myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Pipe dream? Obamacare
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 199, 200, 201  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nearly the first thing overpower said on the forum, and the first on this subject:

Quote:
do you think there is any connection between the Democrats wanting to pass on a Law to approve Gay marriage and the fact that now, under Obama Care, all of these Newly wed people will pay more as a couple than as single individuals? Do you know anything about ACA being based on individual plans, not family packages? And how about this rumor that what is coming next is the amnesty bill. Apparently this new bill will allow for an Illegal alien to became "Legal Residents". Under the new law, these new residents will be able to legally work, pay taxes and vote, but otherwise, not be able to "Legally" collect any Federal benefits including Obama Care.

To start with, the Supreme Court, which has a majority of Republicans, said that denying gay people benefits because of their sexual orientation violated their rights. Maybe the term "amnesty bill" is not pejorative, but most of the comments about Obama have been, and have held him to a different standard than his predecessor. That is, by any measure, discriminatory.

So having started with pejoratives, OP trots out his argument. He's from France, doesn't really understand American government, certainly has not read anything of any depth about the ACA, but based on his experience in France and his dislike for Obama has decided that he doesn't trust government. Wow, what passes for an argument!

OP--try living in a country like Somalia, or Afghanistan, where the government has failed or become completely corrupt. Do it soon.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac...Keycocker hit the nail on the head when he mentioned that people develop opinions by researching in their minds instead of the real world.

We see plenty of examples of that here. Regardless of what the statistics and facts actually show, many here regard their personal experience as more relevant. There is no convincing people who have made up their minds based on emotion.

My own fact free position is in regards to gun control. Everybody has one...sadly some of us develop every position based this way. We just cannot get beyond what we believe to be the truth sometimes.
keycocker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just look how often folks repeat that Drudge nonsense about Congress not being subject to the ACA.
They will tell that lie until they die, no matter how often they hear the truth.

You know CB, I find in politics and related social issues many people ignore their personal experiences.
You hear folks ranting that libs or GOP or blacks think something, but when you ask them if the libs,GOP that they know in their family believe that crap they just stare at you.
I did not have the media to misinform me most of my life. I built my ideas on personal experiences with real human beings. The left right thing trashing our country is built on assigning false opinions to others in the media and partisans adopting it in their personal lives.
If they ask each other their opinions and looked carefully at their personal experiences, most of the rancor will prove artificial.
mac

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CB--agreed. As you can tell, I am offended when someone posts something showing crude bias--like OP's anti-gay slur--and then the chorus insists that racism has nothing to do with their animus to Obama.

On gun control, the problem is intertwined with America's culture, and there will be no "solutions" unless the culture changes to move away from their embrace of violence. Manifest everywhere from the NRA's good guy with a gun to Obama's original proposal to "punish" the people in Syria for Assad's crimes. Too much John Wayne. But with that said, reasonable efforts to keep guns out of the hands of those who are unbalanced, or a waiting period so guns are used for hot-headed revenge, would help. It is too bad that the faulty reasoning of the right considers the perfect the enemy of the good, and opposes even small steps that easily pass constitutional muster.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am shopping for insurance today. So far, on my first quote, I have saved about $100 per month with a more reputable insurance carrier than I currently have. Last year this company did not have an HSA and ACA compatible high deductible plan. That's two new sails a year for the same coverage!
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
many here regard their personal experience as more relevant. There is no convincing people who have made up their minds based on emotion.

Strange observation, coming from the same man who told us many months ago that he didn't watch the news because his vast array of personal contacts and contracts was more relevant.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new Gallup poll has found that 25 percent of today's uninsured plan to stay that way.

The poll, released on September 30, noted that two in three of those surveyed said they "planned" to get insurance rather than pay the small fine at the end of the year. The poll further found that under half intend to take advantage of the state or federal insurance exchanges when they are finally up and running.
keycocker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was uninsured for years and would never have even thought about a gov. exchange.
I never signed up for unemployment either.
I took care of myself, all that had nothing to do with me.

On the other hand when they get hurt and stroll into an emergency room for some free care at taxpayer expense those uninsured may get a nasty surprise under the ACA.
scottwerden

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just retired and discovered that I have what the insurance industry considers a pre-existing condition. Insurance denied. ACA of course fixes that, for which I am extremely pleased. I really do not get why the right is so against making sure everyone has access to insurance. ACA was heavily based on programs advocated for, and implemented by, Republicans. The idea of required insurance came right out the Republican party plank. Parts of ACA were patterned off of what Mitt Romney did in MA. The whole repudiation of ACA by the right smells like sour grapes to me. The ironic thing is that it is popular enough that the new exchanges were overwhelmed yesterday, the same day the Republicans are shutting down the government because "ACA is bad for America".
nw30

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottwerden wrote:
I just retired and discovered that I have what the insurance industry considers a pre-existing condition. Insurance denied. ACA of course fixes that, for which I am extremely pleased. I really do not get why the right is so against making sure everyone has access to insurance. ACA was heavily based on programs advocated for, and implemented by, Republicans. The idea of required insurance came right out the Republican party plank. Parts of ACA were patterned off of what Mitt Romney did in MA. The whole repudiation of ACA by the right smells like sour grapes to me. The ironic thing is that it is popular enough that the new exchanges were overwhelmed yesterday, the same day the Republicans are shutting down the government because "ACA is bad for America".

I understand that you will now be able to get covered, but have you been able to check yet as to how much it will cost you?
From what I'm understanding so far, is that you won't get turned down with a pre existing condition, however those people will have premiums that will be substantially higher than those w/o.
Let us know what you find out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 199, 200, 201  Next
Page 67 of 201

Jump to: