myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gun Nuts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 291, 292, 293 ... 329, 330, 331  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

morewind, aka vientomas (get it? Spanish for More wind) wrote:

#1: This was a state wide initiative in Washington, not a law proposed by one city.

#2: The law is not as you describe:

"These crimes would apply to a person who stores or leaves a firearm in a place where the person knows, or reasonably should know, that a prohibited person may gain access to the firearm.
Yada yada yada and yada

I was referring to one of many variations of that initiative being proposed in many WA towns, such as Edmonds. I first heard about their initiative from a televised interview with its Chief of Police, who said he would not enforce the initiative if it became law because it exposes theft victims to prosecution as felons. Further study verified his interpretation and my resulting post. The state law you posted further supports my post if a jury or judge accepts the prima facie clauses I mentioned ... EASY to picture in the warped minds of the gun-hating judges, juries, and governor of this state, in which the insane King County pretty much overrules the rest of the state.

I'll spare you the time it would take to discuss the endless flaws in logic and "facts" the gun-haters use as excuses to strip you and me of the rights and ability to protect our selves and our families.
vientomas

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
morewind, aka vientomas (get it? Spanish for More wind) wrote:

#1: This was a state wide initiative in Washington, not a law proposed by one city.

#2: The law is not as you describe:

"These crimes would apply to a person who stores or leaves a firearm in a place where the person knows, or reasonably should know, that a prohibited person may gain access to the firearm.
Yada yada yada and yada

I was referring to one of many variations of that initiative being proposed in many WA towns, such as Edmonds. I first heard about their initiative from a televised interview with its Chief of Police, who said he would not enforce the initiative if it became law because it exposes theft victims to prosecution as felons. Further study verified his interpretation and my resulting post. The state law you posted further supports my post if a jury or judge accepts the prima facie clauses I mentioned ... EASY to picture in the warped minds of the gun-hating judges, juries, and governor of this state, in which the insane King County pretty much overrules the rest of the state.

I'll spare you the time it would take to discuss the endless flaws in logic and "facts" the gun-haters use as excuses to strip you and me of the rights and ability to protect our selves and our families.

It's state law now (as of 1/1/19) and preempts county or city ordinances. The details are in the "yada, yada, yada", which you apparently are not willing to read.

Can lead a horse to water...
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read 'em carefully, but they have little to do with my initial post.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you know that Isobars has never been wrong? In many thousands of posts?
real-human

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fading NRA Panics Over Exposed Ties To Russia | Rachel Maddow | MSNBC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_hIqV19KPU

real-human

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

where is the right-wing outrage about gun owners who kill. how is this not a national emergency... noted that this is common in Tucson.

https://tucson.com/news/local/slain-ua-phd-student-remembered-as-promising-scientist-loyal-friend/article_a05f6cb7-5ac5-5aea-bea7-1b62f80598fa.html
Slain UA doctoral student remembered as promising scientist, loyal friend

isobars

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AOC blames the NZ massacre on the NRA.

Oops:
The NRA does not exist in NZ.
NZ has FAR stricter gun laws than we do.
The shooter's manifesto shows him to be a lunatic.
real-human

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
AOC blames the NZ massacre on the NRA.

Oops:
The NRA does not exist in NZ.
NZ has FAR stricter gun laws than we do.
The shooter's manifesto shows him to be a lunatic.

probably your clone...

ya all wackos should own guns is the NRA mantra... anywhere in the world, remember them setting up in Russia... and taking money from russia to influence the election.

real-human

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://news.yahoo.com/help-offered-woman-jailed-turning-123210860.html

Florida woman charged after giving husband's guns to police

Quote:
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — A Florida woman's effort to protect herself from domestic violence has become a flashpoint in the debate over gun rights and victims' safety.

Courtney Irby gave her estranged husband's guns to police after he was charged with domestic violence-aggravated battery, only to find herself arrested for theft.

Now a Florida lawmaker and gun safety advocates are championing her cause, asking a state attorney on Monday drop the charges, while gun rights advocates want her prosecuted.

Courtney Irby spent six days in jail on charges of armed burglary and grand theft after she retrieved the assault rifle and handgun from her husband's apartment and gave them to the Lakeland Police. Joseph Irby was spending one day in jail at the time, accused of ramming into her car after a June 14 divorce hearing.

After her husband's arrest, Courtney Irby petitioned for a temporary injunction for protection, which was granted. Federal law prohibits people under a domestic violence restraining order from possessing guns, but it's up to local law enforcement to enforce it, according to the Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence.

Courtney Irby told police that she believed he wouldn't turn in his guns himself, so she took action. According to her arrest report, she said she entered her husband's apartment through a locked door without his permission and took the guns to a police station.

"So you're telling me you committed an armed burglary?" the officer asked her.

"Yes, I am but he wasn't going to turn them in so I am doing it," the officer said she responded.

Democratic State Rep. Anna Eskamani of Orlando tweeted that it's "ridiculous" to arrest a woman in this kind of situation. She sent a letter Monday to State Attorney Brian Haas asking that Irby not be prosecuted. She cited research showing the presence of a gun in a domestic violence situation makes it five times more likely a woman will be murdered.

"Ms. Irby was seeking help from the Lakeland Police Department and taking action to protect herself and her children," Eskamani wrote. "Prosecuting Ms. Irby sets a scary precedent that if someone seeks help to escape abuse, they will be punished for it."

While federal law prohibits people under domestic violence restraining orders and convicted of domestic violence from possessing guns, local law enforcement and prosecutors don't have the tools they need to enforce those restrictions, Eskamani said in her letter to the state attorney.

"These loopholes are major contributors to the deadly relationship between domestic violence and firearms," Eskamani said.

Joseph Irby's charges involve an altercation that began with a shouting match after the divorce hearing. According to his arrest report, they both got into their cars and then he used his vehicle to strike her back bumper several times, running her off the road.

Courtney Irby told a responding officer that "she feared for her life," his arrest report said.

As Joseph Irby was being placed into a patrol car, he called her "a man hater," the arrest report said.

In requesting that she be released on bond, Courtney Irby's attorney argued that she didn't commit theft since she didn't take the guns for her personal use and didn't benefit by taking them.

Spokesmen for the Lakeland Police Department and the State Attorney's Office didn't immediately return requests for comment on Monday.

Gun rights advocates have been tweeting in favor of prosecution and trolling Rep. Eskamani's Twitter account, while Courtney Irby's supporters launched a fundraising campaign for her legal fees. She's also getting support from Fred Guttenberg, whose daughter was killed in the Parkland, Florida school shooting.

Guttenberg tweeted that Irby was "an abused woman trying to protect herself from an abusive husband."

mac

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember when Trump made it easier for the mentally ill to buy guns—just because Obama had made it harder?

Yup, thoughts and prayers is just a way of saying “I’ve been bought by the NRA.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/02/28/trump-sign-bill-blocking-obama-gun-rule/98484106/?fbclid=IwAR3W-X_q7cO3ItzIsQ4GRyukzGLY-7Q8epSEA9YhDP75Sa7jmHp1EcCalys
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 291, 292, 293 ... 329, 330, 331  Next
Page 292 of 331

Jump to: