myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Life Vest
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UrbanFisher,

I was just wondering how the F2 comet was working for you. What solution did you use for the mast base connection?
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nitrogen is used for normal EVA, isn't it, and most foam for waterski vests?
Looks like it'd work, but most people wanting some float might choose 14 or 17 lbs., and it'd cost a whole lot less.
I guess, if a 250 lbs RayLewis or BrianUrlacher came running at your ribs at full speed, your ribs can still break from the sustained impact and weight of those guys.
UrbanFisher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!!! These are some wonderful replies!

And there have been some great over all safety comments brought up. As I said I consider myself a good swimmer, but there are other thing to be aware of. As a beginner, I was thinking a life vest may make it a bit safer. I'm sure I'll be falling a lot. If I don't have to always tread water each time I'm in the drink, maybe I won't tire as quickly. Also if the lake is kinda crowded, its nice to have the extra protection just in case. If a power boat were to hit you or the mast for some reason bangs your head and your knocked unconscience, no swimming ability is going to help you at that point!! A game warden buddy of mine made a comment to me many years ago that I'll probably never forget..."We have never done a body recovery that was wearing a life jacket!"
UrbanFisher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Mark, missed your post when I was posting my last reply. I'm actually amazed that you remember my situation! I have yet to actually take that thing out!! The water is getting cold here and I don't have a wet suit (yet!). Also I tried some ideas on how to fix the mast base and I think I have a solution. I haven't fixed it yet (been really busy with the up coming holidays and such) but it shouldn't take me maybe $10 and an hour or two to fix it. It will be a complete Jerry rig job, but it should work. I'll post some pics of my solution when I'm done (fingers crossed it works). But at least I know if what I have in mind won't work, I can always buy the parts to adapt it to a modern mast base if needed.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it's meant to stop bull horns and hooves, I'm hoping it can handle booms and errant bodies in its sleep. Besides, I don't normally sail in crowds, so my primary concern is my own equipment and landing flat on my back from altitude.

I decided price was no object about the third time I cracked/bruised some ribs, as shred time is priceless. Additionally, the last torso shot I got before buying this vest hit just at and below the bottom edge of my DaKine Matrix and nailed my bottom two ribs and the internal organs below the ribs. The ER doc said I could have died overnight if I had played macho and delayed getting my kidney and liver checked for any bleeding. This lightweight MotoXvest plus my harness covers everything from my collarbones to my pelvis, inclusive, with no swimming restriction. I haven't even felt crashes that I believe would have injured me with any other vest I've ever seen. My primary remaining concern is knees, then ankles.

I'm just guessing on the flotation. It's enough to keep my piehole dry and not so much that I can't swim straight down. Check, and check.

And it comes in Safety Yellow for the Hatchery.
grayson

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been pretty happy with the "High Hook" vest from Neil Pryde. It's designed specifically to work with a harness, and does so pretty well for me. Critically for me, it has a handy (and deceptively roomy) pocket to keep some stuff in for "just in case" situations. For even longer journeys, they make a "Hydropouch" accessory that attaches to the back of the vest to store more stuff in, possibly including the included hydration pouch. See both vest and hydropouch here:

Neil Pryde Surf impact & floatation vests

I wear mine notsomuch because of local laws (which don't seem to be too strictly enforced in my area), but mainly because I tend to sail very far from shore, often alone, and I like the extra insurance of not only the floatation, but especially the pocket space for a cellphone-in-a-bag, some spare line and duct tape and the like, a good whistle, and sometimes a hydration pouch and some snacks for longer journeys.

When I make trips to "destination sailing" areas where I'm BAF-ing near the beach I generally ditch the vest.

Just my 2¢ and change. Cool
techno900

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought one of these
http://store.kittyhawk.com/Neil-Pryde-Marine-High-Hook-Impact-Vest-P2413.aspx

A Neil Pryde impact vest from Mariner Sails in Dallas. Works great and a few of my buddies wear them too. I have been windsurfing 28 years and this is the first time that I have chosen to wear something like this, but old and wise is a reality, plus I am an excellent swimmer. It's not Coast Guard Approved because it doesn't have the required flotation, but it is nice for water starting when you have to work your way from the mast tip to the boom.

Texas doesn't have a flotation devise law for windsurfers, plus it's not "uncool" to wear one. Most of us also wear helmets when the wind picks up to 20+ on our smaller boards. The only time I have been really "bonked" on the head was when I wasn't wearing a helmet.

If you get trapped under your sail with this impact vest on, and have average swimming skills, it's easy to get out from under the sail. It only takes about 5 seconds to work your way to the side and get out. Never try to push up on the sail, it doesn't work. Relax, anyone can hold there breath for 5-10 seconds even after a complete exhale.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
The only time I have been really "bonked" on the head was when I wasn't wearing a helmet.

If that were true for me, I'd have no right eyeball or socket ... twice ... and would be dead so the eye socket thing wouldn't matter.
LeeD

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

30 years of windsurfing, at least 4 in the waves, I've never needed a helmet for the top or back of my head.
At least 3 times, I needed a face shield to protect from booms, masts, or boards.
Since a face shield is difficult to mount on my naked head, due to long hair, maybe a helmet is the next best alturative.
techno900

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Protective gear is not essential by any means, but it does keep the wife happy, so it can be a wise investment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: