myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gun Nuts
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 329, 330, 331  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Gun Nuts Reply with quote

This has to be a candidate for the stupidest statement of 2012:

Gun-rights advocate Jeff Dunhill has a simple plan for preventing another bloodbath--arm the teachers. (December 18, 2012 SF. Chronicle) Another missive from the fact-free world of the far right and the wing nuts.

The experience of Timothy Heyne is a little more indicative of the problems of ready access to guns in a violent culture. Heyne survived a shooting that killed his wife and best friend and left him with a hole in his heart. The shooting, as many, was over in seconds. http://www.sfgate.com/opinion/openforum/article/Stand-up-to-NRA-bullies-4125553.php

I have spent several hours a day, four days a week, for the past 8 years, teaching first graders to read. I cannot imagine someone who is sane killing first graders. All of the adults in the world have a sacred trust to protect and educate young children. So I don't see that the only issue here is the ready availability of guns. Yet the fact that Adam Lanza's mothers bought multiple weapons legally to protect herself from the husband she feared cannot be ignored. In 2008, 12,000 people were killed by guns in America--in Japan, 11. Gun owners are more likely to be shot in assaults, or shoot themselves, or be killed in family violence, than they are to ward off an attack. http://technoccult.net/archives/2009/11/03/gun-owners-more-likely-to-be-shot-than-non-gun-owners/ In 1997, there were 17,566 suicides, compared with 13,522 homicides, according to the National Vital Statistics Report.

Quote:
Author David Hemenway studied the various risks of having a gun in the home, including accidents, suicide, homicide, and intimidation. Additionally, the benefits of having a firearm in a household were also examined and those benefits included deterrence, and thwarting crimes (self-defense). From this in-depth look, it was concluded that homes with guns were not safer or deter more crime than those that do not. In fact, it was found that in homes with children or women, the health risks were even greater. "Whereas most men are murdered away from home," wrote Hemenway. "Most children, older adults, and women are murdered at home. A gun in the home is a particularly strong risk factor for female homicide victimization." It's not just the increased risk by others in a home with a gun, but also an increased risk of suicide. "Even though suicide attempts with guns are infrequent, more Americans kill themselves with guns than with all other methods combined," wrote Hemenway. "That is because among methods commonly used in suicide attempts, firearms are the most lethal." After weighing the evidence on both sides, the review concluded that the risks greatly outweighed the benefits or perceived benefits. "There is compelling evidence that a gun in the home is a risk factor for intimidation and for killing women in their homes, and it appears that a gun in the home may more likely be used to threaten intimates than to protect against intruders," wrote Hemenway. "On the potential benefit side, there is no good evidence of a deterrent effect of firearms or that a gun in the home reduces the likelihood or severity of injury during an altercation or break-in."

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2011-04-guns-home-greater-health-benefit.html#jCp

Adam Lanza's mothers homicide fits into this category--her guns were used to kill her, and 26 others, not to afford her protection from her husband.

It is not so simple a world and I cannot think that regulating guns will stop gun homicides. In the world of crime and drugs, there will continue to be killings over drug territory and disrespect. The rate of murder, by whatever means, will not diminish dramatically in the United States without cultural change. But that doesn't mean that restricting the availability of rapid-fire weapons, particularly to those with mental health issues, would not reduce the number of killings.

I too weep for the loss of life and the loss of innocence among not just the children in Newton Connecticut, but among children throughout this country. It is time to stand up to gun nuts and the violent on the right wing that threaten violence.
nw30

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"and the violent on the right wing that threaten violence."

You just killed your entire post by including that statement.

You mean the right wingers on the right that are members of the labor unions that threatened "there will be blood" when the state legislature in Michigan went against them, those right wingers?
keycocker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

honestly- a good post is ruined for you because you are mad at a union somewhere?
If that is all a person requires to have useful, thoughtful material be ruined, then a similar incident can be found at all times 24/7.
With the loss of good leadership on the Right ,I have no Party to represent me so I take good things from posts like the one above in a non partisan way.
I hope to find others to join me so conservatives can take back our country from Talk Radio and Koch.
There are violent union guys,as many of them Republicans as Dems, I worked with them. There are violent left wingers, violent no politics, and lots of messed up teenagers.
Heavily arming these folks has never made me feel safer. It only became a political issue when the NRA lobby began handing out so much money to Talk guys and pols.
When we were kids the schools were also full of @#%holes.WITH KNIVES.
mac

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NW--that reading for comprehension thing still eludes you, eh? You apparently have forgotten the many posts by Mike Fick bragging about his guns--and his readiness to use them. Or his threats against KC and me. Or the Avatar of Yeehah--crossed assault rifles. I should have also excoriated the violence of the left, although I think it is much rarer. This was not a shoe you needed to put on--but if you are determined to jam it on your foot out of solidarity to the gun nuts--go right ahead.
nw30

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="keycocker"]honestly- a good post is ruined for you because you are mad at a union somewhere?
If that is all a person requires to have useful, thoughtful material be ruined, then a similar incident can be found at all times 24/7.
quote]

Hardly, not my point at all, my point being another thread by a partisian hack who loves to pidgeon hole the right, and will use just a few examples to try to prove his point, 'they're all the same', in other words.
Not just in the OP, but the thread title as well, "Gun nuts", which was directly pointed at the right with his concluding statement.
Not much different than his "Time to gloat" thread.
Partisian hackishness at it's best, he tries to sound serious, starts off that way, but he can't help himself.
mac

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon. The gun nuts all dwell on the right fringe. My point, glad you were able to comprehend it. Too bad you had nothing thoughtful to add to the conversation--but I'm not surprised.
dperzinski

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought Mac’s post was well written and true. It’s time to get the assault weapons ban reinstated and the large magazine clips limited.

Hopefully Senator Feinsteins bill will pass.
feuser

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dperzinski wrote:
Thought Mac’s post was well written and true. It’s time to get the assault weapons ban reinstated and the large magazine clips limited.

Hopefully Senator Feinsteins bill will pass.

In the meantime, an 11 year-old boy brings a .22 to school to protect his fellow six-graders from being attacked. Dunhill's madness is already starting to manifest itself. As the father of a 5th grader, I am seriously worried.

http://news.yahoo.com/utah-boy-charged-bringing-gun-school-cites-fears-023430546.html

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norway, where some of the strictest gun laws exist had a similar incident. There are virtually no guns in Norway. Don't you think a guy with a couple of Molotov cocktails and a couple of sawed off shotguns would kill even more kids? One guy stole a tank. He could have killed thousands.

Should they close all liquor stores because drunk drivers plow into vans full of children? More kids die from drunk drivers than guns.

The problem here is that they let too many people off. His mother tried to commit him. Nothing happened. The ACLU took care of that. The concealed carry states are the safest. They have the least gun violence. 150,000,000 guns have been purchased in the last 20 years and it is estimated that there are 200,000,000 privately owned guns in the U.S. Chicago is the murder capital of the U.S., and they have the strictest gun laws in the nation.

God bless those little children. I pray for their parents.
dperzinski

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="stevenbard"]

Should they close all liquor stores because drunk drivers plow into vans full of children? More kids die from drunk drivers than guns.

But, we're not trying to get rid of "all" the guns, just the real dangerous ones.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 329, 330, 331  Next
Page 1 of 331

Jump to: