myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Pipe dream? Obamacare
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 186, 187, 188 ... 199, 200, 201  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
techno900

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keycocker said:
Quote:
We are already paying that money out techno in the current broken system.

But wasn't Obamacare sold based upon the strategy that there would be enough full paying customers to cover the subsidized customers? Conceptually, Obamacare looked good to many because it is based on shared responsibility with almost everyone in the insurance pool? However, that doesn't seem to be reality IMO.

It seems that there are still about 40 million without health insurance. Did that 7.5 million that signed up (the vast majority likely subsidized) really make a difference in the world of the uninsured? Very little at best.

Keycocker, your assumption is that we all share in the cost when the uninsured go to an emergency room, via state and local taxes and higher medical and insurance costs. I agree. Now that we have (THIS IS A GUESS) -5 million new subsidized health insurance customers and 2.5 million new full paying customers, do you think we are better off now under Obamacare? This also assumes that all of the 7.5 million are new to the insurance market, which is probably baloney.

There are still 40 million uninsured and I don't know if the 11 million illegals are included the 40 million (probably not). It simply doesn't look all that great to me.

Clearly, there are some that are in a much better situation than they were, but I would not get on the success bandwagon until we learn a lot more about the program, which is not likely to happen. The only number Obama can hype is that 8 million signed up, which in itself means little, especially if the majority already had insurance and are now being subsidized.
keycocker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see a lot more numbers than that widely published.
I can look them up and post them if you like.
I see that about the same number of Americans have signed up outside the exchanges like myself. They are unsubsidized.
That makes it 14 million, mostly not subsidized.
I go with the prevailing opinion that Ocare has not solved all our problems but is meeting its goals if that matters, and will never be considered a success by talk radio conservatives.
The standards set by the far right, like the 7million, wil always be changed to make O "look bad". Or they will invent numbers like 6million subsidized to explain away any success small or large.

It dont care for big gov. programs like this but the lies told by the radio guys about this really offend me.
Have you ever heard about the polls showing support for the ACA is twice as great as support for Obamacare? We are being lied to nonstop and conservatives are buying it hook line and sinker
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"But wasn't Obamacare sold based upon the strategy that there would be enough full paying customers to cover the subsidized customers?"

Things are getting twisted here. There are many reasons why the ACA was passed into law. One very important reason was to bring more economical health insurance pricing to folks that weren't able to obtain group plan type pricing from their employer. Another important reason was to guarantee health insurance to folks with a pre-existing health condition. This is where you might have missed a turn. It was promoted that mandated participation would cover the costs for folks with a pre-existing condition. Also, it would ensure that more young folks would buy health insurance. It broadens the base to keep pricing low overall.

The issue of subsidizing low income workers was a way to help working folks, particularly those with families, to buy health insurance. This kind of assistance helps make the cost of insurance more reasonable for lower income folks trying to get ahead. For those living in poverty, there's Medicare. When you think about it, it makes sense. And, as we all know full well, healthcare has nothing to do with one's financial status. With or without the ACA or Medicare, someone has to pay for those that don't have health insurance.

Regarding the enrollment process and the numbers, it must be remembered that the ACA is being phased-in over time. The penalties for not buying health insurance are quite low up front. I would bet that 3-4 years from now, you will have more folks buying health insurance and fewer folks uninsured. Overnight miracles are a fantasy, so why do you get so anxious and worked up about the numbers right now. If I were you, I would take a break from the Fox News world, and free yourself from the forced fed anti-ACA BS coming from the right. When you think about, they've got nothing to offer that can be viewed as healthcare reform if the ACA was repealed.
techno900

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sw, key,

WE ALL KNOW THE POSITIVES of Obamacare, my issue is the cost and sustainability over time without sacrificing quality of care and access to the best doctors . There are a huge number of issues that have yet to be resolved or even identified, so I will remain skeptical for some time.

Many of the "lies" from the right and or talk radio aren't really lies. They are biased/politicized projections/guesses of what may be in store for us down the road. Many may prove to be true, many may not.

I just wish the "transparency" promise/pledge from Obama had just a little merit to it. In the mean time, we just have to keep guessing as to the facts of the rollout.
keycocker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When a projection, guess, or theory is taken as fact by the listeners and widely repeated as such, it is a lie.

How often do you hear the fake press do the same as the "leader in fake news the Comedy Channel" when they turn to the audience and say
" Remember. We just make this stuff up."?
Never.
Talk Radio Conservatives believe a long line of stuff they heard on the fake press and often have no clue that it is untrue.
The whole birther thing was just a theory that turned out false, right?
And conservatives all know that ?

If a politicized projection is made by Obama and turns out not to work out, that will be called a lie until the end of time. And a lack of transparency.
Such statements made in the fake press are not considered lies.
Right?
Note that I am not defending Obama, I am regretting the acceptance of the fake media by conservatives as fact and the double standards of truth.
This has left many conservatives confused, ineffective, and lost in a world they do not understand.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"WE ALL KNOW THE POSITIVES of Obamacare, my issue is the cost and sustainability over time without sacrificing quality of care and access to the best doctors . There are a huge number of issues that have yet to be resolved or even identified, so I will remain skeptical for some time.

Many of the "lies" from the right and or talk radio aren't really lies. They are biased/politicized projections/guesses of what may be in store for us down the road. Many may prove to be true, many may not."

What do you think about right wing folks that are whining all the time and are consistently focused on all the bad things that can happen? It's a perpetual negativity game.

Why do you gravitate and bond with these folks and their unseemly messages? Were they really concerned at all about all the problems with health care and its delivery before the ACA? Did they really want healthcare reform?

I guess it' fair to ask you, do you think that we needed to have healthcare reform? Aside from that, and given the fact that it has now been reformed and favors private health insurance companies and healthcare providers, do you think that the ACA should be repealed or changed?
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
sw, key,

WE ALL KNOW THE POSITIVES of Obamacare

Many of the "lies" from the right and or talk radio aren't really lies. They are biased/politicized projections/guesses of what may be in store for us down the road.

I don't even want to KNOW what those comments refer to, considering at whom you aimed them. I can think of NO positives of Obamacare that could not have been solved -- most already were in reality or on paper -- for a few trillion dollars less.

And PLEASE dear God don't tell me someone is implying Obama/Biden/Sebelius/Reid/Schumer/et.al. did not LIE about keeping our own plans and doctors. They were forcefully warned by federal government agencies -- as documented in the Federal Register years ago and cited here repeatedly -- that that was untrue long before Obama read that lie off the teleprompter 28 times AFTER it was debated among his staff until the word came down from on high to STFU and say it anyway. That's a lie by any standard, and it got the ACA passed.

Here are a few hundred more well-documented such cases:
http://danfromsquirrelhill.wordpress.com/2013/08/15/obama-252/
nw30

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keycocker wrote:
When a projection, guess, or theory is taken as fact by the listeners and widely repeated as such, it is a lie.

Impossible, purely by the meaning of the word "projection", you have no proof of the "projection" until the maturity of the subject in question is reached. Only then will you know if the projection is correct or not. Which in itself has nothing to do with a lie, which can only be a deliberate misrepresentation of a fact,,,,,, and a fact cannot be a "projection".
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NW30, there's a big difference between fiction and non-fiction.

Much coming from the right these days is total fiction, and the theme is negativity.
nw30

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beside the point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 186, 187, 188 ... 199, 200, 201  Next
Page 187 of 201

Jump to: