to meet New York's or California's gun laws?

I have no problems with checking people out BEFORE they buy a gun. ANY gun. After all you have to start somewhere. But to try to legislate WHAT kind of gun they buy (other than a tank) I think is pushing freedom a bit. After all, what happens if the law starts telling you what kind of car you can own in the US? It's a personal choice, just like a gun purchase is.

But what people really, really don't get is more laws will not solve anything. How many crimes are caused by citizens who obey the law and own legal guns? Hmm, very, very few. Now many crimes are caused by people who don't obey laws and have legal guns? Very few. How many crimes are caused by people who don't obey laws and have illegal guns? Lots. So what will a few more laws against guns solve? Nothing but make law makers feel like they accomplished something....
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting fact that both Israel and Switzerland both hand out gun permits like bubble gum, however have significantly lower murder rates than we do.

This is a cultural problem that has been conflated with a gun problem. We've allowed our culture to devolve. We then think that taking assault rifles (2.5% of deaths) is better than taking hand guns (40% of all deaths) Clubs and hammers kill twice as many as rifles do.

This is just a dog and pony show in Washington, and Obama uses the little children as props.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnl...I guess I misunderstood your earlier post where you were suggesting a gun was registered to one owner.

I agree that folks should be able to own a semi-auto rifle, pistol etc. However, I would take your auto analogy a bit further. When you buy, and register, an auto it must meet some safety requirements or it cannot be used on public roadways. Why not the same with guns?

I am not sure where the line should be drawn. But, as a former cop, do you think it is appropriate for someone, with no training or experience with firearms, to walk into Walmart and purchase an AR-15, go on-line and order a 50 cartridge mag. and keep it in the house or car for "protection"? This is perfectly legal in many places. We have folks purchasing different cartridges for these weapons that have no clue about the ballistics. This seems like an abuse of a right to me.

As a gun owner (and, formerly, an avid shooter), I am still trying to imagine a self-defense situation I could possibly be in that would require me to empty a magazine with 50 .223 cal. rounds. I, simply, could not put so many of my neighbors in danger to protect my ass!

I get that it is a blast to pre-load the clips, head to the range and shoot without needing to reload. But, I would give that up if it could prevent another mass killing.

Stevenbard...I agree that a ban on assault rifles would do little to change the overall gun homicide rate. However, the potential for an inexperienced shooter to be able to kill a large number of people exists with these weapons.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnl wrote:
coboardhead wrote:
Johnl...It sounds like you ARE suggesting another law...that would require gun registration for all. Something, to which, I agree.
New York has just passed stiff gun control measures. Can gun control not be a state's issue? Why should Utah need to meet New York's or California's gun laws?

I have no problems with checking people out BEFORE they buy a gun. ANY gun. After all you have to start somewhere. But to try to legislate WHAT kind of gun they buy (other than a tank) I think is pushing freedom a bit. After all, what happens if the law starts telling you what kind of car you can own in the US? It's a personal choice, just like a gun purchase is.

But what people really, really don't get is more laws will not solve anything. How many crimes are caused by citizens who obey the law and own legal guns? Hmm, very, very few. Now many crimes are caused by people who don't obey laws and have legal guns? Very few. How many crimes are caused by people who don't obey laws and have illegal guns? Lots. So what will a few more laws against guns solve? Nothing but make law makers feel like they accomplished something....

I think you mistyped, John. "How many crimes are caused by citizens who own guns and obey the law?" None, axiomatically. Anyone who obeys the law logically cannot be one who breaks the law.

Crimes are also only committed by people who don't obey laws. I think we all know that more crimes are committed by people who don't own any gun, legal or otherwise, than by those in possession of a gun.

With all due respect, your post is a bit confused and I humbly suggest you are not the only one making this comparison to suggest that most gun crimes (not including wrongful possession) are caused by people holding unlicensed or illegal guns. The statistics simply don't bear this out. In fact, the latest survey of inmates in prisons on this subject demonstrate the stark opposite to be true. Only 15% of state inmates carried or used a gun in commission of their crimes for which they serve a sentence, and only 13% in federal prison did so.

Why is it that so many claim that the USA is overflowing with bad guys with illegal guns? If it's true, then serious gun control should never be perceived as the enemy. If it's not true, many people say it is so in order to support a false argument that personal defense requires gun ownership.

MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a reasonable precaution, and minimal precaution would be to require anyone with a semi auto weapon to keep it locked up if there is anyone below the age of 21 in the home. Or...if there is anyone with a history of mental illness, criminal history, or spousal abuse in the home.

In other words, if you just called the police on your son, you better lock up the weapons.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 329, 330, 331  Next
Page 36 of 331

Jump to: