myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gun Nuts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 329, 330, 331  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope to hell that if I ever have to use a gun against a person, it is very, very dangerous. If not, why bother with it?
feuser

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
I hope to hell that if I ever have to use a gun against a person, it is very, very dangerous. If not, why bother with it?

No worries - in your hands, a gun is a frighteningly dangerous thing.

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
nw30

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dperzinski wrote:
Thought Mac’s post was well written and true. It’s time to get the assault weapons ban reinstated and the large magazine clips limited.

Hopefully Senator Feinsteins bill will pass.

Yeah, me too, eventhough the Columbine killings happened right in the middle of the last time that ban was in place.
Details, humph, pay no attention.

Nothing but feel good legislation.

But, but, but, feel good legislation feels so good, it puts a smile on the faces of the politicians so they can move onto something else.
Meanwhile, the people living on the edge of their own mental stability, go on watching and playing their ultra-violent video games whos design was originally meant for training our front line troops.
No problem there.
keycocker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am with NW on that.We expose kids to killing practice.
dperzinski

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know legislation will not stop all these mass killings. Those guns are out there. These things are going to keep happening. Columbine, Virginia Tech, Aurora, New Town. What’s next? But if we can stop even some of these events with legislation, isn’t it worth our effort.
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you dperzinski. I hope Senator Feinstein's bill is passed early next year, but one wonders about those out there that won't support what she's fighting for. One only has to look at some of the specious arguments that some here have already presented. Frankly, I tired of the NRA gun loving BS. It has nothing to do about freedom. No one needs assault weapons and high volume magazines. The sooner they are totally banned the better. And I'm not just talking about the sale of new ones.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dperzinski wrote:
if we can stop even some of these events with legislation, isn’t it worth our effort.

Which legislation will save more lives and prevent more crimes in general ... assault weapons bans or concealed/open carry expansion? The evidence overwhelmingly favors the latter.

I saw a middle aged shopper in a store in Albuquerque wearing an obvious sidearm (anyone can wear them openly in New Mexico, and they're allowed to use deadly force to stop a felon.) I asked him how often anyone "messes with" him. He smiled and said, "Nobody so far."
pueno

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikey wrote:
I asked him how often anyone "messes with" him. He smiled and said, "Nobody so far."

Generally, it's wise to give obvious fruitcakes a wide berth.
techno900

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's assume that there were no assault weapons in the US in private hands, and the kid at Sandy Hook only used the two 9mm pistols his mother owned.

Would the outcome have been any different if he carried two extra clips (15 rounds each) plus the two in the guns = 60 rounds? Reloading may have taken a few seconds longer, but I doubt that it would have made any difference.

I am not opposed to an assault weapon ban, but that would do little good to prevent school killings. Limiting magazine capacity on an assault weapon makes little sense if you can still have 15 round magazines in pistols. Most of this is nothing but "feel good" thinking with little practical benefit.

My last 13 years of work was in two schools where I was in charge of many things including campus security. Policies & procedures, security personnel, video surveillance, "rent-a-cop" for special events, access control, etc. Sandy Hook did EVERYTHING right and what happened? In my opinion, the only thing that could have been added to bolster security would have been an armed security guard. If one had been in place, that may have provided a deterrent for the attack if the kid had known about the guard. If he had known, he may have picked another school. If he was aware of a guard and still wanted to attack that school, the the guard would have been the first target.

The private schools where I worked were open and functioning 7 days a week from 6 am to 10 pm or later on some occasions. Providing security was/is an expensive proposition and we didn't cover everything. Our security staff were not armed. I visited one of the school last week and my replacement told me that the Headmaster was thinking about hiring off duty police to bolster security. No doubt that it would act as a deterrent, but costs are the issue. Many large city public school systems already have armed school police on campuses, but not Elementary or Junior High. They are there to control student issues, not attacks from the outside. I guess the answer is increase taxes/tuition and hire an army of armed police. The kids will be safer, but the nut cases will just go back to the movie theaters, malls, etc. to do their sick deeds.

Bottom line, a person determined to do harm on a suicide mission will still do it no matter the preventative measures or the available arms. Only the venues will change.
jp5

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A gun safe which the kid did not have access to would have prevented this horrible tragedy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 329, 330, 331  Next
Page 2 of 331

Jump to: