myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Struggling Intermediate on the verge of giving up
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest a small sailboat like a laser or windrider trimaran for that windspeed.
Buying special gear and giant sails is chasing an expensive dream that you will find doesn't really exist.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fifty years ago, when I was 10, I learned to sail dinghys at summer camp. I loved it immediately! Like windsurfing, the real fun begins when you start to see whitecaps. Although one can sail a boat or a windsurfer in 5-10 kts., it's not very fast and exciting. I've noticed over the years that the fun begins at around 12 kts. For me that means a big board, and at least a 7.5 meter sail. I find the 7.5 a great size for light wind, it's not too big even if the wind picks up to near 20.

If you get a fair number of days where the wind is in the 8-15, or 10-20 range get a 7.5. It will seem huge compared to your 5.5. but you will be planing and in the straps most of the time.

You have probably noticed that it's easier to plane when sailing on a broad reach, so if you can't plane on a reach, use your dagger board if you have one, to get up wind, then retract it and sail downwind.

I would not recomend going much larger than 7.5 at first. I weigh 68 kilos, and my firts big sail was a 7.0 it took some getting used to, then a year later I got an 8.5.

I get mostly 5-10 kt. days here in Ct. I use those days for light wind freestyle when I have the time. I have no desire to try formula with it's huge sails and very expensive equipment, but that's just me. A really good fin for one of those things costs $800.00 + , [ Kashy] . Maybe some day I'll get into it.

I also kiteboard, but am not very good at it yet. I too thought it would work better in lower winds, but found myself struggling to keep the kite in the air. I prefer to windsurf now, but that may change.

Don't give up yet, get that 7.5, you will be pleasantly surprised I think. It works for me and has trippled my time on the water.

Paul
rgomez

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll stick to windsurfing...and probably hold on to waterstarting, planning and carve gybing for the monsoon winds...4 months windsurfing is plenty

I feel that even though kitesurfing is easier to transport around..Its really not much fun with low patchy winds where im guessing a lot of my time will be spent sitting in the water trying to get the kite to fly....not to mention the dangers getting dragged on land or hurting somebody else...I probably will keep kitesurfing for holidays to windy locations.

I definately should look at a larger sail to increase speed in my lower wind range...Im thinking a 7.5 to 8.2 may send me planning though gusts and for lucky days where we get 10-15knot winds

However, Im still confused over the board....given the high price of equipment...is it really worth moving to a 120-140L board.....will it help me early planning in light winds compared to my wide 180L and what if I choose a longboard...do these plane in higher winds?

I probably will make a trip down to goa in Jan/Feb where I will try out new equipment.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buyer beware when shopping for long boards. planing ones are in the minority compared to the SUP's that claim to sail well. big hint, if they have foot straps and a flatter rocker toward the foot strap and aft area, then they'll more than likely plane.

http://www.lbwindsurfing.com/forum

this is an example of what do most of the time in florida surf.

http://schmidtphotography.smugmug.com/Other/Windsurfer-11-24-12-Canaveral/26737776_GxMJvc#!i=2237702822&k=XnF3Npv

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not clear to me, rgomez, whether you're referring to new longboards (e.g. SUPs) or old longboards (e.g., Superlight). Jingerbritsen is addressing the former. The latter plane just fine, and are fun whether planing or not.

But going down in size (the 120-140L boards you mentioned) is the wrong direction for early planing. The bigger and wider the better, generally speaking, for early planing. There are even boards designed expressly for early planing; perhaps one of those would get you planing closer to home and outside te monsoon season, especially if your winds out on the water are more like 10 kts than 6 kts. If not that, once again, 6-10 is ideal light air freestyle stuff, for which a big freestyle board MAY work for you. (I emphasize the MAY because if you're not planing, you might just need pure flotation without regard to board design or intent.)

Mike \m/
inarchetype

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just so as to forestall confusion, not alll "new" longboards are SUP's...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yns4CEG9jco
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgomez,

A 120-140 liter board will not get you planing earlier than your 180 JP Funster. Keep your board & fin, they are fine. You just need a bigger rig. As stated above something around a 7.5 should be fine. You will obviously need a bigger mast but depending on the size of the boom you use with your 5.5 you may not need a new boom. Figure out how far your boom can extend and if it can go out to 210 cm or so you can also fit some 7.5 sails on it.

Coachg
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inarchetype wrote:
just so as to forestall confusion, not alll "new" longboards are SUP's...

(Thus my "e.g."; I hope it didn't mislead you.)
That's one mind-blowing board! rgomez, you need to look into this one. Check out this review of it at
http://tinyurl.com/cyodqov .
Realize that it's written by the manufacturer or distributor, but nevertheless this board is intended for exactly the conditions you describe near home. With no other choices 8 months out of the year (and an 8-hour round trip in the windy 4 months), this might be a no-brainer, budget permitting.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd opt for the 8.2 and a larger skeg in your Funster. Many people on this
board have said that 10 Knots is not enough to plane. My own 185 lbs
worth of experience is that I can plane quite nicely on my 155 Ltr Angulo,
Sumo with my 9.5 Retro(carbon mast and boom of course), and a 60 cm skeg,
in 10 Knots with just a bit of pumping. It's a lot of fun zipping around
at about twice wind speed, with a big light rig, and the Angulo is not a
formula board, so for me a much less technical ride.

I'd guess that I can hold a plane in about 8 Knots with my rig, realizing
that it is speciality gear, and by the time the wind hits 15 Knots, I want
something else. Said specialty gear comes at a hefty price, but in some
loctions, 70-80% of the yearly wind is in the barely planable range.

-Craig

p.s. I spend most of my sailing hours in high wind, and I still have a rig
like this. Some people would say I have an addictive personality.....
and they'd be right.

rgomez wrote:
I think I'll stick to windsurfing...and probably hold on to waterstarting, planning and carve gybing for the monsoon winds...4 months windsurfing is plenty

I feel that even though kitesurfing is easier to transport around..Its really not much fun with low patchy winds where im guessing a lot of my time will be spent sitting in the water trying to get the kite to fly....not to mention the dangers getting dragged on land or hurting somebody else...I probably will keep kitesurfing for holidays to windy locations.

I definately should look at a larger sail to increase speed in my lower wind range...Im thinking a 7.5 to 8.2 may send me planning though gusts and for lucky days where we get 10-15knot winds

However, Im still confused over the board....given the high price of equipment...is it really worth moving to a 120-140L board.....will it help me early planning in light winds compared to my wide 180L and what if I choose a longboard...do these plane in higher winds?

I probably will make a trip down to goa in Jan/Feb where I will try out new equipment.
rgomez

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it makes sense to stick to my Funster 180 then...Its wide and provides lots of flotation for bigger rigs.

I think longboards are out of the question..I learnt on one and found it extremly heavy to carry.

Im currently using the neil pryde xperience 5.5 rig...The mast size is 460cms...not sure about the boom but the mast extension is 28cms....how high sail size will I be able to go without having to buy a new mast and boom....and will I be able to use mast extenders or increase the mast extension size?

Also will the be much difference in low-end power between a 7.5 and 8.2m sail?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: