myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Used 95-100 liter board...smooth in chop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
akrausz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Used 95-100 liter board...smooth in chop Reply with quote

Just getting back into windsurfing. I weigh 210 and sail in the ocean in southeast Florida...some waves, lots of chop. I've owned many boards since the late '80's and currently have boards from 80 to 150 liters. The one I am considering replacing is a Fanatic Rip Wave 268, 97 liters, 57 cm wide that I would use from 5.0-6.0. I'm no expert but it appears to have some tail rocker and vee.

I like to sail in the waves once in a while, I'm not into jumping, and I don't care about going faster than anybody else. But my aging knees would like the smoothest ride I can get through the bumps...I don't need a lively ride. I would like to buy used and keep the price under $500. I am open to suggestions from any year.

Thanks in advance.
Andre
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My TOP priority ... heck, it's a mandate ... is back foot steering (i.e., I demand full, instant, high-G, slash response with every heel or toe twitch of my strapped-in back foot). Fortunately, many or most wavy boards of 5-15 years ago were designed for that, so I still have MANY choices based on my second priority: a smooth ride at any speed in chop, whether it's calf-high on level water or chest-high on top of large swell. My knees don't care much, but my vision goes severely blurry when my head gets bounced around. I look for and/or add several features to maximize ride smoothness at high speed (almost any normal board rides smoothly at slow planing speeds).

I focus on wave boards. Even the fast ones usually ride more smoothly in chop than other styles. FSW is OK with less power or less chop, and modern short/wides (aka Stubbies) are fun on smooth water with lighter power and no big gusts, but I see that mix only in magazines.

Next, I pretty much avoid today's short/wide boards for that application. As a group, they're slower, rougher in chop, and prefer front foot steering (i.e., with literally the front foot or with the back foot out of its strap and moved forward). There are probably some exceptions, but they are rare, IMO and that of Boards Magazine. They are needles in a haystack I’m tired of digging through. I found one that steers like I like, but when I’m getting overpowered in chop it goes ashore so I can see what I’m doing and can go faster. My stubbie 80L 2008 Starboard EVO XTV (Extra Vee) beat the crap out of me when powered up in Gorge chop.

At that point, gimme a 1998-2008 wave board under about 55 cm wide in its 80L size … maybe > 58 cm at the mid-90s volume. You can’t have too much vee, but some other hull shapes such as AHD’s Power Wave can ride extremely well, too. Narrow tails with plenty of vee really help ride, tracking, and control at speed in chop.

After that, deck pads matter. Your RIP has heel bumpers, I think; if not, adding a layer of padding would help, but the magazine reviews of the 90L RIP praise its vee, soft rails, and resulting soft ride as is.

You have roughly 15-20 pounds on me, which takes a toll in planing power. However, I’ve been >200# some summers (I eat more then for energy), I’m always wearing neoprene, my wind is full of holes, and 95 liters is a BIG board for me, so our effective sizes aren’t that different. Stubbies do plane better, so I may use my 90L stubby waveboard when the chop and gusts are modest and I need extra planing power more than optimal speed and ride.

Generally speaking, JPs of that era were noted more for speed than for ride. I’ve seen some proud owners of recent JP FSWs in your size come ashore cursing the rough ride they got in Gorge chop; my longer, narrower, smaller 2006 JP FSW 78L is pretty darned smooth at speed in chop.

I’ve not ridden an RIP, but I own and love many of its peers for their steering, ride, comfort, speed, and precise control when really powered up in big chop. A few of the boards on my short list due their soft ride include these, with brief comments from their reviews and/or first hand experience:
My 2001(?) AHD Power Wave was both very fast AND exceptionally smooth. I sold it only because it didn’t turn on the back foot.
2000 Seatrend All Star “EATS chop”.
2004 Naish Supercross “loves chop”.
2006 Exocet WAve “silky smooth”.
2007 Exocet Cross “silky smooth”.

Perhaps easier to find is one of my very favorites: the Naish Pro 1111 Wave. I have the 2008 80L version, and trust it and like its ride and TOTAL predictability. When I need that much volume because of holes or wind shadow but need a 3.2-3.7 sail because it’s generally extremely windy, that’s my Go-To ride. I trust it 100% never to bite me or ride too harshly. At least in 2007, it came in a 95L size; I’ll bet that would be a great board for you from something like 5.2 to 7.5; my 80L is a marvel from 3.5 to 6.2. It’s billed as Robby’s ideal wave board, but it also makes a superb B&J board when earliest planing and top speed are not high priorities.

Don’t forget that Windance, Big Winds, and Curtis Sport Connection ship anywhere.

Mike \m/
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

local purchases make a good part of buying easier.

browse this from time to time:

http://www.progressivesports.com/windsurfing-used-boards.php

new and/or closeouts:

http://www.progressivesports.com/windsurfing-boards-freeride.php

cross, nano, curve, x-wave. lots to choose from. all with extra smooth ride. beware of lotsa rocker, can make a board rather fore and aft rocky and rough. also lotsa rocker makes planing up feel like one is riding uphill all the time.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

look at the buy/sell section and under boards type in Naish

52008 #

PM or respond to add if interested.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
beware of lotsa rocker, can make a board rather fore and aft rocky and rough. also lotsa rocker makes planing up feel like one is riding uphill all the time.

Hear, hear. The older (1980s ?) Hawaiian wave boards were bananas ... slow speed, slow to plane, dedicated to the sole purpose of sliding downhill at wave (slow) speeds. When not doing that they were slugs; in B&J applications they felt like they had a sweat shirt stuck on the fin. Most wave boards since then are much faster, plane MUCH more easily, and ride better at speed in chop. The stubbies, however, have become once again more specifically tuned to sliding down smooth hills at the expense of B&J performance in the real (choppy) world.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by isobars on Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
inarchetype

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by inarchetype on Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink
akrausz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
I really appreciate the time you took to reply to my post. Your posts are very informative; I have read many of them. I even downloaded a couple of the fitness books you recommended.

Somebody has an AHD Power Wave locally on craigslist...fired them off an email.

Jingebritsen,
Thanks for the tip on Progressive Sports. It's a 3-hour drive for me, but I do need to get up there one of these days.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

akrausz wrote:
Mike,
I really appreciate the time you took to reply to my post. Your posts are very informative; I have read many of them. I even downloaded a couple of the fitness books you recommended.

Somebody has an AHD Power Wave locally on craigslist...fired them off an email.

Man, if you're talking about that 262 advertised in Stuart, you should be camped on the guy's doorstep with his $250 (+ a $100 if it floats). Wink

Whether it's the blue-gray 2000 or the blue & white 2001, the magazine reviews on it sound outstanding for your objectives. If it's anything like the smaller '01 I had (with allowance for the bigger size) and/or anything like its WSMag reviews*, I believe you'd feel your $250 was very well spent. Don't forget to weigh it if there's any doubt about its water content; it should weigh about 15.25# for the 2000 or 16# for the 2001.

* I've bought way over a dozen different 1998-2008 boards of many brands and models based on those reviews, and feel I have learned how to interpret them fairly accurately. If you want the review for this 262, let me know and I'll post it for ya. Overall, its strongest point seems to be versatility, including early planing, ride comfort, wind and terrain range, and bias towards heavyweights.

I presume the two books you downloaded were BBS and PACE, both of which remain my two favorite conditioning programs and books. Add a good focused core strength book (my favorite is "The New Rules of Lifting for Abs" by Schuler and Cosgrove), and all you'll lack is a dedicated sports nutrition book and some level of gym facilities. Just readjusting my carb and protein intake alone quickly and very obviously improved my physique and function.

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: