myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Pipe dream? Obamacare
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 199, 200, 201  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Pueno, you think the elite ruling class should be able to lie to us? Keep their "Cadillac Plans" when they said we'd all be subject to the law? Even the IRS union and most other unions are back peddling now. As Obama said, "you'll all be able to keep you plans if you wish". Apparently he lied. Most are being forced into the exchanges. I can only hope that when you're an old man scratching flees off your cancerous body at the "Obama" clinic that you appreciate that we tried to save you from yourself.

Amazing.....Just drink the koolaid man.
pueno

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
...when you're an old man scratching flees off your cancerous body at the "Obama" clinic that you appreciate that we tried to save you from yourself...

Laughing Laughing Laughing

The word is spelled F-L-E-A-S.

Hilarious.

And amazing.

Or maybe the other way 'round.

You clowns just keep giving and giving.

Thank you.
nw30

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh damn, another fu(k up, but the list will just get longer.
We're running out of shoes to drop.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Obamacare months behind in testing IT data security: government
By Sharon Begley

NEW YORK | Tue Aug 6, 2013 4:24pm EDT

(Reuters) - The federal government is months behind in testing data security for the main pillar of Obamacare: allowing Americans to buy health insurance on state exchanges due to open by October 1

The missed deadlines have pushed the government's decision on whether information technology security is up to snuff to exactly one day before that crucial date, the Department of Health and Human Services' inspector general said in a report.

As a result, experts say, the exchanges might open with security flaws or, possibly but less likely, be delayed.

"They've removed their margin for error," said Deven McGraw, director of the health privacy project at the non-profit Center for Democracy & Technology. "There is huge pressure to get (the exchanges) up and running on time, but if there is a security incident they are done. It would be a complete disaster from a PR viewpoint."

The most likely serious security breach would be identity theft, in which a hacker steals the social security numbers and other information people provide when signing up for insurance.

The inspector general's report, released without fanfare last Friday, found that the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services or CMS - the agency within HHS that is running Obamacare - had set a May 13 deadline for its contractor to deliver a plan to test the security of the crucial information technology component.

A test was to have been performed between June 3 and 7. But the delivery deadline slipped and the test - assessing firewalls and other security elements - is now set for this week and next.

"CMS," concludes the inspector general's report, "is working with very tight deadlines."

The delays mean that the ruling by CMS's chief information officer certifying the Obamacare IT system as secure will be pushed back from September 4 to September 30, a day before enrollment under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, the law that established Obamacare, is supposed to start.

"Several critical tasks remain to be completed in a short period of time," the report concluded.

Any additional delays could mean CMS would not have the information it needs to authorize use of the system by October 1, the inspector general found.

CMS spokesman Brian Cook said the agency is confident the Obamacare exchanges will open on time. "We are on schedule and will be ready for the marketplaces to open on October 1," he said.

IDENTITY THEFT?

When people try to enroll in health insurance starting on October 1 for insurance plans taking effect in 2014, their identity, income and other information they furnish with their application will be funneled through a federal "data hub."

The hub is like a traffic circle for data. It does not itself store information, but instead has digital spokes connecting to the Internal Revenue Service and other agencies that will allow it to verify information people provide. Opponents of Obamacare have repeatedly raised concerns that sensitive personal information could be stolen.

Before the hub or any other federal information system can open, a 2002 law requires that it obtain a "security authorization package," which is essentially the roadmap for keeping out hackers and preventing security breaches.

The first component of the package provides an overview of the system's security requirements and describes the controls the contractor has installed. It covers access controls and authentication, for instance, so that hackers cannot ping the hub and access IRS data.

A second component is a risk assessment that identifies vulnerabilities and determines the probability of a data breach.

The final component is an assessment by an independent testing organization that proper security controls have been implemented correctly, are operating as intended, and are meeting security requirements.

"CMS has extensive experience building and operating information technology systems that handle sensitive data" as a result of its experience with Medicare and Medicaid, the agency said in a statement.

Despite the tight IT deadlines Obamacare faces, the 2002 federal law on information security might provide an important loophole. The requirement that CMS's chief information officer make a "security authorization" decision does not mean the CIO has to conclude that the data hub is impregnable. He can decide that, despite identified security risks, the hub can operate.

Health privacy expert McGraw said "the worst case scenario" of not meeting the IT security deadline is that the government will not be able to bring the data hub online on October 1. In that case, people will be able to apply for insurance starting on that date but will not be told if they have been accepted or whether they are eligible for government subsidies to pay their premiums.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/08/06/us-usa-healthcare-security-idUSBRE9750YH20130806
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.gallup.com/poll/113980/Gallup-Daily-Obama-Job-Approval.aspx

Obama approval down to 41%
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that poll was conducted only via Obamaphones. Smile
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI:
I've had two friends pass away from cancer, my mother had breast cancer, friend's father has colon cancer and my windsurfing bud is a doctor who specializes in end of life, and no one died with any fleas under the Canadian socialized health care system nor has my friend (who's seen it all) shared any such experience.

Last edited by KGB-NP on Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
pueno

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
And that poll was conducted only via Obamaphones. Smile

That explains why you voted twice, Mikey.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reinerehlers wrote:
FYI:
I've had two friends pass away from cancer, my mother had breast cancer, friend's father has colon cancer and my windsurfing bud is a doctor who specializes in end of life, and no one died with any fleas under the Canadian socialized health care system nor has my friend (who's seen it all) shared any such experience.

Canada generally has a more gentler and kinder folks than America. But I have 2 Canadian friends who came here for surgery because it was better, and quicker. There is no better place for high end medical care than Southern California, and they are screwing that up now.
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI:
Canada also has an electronic medical information exchange system to help doctors to serve their patients better. There is no big fear here about the security of that information (in my opinion).

FYI:
Canadians are not forced into bankruptcy as a result of medical expenses.

FYI:
Canadians do not have to sell off their toys such as boats, dune buggies, motorcycles to pay for medical expenses as I so often saw when I was looking to buy my dune buggy.

I'm not judging, just sharing in case anyone should think so and find that they have the need to make some comment based on their assumptions.
techno900

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think government mandated health care can and does work in a few countries, but with limitations. Does what is given up justify the benefits? I guess that depends on who you are, your state of health and your contributions (or lack of) to the system.

I have nothing to back this up, but I speculate that the US has a substantially larger percentage of government dependent citizens who contribute little to the system as compared to Canada. 47% of US working age citizens in the US DON'T pay income tax, and I suspect that it's likely that most if not all of these 47% plus their children will get free or highly subsidized health care (insurance) with the new ACA.

Who picks up the tab? Is this a fair system?

For those over 65, including me, socialized medicine is working pretty well. However, I was required to pay into the system for the 41 years I worked as did the vast majority of citizens my age. Clearly, there are some that paid little or nothing into the system and are now reaping the benefits, but the number in this category are relatively small compared to today's working age society. So now, Medicare is facing a crisis as fewer contribute and more take from the system. This is THE issue with any socialized medical system and Obama care is going to sink the ship, assuming anyone can figure out how to implement it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 199, 200, 201  Next
Page 50 of 201

Jump to: