myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
No easy answers we're all farked
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 43, 44, 45  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
I didn't realize until yesterday that this trillion-dollar platinum coin suggestion was not an intentional joke; ya just mints 16 of them, hands them to China and India, and declare our debts settled. SURELY not one single person here fails to see that it's nothing more than a metal I.O.U. to replace the present paper ones.

Even more stunning was the revelation that none other than Paul Krugman SUPPORTS the trillion dollar coin. We knew he was a blazing idiot, but not that he thinks everyone else on the planet is even dumber than he.

Paul Krugman is a Nobel winner, and if you track his economic forecasts back thirty years, his ability to predict is quite good.
pueno

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikey wrote:

Even more stunning was the revelation that none other than Paul Krugman SUPPORTS the trillion dollar coin. We knew he was a blazing idiot, but not that he thinks everyone else on the planet is even dumber than he.

Gee, Mikey, but Krugman is a pretty bright guy. And he would be right to think that MANY are dumber than he... he'd no doubt give you special consideration on that figure of merit. And after reading your many thoughtful, insightful posts, Krugman might even extend his IQ scale for you.

Downward.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Stuff it... I pay my own VA disability benefits."

What a pantload!
keycocker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the trillion dollar coin interesting. It was not an Obama idea, just one of those things blamed on him by the fake press.
It would be deposited in the treasury and then cashed out after the GOP leadership stops holding a gun to the head of the American people to enforce their policies.
It would not be real - just like all those scraps of paper in your wallet.
It is an idea that is a potent reminder of how worthless all currency really is esp gold coins.
Try to buy a cabbage at the store with an American Eagle.
Or spend a $500 bill.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:

What a pantload!

I wonder how that works. If Mr. Fick somehow qualifies at a rating of at least 30% disabled (paranoia doesn't count) he could receive $1026 per month from the VA. How is that self-paid?

coboardhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanWeiss wrote:
swchandler wrote:

What a pantload!

I wonder how that works. If Mr. Fick somehow qualifies at a rating of at least 30% disabled (paranoia doesn't count) he could receive $1026 per month from the VA. How is that self-paid?

I believe one needs to be 50% disabled to draw both retirement and disability concurrently. However, one can subtract the disability from retirement pay and reduce the taxes - if disability is less than 50%.
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead, let me understand this situation a little better for someone receiving disability payments for a disability less than 50%. I would assume that if one reaches retirement, they receive the full amount that they qualify for. So when you say that one can subtract the disability payment from retirement pay, I have to think that it doesn't really mean that your retirement pay would be reduced at all. If I understand what I think you're saying, one can subtract their disability payment from their retirement pay received for tax purposes. In other words, if one is receiving 3K per month in retirement and 1k per month in disability, that one would be taxed at only 2K per month? That would suggest that a person was receiving 4K per month, and would only be taxed on 2K per month. Of course, maybe I'm not getting it at all. Maybe you can give me a monetary example to explain how this sort of thing essentially works.

Frankly, I'm kind of amazed that someone can be considered 30% or 50% disabled, but I always worked for private business and never for the government or the US military. You know, I had a heart attack while I was still working. For almost my whole career I worked at least 50-55 hours per week in a very high stress job, and I know that contributed to my problem to some degree. If I was working for the US military, one wonders if a heart attack would qualify as a disability worthy of some kind of lifetime disability compensation.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chandler...An in-law of mine received partial disability. I cannot remember how much he received, but it went something like this...His retirement was $2000 per month disability was $500 per month. He received two checks each month $1500 retirement and $500 disability. The disability payment reduced the retirement amount. But, only the $1500 is taxable. Before he retired he was receiving disability for a number of years.

I do not have any problem with disability insurance for anyone. In the military it comes with the lower pay. The rest of us have SS to rely on, I do know of folks who have received SS disability due to heart conditions. Of course, they were too sick to windsurf!
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks coboardhead for the explanation. It does clarify things for me quite a bit. Now I can see how isobars rationalizes a situation where he funds his own disability. Of course, that's not really true, but we all know he likes to twist things out of perspective. Now, the only things left to ferret out is what his "work related" disability compensation is really for and why he deserves it.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the original thread title. Congrats fellow Americans!!! The stock market is at another high, housing is raging(especially here in tech land), and NorCal is expecting a perfect glassy weekend for those who enjoy the ocean and big waves.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Page 7 of 45

Jump to: