myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gun Nuts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 329, 330, 331  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over here on Maui, certainly don't need weapons. Just a 4.0!

However my television only gets the rifleman and other 60's shows. Did anyone ever watch that show? It was all about guns. Was very great moral message in every episode. How far our ideals have slumped since then. You guys should all watch an episode to see how far we've come.

40,000 people died from this same flu virus in 03.....If everyone was mandated to get a flu shot they'd save 24,000 men, women and children per year. (60% effective).

Last edited by MalibuGuru on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total
windoggi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
I wouldn't want to predict the results of this if it were to happen.
please do! This bonehead wants to know!
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS, God bless those children and families.. I seriously believe a maturity test for concealed carry. Such as anyone over 45 with unblemished criminal history and no history of mental illness. Gun safe is mandatory if there are minors in the house. Certainly should be the same basic laws in every state, so when you drive through Chicago, you are not a felon just for packing in your trunk.

It might be nice knowing that little old man was packing. Laughing
boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

windoggie wrote:
nw30 wrote:
I wouldn't want to predict the results of this if it were to happen.
please do! This bonehead wants to know!

Yes, as a bonehead, I too am curious. NW- please utilize the full extent of your broad intellect to enlighten those less fortunate, like myself.
dperzinski

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Rifleman Reply with quote

I grew up watching Rifleman, Maverick, Gunsmoke and other TV shows. What’s different about them and today’s movies/shows is that revenge was never part of the equation. Justice was the always the ultimate motivation, not revenge. I’m am surprised that revenge has taken such a high profile in today’s movies. I see revenge everywhere in today’s theater.

The old guys in times past would often defend the helpless and bring the world back to a pastoral, beautiful rural state, (often by shooting a gun out of the hand of a offending villian–wow, those guys were good shots!), but I don’t ever remember the revenge factor. In fact, there was an unwritten code at the times that revenge was taboo, and only engaged in by the meaner types of humans.

It wasn’t until Clint Eastwood, who in his later movies capitalized on revenge, that this form of entertainment really took off. Clint did some earlier stuff on Rawhide that was more of the justice- seeking hero type.

IMO, the revenge factor has more to do with today’s violence than the actual graphic displays of violence in movies or video games.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your commentary makes me think of one of my favorites, "Shane" with Alan Ladd and Jack Palance.
mac

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said, DP. Revenge is not justice--and it isn't legal.

Is NW really Yeehah? He can always retreat to the Idaho panhandle. I'm betting on Obama. He's smarter than the guys at the NRA, and I think that there are still enough Republicans smart enough to break with the NRA and the wing-nuts and adopt some Constitutional provisions that will lessen the carnage. The wing nuts will be wing nuts. To expect them to actually pay attention to what the Court has said about the Second Amendment is to expect them to not be wing nuts. Wing away NW.
keycocker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my childhood I attended NRA meetings. They cared about us. When I wanted to buy a pistol my instructor asked why.
I said to shoot little varmints for fun. He advised me to practice with my rifle and not randomly kill living things for fun. Stick with deer for meat and targets.Now that the NRA has been purchased by by the weapons manufacturers as their marketing and lobbying dept., that advice would have gotten him dismissed.
I like coboardhead s idea of making a great range of weapons available at ranges but not when you go to the movies.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
1. Can anyone argue that this gun has a role in protecting second amendment rights?

shouldn't responsible gun owners consider restricting the sale and use of this, and similar, weapons?

"Similar", in the eyes of many on the far left here, in the media, and in the real world, includes anything more deadly than an ordinary slingshot ... certainly a Derringer. In the eyes of Feinstein, it's any gun with even one military characteristic ... which covers just about any feature one could name, most certainly a high-capacity magazine (>10, in her proposal). That alone would make criminals of millions of good citizens. Lord know what Lord Obama will decree if the Congress doesn't knee-jerk quickly enough, despite the fact that one explicit purpose of the Second Amendment was to enable citizens to defend itself against any government gone amuck, including our own. That, in turn, is an honest (I'm not saying overriding) argument I've heard presented for "bearing arms" to include everything the military has, from that slingshot to bazookas to nuclear weapons.

The vast majority of mass shootings already violated many gun laws. The knee-jerk overreactions the government may try to shove down the throats of law-abiding citizens are virtually meaningless, are proven ineffective, already exist in most scenarios (that Connecticut school was ... unfortunately ... a gun-free zone), and go against the public's overwhelming (78%) objection to tightened handgun restrictions. Gun purchases and concealed carry permit requests are up several hundred percent not so much because of the threat of Shady Grove but the far more real threat that Obama, with or without legal authority, will throw our means of self defense out with the bathwater. Heck, even after that Georgia mother emptied her revolver into Slater’s face as he attacked her and her kids three days ago in that closet, he stayed down only because she threatened to shoot again. If he had known she was out of bullets, she and those kids may be dead now. She NEEDED more bullets. Many of the pistols flying off the shelves have clips holding 15-20 bullets, and are more powerful than that lady’s .38. Let’s hope they save far more good lives than they waste.

Liberal, finding a guy holding a knife and standing over a freshly stabbed body, shouts, “Oh, my God, you stabbed him. You’re a murderer. Go directly to jail.”

Same liberal, finding a guy holding a revolver and standing over a freshly shot body, shouts, “Oh, my God, you shot him. You’re a murderer. Go directly to jail.”

Same liberal, finding a guy holding a Glock or AR-15 and standing over a freshly shot body, shouts, “Oh, my God, your magazine holds 15 cartridges. We’ve got to outlaw those.”

I never missed an episode of The Rifleman.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with ISO. Lets not change anything , AND adopt the Republican /NRA plan of arming EVERY school in America. Since Columbine had two armed guards , and that didnt work , we will need 10 at every school to be safe and keep most doors covered. At $100,000 total comp per person, assuming we want quality personnel protecting our children, the total tab will come to about $200B /a year. Since the Tea Baggers are happy to open the purse, how wil they react to this new Ginormous expenditure?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 329, 330, 331  Next
Page 26 of 331

Jump to: