myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gun Nuts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 203, 204, 205 ... 329, 330, 331  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coboardhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legal in Colorado. Don't know about the other states...that's one of the problems. Inconsistent enforcement, registration and laws. National registry does not exist and guns can be sold across state lines with differing levels of scrutiny.

Seems like maybe these could be areas where fantasy could, actually, meet reality with a little political will. Taking my revolver and replacing it with a muzzleloader...not so much. Pretty dangerous too. I assume that you don't own one or you could not possibly suggest folks keep a loaded flintlock in their bedrooms.

I also assume you have no idea what sort of dangers exist with using and storing black powder.

Part of the problem is zealots pushing their agendas. Guess what...folks don't like being told what to do by those on the outside fringes of the political spectrum...either end.
real-human

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
Legal in Colorado. Don't know about the other states...that's one of the problems. Inconsistent enforcement, registration and laws. National registry does not exist and guns can be sold across state lines with differing levels of scrutiny.

Seems like maybe these could be areas where fantasy could, actually, meet reality with a little political will. Taking my revolver and replacing it with a muzzleloader...not so much. Pretty dangerous too. I assume that you don't own one or you could not possibly suggest folks keep a loaded flintlock in their bedrooms.

I also assume you have no idea what sort of dangers exist with using and storing black powder.

Part of the problem is zealots pushing their agendas. Guess what...folks don't like being told what to do by those on the outside fringes of the political spectrum...either end.

Ok a specific point thanks... I bet a gallon of gas it is safer. I am sure the storage and handling is old science and some regs are in place.

you forgot flamethrowers, are they legal? safe or hazardous?

awe seems you are unglued again because you are a gun zealot?
I am all for guns as you can see, I am just for a different manner in storing of them and what can be kept at home. After all the founders really had no intention of the average person owning one. Exactly how much in todays money did a gun cost back them before mass production made them a household affordable item. could only the top 10% aford a few guns at the time. I am curious.

my suggestion as noted meets constitutional muster. And to me that is one of the most important criteria in any arrangement.

are you saying people right now that own black powder guns are a danger to the community and should be arrested? Or are you saying they are irresponsible? Or are you saying these people are too stupid to know what they are doing. Are you saying there is a higher death rate per capita of black powder than state of the art weapons?

real-human

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did a quick search, 4.1k confidence vote whatever that means.

http://www.answers.com/Q/How_much_did_a_rifle_cost_in_1776

How much did a rifle cost in 1776?
EDIT
Answer by Eaglestar78 CONFIDENCE VOTES 4.1K
Quote:
Most firearms were muskets, and cost 1 Pound Sterling. There were a few rifles, such as the Ferguson, but they were very pricey- about 4 Pounds. But to keep this in perspective- a Pound ($5 Continential Dollars) was a good part of a year's wages for many people at that time.

KGB-NP

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baja-human wrote:

It doesn't seem like he's "unglued" at all. His only error is trying to have a rational conversation with an irrational person.
real-human

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NP wrote:
baja-human wrote:

It doesn't seem like he's "unglued" at all. His only error is trying to have a rational conversation with an irrational person.

compulsive serial troll post......

seems you are such a zealot whimp...

techno900

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just some info from a William and Mary Law Review conclusion for Baja's benefit.

Quote:
Thus, everywhere and in every time period from 1636 through 1810, we found high percentages of gun ownership in probate inventories. Approximately 50-79% of itemized male inventories contained guns in all eight databases we discuss here---Jones (National, mostly 1774), Providence (Rhode Island, 1670, 16791726), Gunston Hall (Maryland & Virginia, 1740-1810), Essex County (Massachusetts, 1636-1650), Hawley (Virginia, 1690-1715), Main (Maryland, 1657-1719), McGaw (New Jersey & Pennsylvania, 1714-1789), and Gill (colonial Virginia).

http://scholarship.law.wm.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1489&context=wmlr
jp5

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
...Part of the problem is zealots pushing their agendas. Guess what...folks don't like being told what to do by those on the outside fringes of the political spectrum...either end.

Well said Boardhead.

Here is the fundamental difference between liberal and conservative:

A conservative says "I don't like guns so I am not going to own one".

A liberal says "I don't like guns so no one should own one".
real-human

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpbassman wrote:
coboardhead wrote:
...Part of the problem is zealots pushing their agendas. Guess what...folks don't like being told what to do by those on the outside fringes of the political spectrum...either end.

Well said Boardhead.

Here is the fundamental difference between liberal and conservative:

A conservative says "I don't like guns so I am not going to own one".

A liberal says "I don't like guns so no one should own one".

your logic " a consevative says, I do not like

a liberal says I do not think slavery is moral, so I am not going to own one.

A conservative says that is not going to stop me from owning one..... and/or flying the flag of hate either for that matter.

what a stupid analysis by you as shown........I can go on an on with examples how stupid it was if you wish.. did you come up with that yourself or copy and paste it from some stupid hate site?

real-human

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
Just some info from a William and Mary Law Review conclusion for Baja's benefit.

Quote:
Thus, everywhere and in every time period from 1636 through 1810, we found high percentages of gun ownership in probate inventories. Approximately 50-79% of itemized male inventories contained guns in all eight databases we discuss here---Jones (National, mostly 1774), Providence (Rhode Island, 1670, 16791726), Gunston Hall (Maryland & Virginia, 1740-1810), Essex County (Massachusetts, 1636-1650), Hawley (Virginia, 1690-1715), Main (Maryland, 1657-1719), McGaw (New Jersey & Pennsylvania, 1714-1789), and Gill (colonial Virginia).

http://scholarship.law.wm.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1489&context=wmlr

too funny.... you do not even have a clue what the meaning of probate inventories is...... thanks for proving my point,

even the rich that had huge estates did not all own weapons, did you notice that it even showed how many of these rich did not even have working weapons was also noted.

Do you even have a clue why these right wingers wrote this hit piece, it was to counter another piece showing how few people did own weapons at the time.

so back to your piece, note the whopping numbers, again these were so expensive that they were the top items in the possession of the rich. get it... so expensive they were the highest value of the rich people.

In today it might be a car, but for the rich could be a exotic half million dollar car.

Quote:

To determine gun ownership from probate inventories, the authors
examine three databases in detail-Alice Hanson Jones's national
sample of 919 inventories (1774), 149 inventories from Providence, Rhode Island (1679-1726), and Gunston Hall Plantation's sample of
325 inventories from Maryland and Virginia (1740-1810). Also
discussed are a sample of 59 probate inventories from Essex County,
Massachusetts (1636-1650), Gloria L. Main's study of 604 Maryland
estates (1657-1719), Anna Hawley's study of 221 Surry County,
Virginia estates (1690-1715), a sample of 289 male inventories from
Vermont (1773-1790), and Judith A. McGaw's study of 250 estates
in New Jersey and Pennsylvania (1714-1789). Guns are found in 50-
73% of the male estates in each of the eight databases and

Quote:
Nationally, for the 1765-1790 period, the
average percentage of estates listing guns that Bellesiles reports
(14.7%) is not mathematically possible, given the regional averages
he reports and known minimum sample sizes

techno900

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baja posted:
Quote:
How much did a rifle cost in 1776?

Your implication was that guns were too expensive for many to own. My post simply said that, at least for those died at the time, and their property went through probate, 50-79% owned guns. I also suspect that the less wealthy in rural areas also owned guns for the purpose of hunting. Not everyone lived off farming alone.

My point is simply that lots of US households had guns in our country's early days, and that practice continues today.

Pew Research says that just 34% of current day households have a firearm in their house.

From the NY Times in 2013 -
Quote:
The household gun ownership rate has fallen from an average of 50 percent in the 1970s to 49 percent in the 1980s, 43 percent in the 1990s and 35 percent in the 2000s, according to the survey data, analyzed by The New York Times.

Since Obama has been at the helm, no doubt that gun ownership has been on a significant rise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 203, 204, 205 ... 329, 330, 331  Next
Page 204 of 331

Jump to: