myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Pipe dream? Obamacare
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 199, 200, 201  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
My only comment about taxes was that "taxing the rich to kingdom come" would not produce the result that liberals think

The people here cannot think taxing the rich ... not even taking 100% of their income, with no deductions, will cover even the admitted annual deficit, let alone touch the federal debt ... and that's just the $16T in borrowed cash, not the $86T in unfunded liabilities.

These people know that. Krugman ... Bernanke ... Reid ... Obama ... even Geithner know it. It's simple arithmetic as applied to IRS and other openly available government data. Anyone still claiming otherwise is simply stupid. (No, I don't mean ignorant instead of stupid, because anyone so ignorant they don't know that is stupid for being so ignorant about matters that affect their own fiscal and physical security so strongly.)
keycocker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think we differ with the libs on the role of gov in the sense ththeir are are two hardened views.
If you ask a lib if they support high taxes, lots of gov regs and control, giving a free ride to lazy bums, you will not find any who like those things.

The right media has assigned that opinion to the most diverse group of Americans in our history. Asians, white, brown,their agendas and needs are as diverse as their backgrounds. Many liberals among my friends detest government.
The biggest rise in the Food Stamp enrollments under Obama are in counties with the most Republican voters. This is consistent US wide.
Many southern GOP States are welfare states.
All those GOP on welfare, what is their view on the role of Government in their lives? It varies widely, just like with Dems.
Talk in particular is now taking the position that conservatives should not listen to the real ideas of Dems because that is a waste of time.
It also causes confusion when you can't find a Dem who believes in tbe BS talk radio ascribes to them. You could wind up turning off Talk Radio.
There could be no greater disaster among the lobbyists who pay these guys.

Last edited by keycocker on Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
feuser

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
This thread was about the ACA, and my input was about my skepticism regarding the management and cost, plus its impact on business, capital investment and the national debt crisis.

My only comment about taxes was that "taxing the rich to kingdom come" would not produce the result that liberals think, and that it could backfire.

I never said they shouldn't be taxed more, just that it's not the solution.

And I am OK with raising taxes, but we ALL should share in the burden.

As I said - "brick wall". There will never be agreement because we differ in what we want our government's roll to be, so no need to continue.

Raising the taxes across the board is just bad math. The people in the $50k-$120k income bracket (in my experience) are maxed out. They already have no disposable income left that could flow back into the economy. Their homes, if any, have lost the most value and their wages have been most stagnant or have receded since 2000.

The consumption of the wealthy just does not create enough demand to support our industries. This has been the lesson of the last few years, IMO, and every serious economist and business owner knows that... that's why they have not embraced Romney to the degree the Republican party has expected.

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
pueno

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:

My only comment about taxes was that "taxing the rich to kingdom come" would not produce the result that liberals think, and that it could backfire.

In our not-too-distant past, the wealthy were taxed at 80% or more. That qualifies as "to kingdom come"..... yet they survived OK. Not a one of 'em went hungry or wanted for anything.

techno900 wrote:

And I am OK with raising taxes, but we ALL should share in the burden.

Sooooo.......... you must then agree that Mitt's 14% is NOT an equal share when compared to your 28%.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still waiting for the righties to adjust to the reality-based beat down they got at the beginning of the month. I’m still waiting for the righties to demonstrate some understanding of math, although I doubt they will ever identify three things about the ACA that should be changed, and why. Ayn Rand bullshit does not suffice. Instead we get techno trying to put made up words from the corrupt talk radio industry into our mouths. (If you don’t think that Murdoch and Beck are corrupt, you are not paying attention.) Those words are right wing fiction, they don’t correspond to anything that progressives are saying. But the claim is made here by techno that we don’t care about the deficit, we propose to tax the rich to death, the ACA is a significant part of the deficit, yada, yada, yada. Nonsense, all of it.

First of all, Chandler and I have both said that the Bush tax cuts should expire for all of us. They were sold as temporary tax cuts because there was a surplus (generated by Clinton increases and hated by Republicans.) There isn’t a surplus. For me the tax reduction was about $3000 and I increased my charitable giving about the same. It wasn’t a significant economic stimulus for me, and I said then, and I say now, that paying down the deficit is more important than going out to eat twice more a month in one of the Bay area’s fine restaurants. That’s what we are talking about.

Liberals care about the deficit—but we can do math and know that the ACA at $1 trillion of $16 trillion in debt is not “significant” in techno’s use of the term—particularly if it slows the rate of increase of medical costs. I’m betting that an inefficient Federal government will be not be so inept that it cannot provide some balance to the greedy medical industry.

Third, doing the math on the deficit shows that the sources of the deficit are 1) the Bush tax cuts, which didn’t generate the mythical overall economic boom that increased overall revenues; 2) two wars financed with credit cards, or more realistically, inflation for our kids; 3) the downturn in the economy which cut revenues at the Federal level by 30%, but is gradually passing by. Easy to research the actual costs of these—and all are more than the ACA. It's curious that the true believers on the deficit can't seem to find the actual sources of the problem they worry so much about. Of course, that is consistent with what they did when last in power and they threw away the Clinton surpluses that were actually paying down the debt. Magical thinking, with a religious fervor that says tax cuts and increasing military spending will generate more tax revenue and cut the deficit. And you think magical underpants and Israelites settling the deserts in America was crazy!

Fourth, let’s talk actual math in tax increases, and see if it is “taxed to death”. The proposal on the table, which I support but think should go further, is to return to the Clinton era tax rates for the two highest brackets. That would be an increase from 36% to 39.5% for the top bracket, which if indexed would be only income more than $400,000. The next highest bracket would be increased from 33% to 36%, but only for that income over $250,000. That’s right, for the first $250,000 they pay the same rate that you and I do—and way more than Mitt did (quite apart from his sheltering money overseas and apparently taking advantage of a tax amnesty to get relief from some questionable accounting practices—the reputed reason he wouldn’t release his returns.)

That doesn’t fix the deficit, but it is a good start, and is the symbol that you need to get Democrats to put benefit cuts for Medicare and Social Security on the table. That’s what compromise is about—taking care of the needs of more people in the society, and recognizing the importance of symbols in stimulating an adult discussion about benefits. In fact, the middle class (not to mention the red states) are getting more benefits than they pay for, and most politicians are unwilling to speak the truth about that. From government pensions to Social Security, they take out more than they have put in. In the latter case because the assumptions about life expectancy and medical costs were more optimistic (in terms of fiscal cost) than reality has turned out to be. So I think that we need to have that discussion with the middle class—they need to either accept fewer benefits or pay more. The rich cannot pick up the tab for the middle class. But the fixes are modest—eliminating the ceiling on the social security tax, currently about $110,000, would eliminate about 72% of the projected shortfall. A fairly modest increase in retirement age, a means test, or lower cost of living increases, would fix the rest. Any of those is equitable. But we are dealing with Norquististas, not adults.

Finally, we need to look at capital gains. As anyone paying attention knows, both Clinton and Bush cut corporate taxes and capital gains taxes beyond what was sustainable or equitable. This essentially created the gambling and computer algorithm investment plans to try to bet the short term market fluctuations. While short term dividends are taxed at a higher rate than long-term gains, it is not enough to discourage really bad behavior in the financial markets that is nearly certain to create—and collapse—another bubble. Especially with algorithm based trading—we’ve already seen at least one scary bubble and collapse. So it is pretty simple—most Americans think that Mitt Romney should pay higher taxes than his secretary, not lower, and not the reduction in his own rates that he and Ryan proposed—and the voters rejected.

But don’t turn around and say liberals want to tax investments to death. Rather, liberals (or more accurately progressives—because we’re interested in reform of institutions, both government and corporate) want a tax code that steers investments into 1) enterprises that create jobs outside of the financial and audit sectors; b) enterprises that create good paying jobs with good economic multipliers; and c) discourages high risk, short term investment than is more like gambling than investment. That means that effective taxes those activities that create jobs and are sustainable over a longer period of time would remain largely untaxed. Would this be fair? I think so. My return from the Bush tax cuts was about $3000/year, and I am solidly middle class. But 80% of the benefits from the capital gains cuts went to the “wealthiest 5% of taxpayers, while 50% of all the capital gains have gone to the wealthiest 0.1% of taxpayers.” Source: http://20somethingfinance.com/bush-tax-cuts-romney-vs-obama-2012-2013-capital-gains-tax-rate/ Do the math righties, hundreds of billions went to the takers, euphemistically and inaccurately known as the job takers.
nw30

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're still fucked Confused
pueno

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:

What you mean "we," Kemosabe?

In my opinion, those who feel fucked are most often those who caused it.

You guys are supposed to be "the responsible party."

So show some responsibility -- do something constructive within the framework rather than sitting on the sidelines whining and crying and flinging feces.

(And collecting disability while complaining about others who collect government payments.)

Last edited by pueno on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:

How are those grapes tasting?
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
pueno: "No, liberals don't throw up their hands and blame Bush -- though his inept administration deserves 98% of the blame. Liberals resist the far-right rhetoric that said something like, "End social security and end Medicare because those are entitlements for the unworthy..."

If that is what you truely believe down deep in your heart

He doesn't. Look here how he contradicts himself with his we don't blame Bush but the blame is 98% Bush's (as head of his administration). And he knows no one has either proposed ending Medicare or SS or suggested that either is unearned. He's simply trolling, and you bit.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
We're still f...

Of that my lingering doubt is rapidly waning. I've now seen persuasive analyses of why the few remaining deniers -- by name (e.g., Buffett) and by their individual errors -- disagree, which collectively lead towards only one conclusion: you're right. I'm almost past Whether; the primary remaining questions for me are When (2013 or maybe as late as 2014, unless QE pumps the fiscal balloon so tightly it absolutely explodes as late as 2015), How Bad (the consensus is "worse than the Great Depression, but short of total fiscal Armageddon"; a few outliers expect total societal breakdown), and How Long (decades; that part's unanimous among the believers.) These guys have written a stack of persuasive books explaining how and why there is no other possible outcome besides global collapse of the Greenspan-Bernanke House of Cards. Their case is so convincing that I'm way past blindly succumbing to government and Wall Street cheerleading, historic market behavior, and Just Say No; for me, the burden of proof now lies on the deniers.

Look at this succinct condensation: "When U.S. business mildly contracted, the Fed printed play money (aka QE) to shore up the banks. It worked temporarily, but almost destroyed the world economy. The excess credit the Fed pumped into the economy inflated the stock market, triggering a speculative boom. The Fed's attempt to soak up the excess QE money halted the artificial boom, but it was too late; the balloon burst, and economies collapsed around the world".

That's how, in the 1960s, a young economist named Alan Greenspan described the Great Depression. One of Greenspan's more recent devoted followers was a younger economist and fellow Great Depression scholar named Benjamin Bernanke, who to this day follows Greenspan's example: state that QE is fiscal suicide but do it anyway to kick the resulting time bomb into the next administration. i.e., wind the spring tighter. The flaw THIS time is that that "next administration" is upon us: not one of these successful fiscal predictors believes global fiscal collapse can be averted past 2016.

Last edited by isobars on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 199, 200, 201  Next
Page 7 of 201

Jump to: