myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kiting vs. Windsurfing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrFish

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Kites are good in the surf at all, except maybe in light wind conditions.

They are not immediate, unlike windsurfers the kite takes time to react to rider input, and I also don't seem them really riding waves very much, as opposed to being pulled along in front of the wave.

(Oh, and I am surprised there aren't tons of them in the waves in light wind FL...)
windoggi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Chandler. I watched three kiters at Wadell on head high impossible zippers getting barreled, lines through the lip, going twice as fast as any surfer, and making the windsurfers look absolutely sluggish. I've never kited, but I must say....
wsurfer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best answer to the question was from Robby Niash when I was windusrfing in Maui. He said if you have a lot of wind go windsurfing. If the wind is light get a big kite and go have fun. I took a few lessons in Maui and I have to admit kiting does put a big smile on your face but I have since just stayed with windsurfing.
w8n4wind

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i started kiting in 99, was fun for quite a few years, but between the lines, access issues, and general kite kookines i rarely kite anymore.
still its nice easy alternative, if im tired out from windsurfing, and its not crowded.
generally now, id rather longboard than kite if the wind is light.
once i get older and even more decrepit i'll probably go back to kiting more again.

WutUpWitU

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as always it depends on who you talk to and when
i have windsurfed since '85 and have kited since '06
and still do both

in big wind, like 28+, windsurfing in the gorge is the best
in light wind, like under 28, kiting is the best

in waves, kiting is so much more fun for me, i feel kind of sorry for the lack of mobility of the windsurfers, slow and lumbering with the bigger gear in light wind
a surf board and a kite in the surf, if you know how to surf, is way more fun than a windsurfer and you can push it to ridiculous limits, just let the kite drift(just float with you) and actually surf the wave or
move the kite quickly back and forth and ride the wave really powered up with lots of control
and you can jump big on the way out
if you are any good you do not take up any more room than a windsurfer although windsurfers still get freaked out by the lines without knowing anything about them, they just the most "dangerous" thing ever invented!

think of it as a windsurfer being more like a car, slower to turn and having to look through a windshield whereas
a kitesurfer is more like a motorcycle, quicker to turn, more mobile and no windshield to look through

both very fun at different times and places and if you enjoy a challenge, try to get good at both and see how you feel about it yourself

me, i'm not giving up either until i physically can not do them
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

w8n4wind wrote:
once i get older and even more decrepit i'll probably go back to kiting more again.

Yeah ... like after we're too old for golf. Wink
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WATIPWITU, you make a good case for kiting in swell and surf, but doesn't reaching that skill level take many years? We discussed kiting in surf/swell a few years ago here, and the consensus then was that it's an extremely advanced skill. The only guys I saw kiting in swell then were just bombing it at impressive speeds, not really carving it up. Has newer equipmentmade it easier, or is the increase in it simply due to more kiters having advanced that far?
d0uglass

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windsurfing in the ocean is about 100 times harder than windsurfing in flat water.

But kiteboarding in the ocean is only about 2 times harder than kiteboarding in flat water.

-J

w8n4wind

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^
yep, pretty much agree with that.
kiting in waves is ridiculously easy compared to windsurfing.. so if that what youre looking for, go at it.
myself, i get a much bigger stoke being able to sail those same conditions on a windsurfer, or at least trying too. Embarassed its more of a challenge, so i find more rewarding.
having said that, i do still kite when im feeling kinda lazy, and the shorebreak really is too hard.

swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing I often find to be true is that both windsurfers and kiters tend to graduate to the waves, if waves are available. Waves bring on a much more complex environment that many folks want to leverage off of, and that's despite the cost and damage that can often occur to equipment, or even your physical being. It's about the thrill of it. Also, the best folks in the waves are really admired in both sports.

Over time, it's my experience that windsurfers that are concentrating on waves can be easily converted to the kiting scene. Without question, the numbers prove it. Nevertheless, there are those of us that chose windsurfing as our favored path. Not all paths provide the same thrill, complexities and interest. No doubt, it says quite a lot about human nature.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: