myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Half Moon Bay this weekend?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
damel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Half Moon Bay this weekend? Reply with quote

Is the storm system that is supposed to roll through this week the kind that can lead to some decent wind in Half Moon Bay. I know it isn't as nice as the summer wind in the area but this being my first full year in the area I have never tried windsurfing Half Moon bay on the tail end of one of the winter storms and I am looking for some time on the water.

Is anyone else thinking about trying it this weekend? Do most people launch on the inside launch furthest west.
http://thewindmap.com/#37.49358790813489,-122.46760368347168,14

harris52

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So yes,

the launch is the furthest one west which is inside the harbor. The other two are more kiting launches. It won't look like much, but there is some parking and a sign about water quality or something.

Another thing you can check is:
http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~ovens/wxloop.cgi?mm5d1_e_slp+//72/3

It will show you how the storm is coming in, expected wind strengths and give you a heads up about the potential if the forecast doesn't come in exactly right (because you will know if there is high/low pressure nearby). HMB is basically prefontal southerly winds, the rest of the bay area works at it's normal spots postfrontal if you get high pressure following the storm for clearing winds.
jse

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: Half Moon Bay this weekend? Reply with quote

damel wrote:
Is the storm system that is supposed to roll through this week the kind that can lead to some decent wind in Half Moon Bay. I know it isn't as nice as the summer wind in the area but this being my first full year in the area I have never tried windsurfing Half Moon bay on the tail end of one of the winter storms and I am looking for some time on the water.

Is anyone else thinking about trying it this weekend? Do most people launch on the inside launch furthest west.
http://thewindmap.com/#37.49358790813489,-122.46760368347168,14

Not that this will help (storm's coming early) but my experience is the cleanest wind is pre-frontal at HMB. But you can ride it right on through the storm if you don't mind getting wet. Launch right by the pier.

Steve
PAmuddog

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Palo Alto gets the same "prefontal" winds as HMB and has a bit healthier water quality.

I've been winter sailing it with other dawgs for years. You ought to try it some time, like right now, it's 22g32!

Gates open at 8 am, you get 4' of water to return to the launch, and it's flooding. Perfect setup!

Don't miss it!
maverickbay154

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Great Whites inside half moon bay marina Reply with quote

I've seen some seals inside the marina near the windsurf launch. I'm wondering if anybody has encountered whitey while sailing.
It'll be my first time @ hmb so i'm a bit apprehensive. spoiled by coyote point.
LeeD

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much scarier than sharkbites are tether lines for the various boats inside the harbor. Usually set in rations of 7-1, meaning in 10' of water, there is 70' of line out, so you can catch your fin going downwind of the boats. Leave 100' clearance minimum.
I know some surface sharks, bigger than 10' have been seen cruising inside HMB. No bites, no bumps, no chases yet thoughs. Don't hit seals, you can rip the fin and box right off your board, but worse, how you'll feel afterwards.
I've surfed for 25 years, 6 days a week, and never got bit. Seen maybe 4 sharks total.
If you're trolling for sharks by learning to waterstart, you will be able to attract one or two. Hopefully, once up, and cruising along at 27 mph, they won't follow you.
Watch for the dog poo. It's much more dangerous than sharks.
gerritt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The long anchor lines coming off the bows of the boats and angling into the water are always fun. The black ones are the best -- practically invisible. Going 25-30 full out in the rain and suddenly running into one makes for exciting conditions. Luckily we lead with our masts, not our necks. Kiters beware!

BTW - tomorrow might be the call for HMB or any other south spot. It looks like a wider window for wind than today and showers, rather than rain.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: