myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Pipe dream? Obamacare
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 182, 183, 184 ... 199, 200, 201  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac, you must have missed the 1980's. The economy was booming and jobs plentiful. I was in college in the late 70's and thought I'd be on welfare after graduating. Thanks to the Reagan boom, I actually got a job. Amazing.

How can you compare this bungling fool Obama with Reagan? There are few jobs for the middle class after 5 years of printing money and shovel ready promises. If you aren't working as a barista today, you are living at home with Mom and Dad after college.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that Bard is on the fact-free diet today. What parts of Reagan do you miss the most?

Quote:
Unemployment soared after Reagan’s 1981 tax cuts. Unemployment jumped to 10.8 percent after Reagan enacted his much-touted tax cut, and it took years for the rate to get back down to its previous level. Meanwhile, income inequality exploded. Despite the myth that Reagan presided over an era of unmatched economic boom for all Americans, Reagan disproportionately taxed the poor and middle class, but the economic growth of the 1980′s did little help them. “Since 1980, median household income has risen only 30 percent, adjusted for inflation, while average incomes at the top have tripled or quadrupled,” the New York Times’ David Leonhardt noted.

or maybe my favorite, selling arms to Contras:

Quote:
Reagan illegally funneled weapons to Iran. Reagan and other senior U.S. officials secretly sold arms to officials in Iran, which was subject to a an arms embargo at the time, in exchange for American hostages. Some funds from the illegal arms sales also went to fund anti-Communist rebels in Nicaragua — something Congress had already prohibited the administration from doing. When the deals went public, the Iran-Contra Affair, as it came to be know, was an enormous political scandal that forced several senior administration officials to resign.

or perhaps his efforts to end Aparheid?

Quote:
Reagan vetoed a comprehensive anti-Apartheid act. which placed sanctions on South Africa and cut off all American trade with the country. Reagan’s veto was overridden by the Republican-controlled Senate. Reagan responded by saying “I deeply regret that Congress has seen fit to override my veto,” saying that the law “will not solve the serious problems that plague that country.”

or setting us up for future wars in the Middle East:

Quote:
Reagan helped create the Taliban and Osama Bin Laden. Reagan fought a proxy war with the Soviet Union by training, arming, equipping, and funding Islamist mujahidin fighters in Afghanistan. Reagan funneled billions of dollars, along with top-secret intelligence and sophisticated weaponry to these fighters through the Pakistani intelligence service. The Talbian and Osama Bin Laden — a prominent mujahidin commander — emerged from these mujahidin groups Reagan helped create, and U.S. policy towards Pakistan remains strained because of the intelligence services’ close relations to these fighters. In fact, Reagan’s decision to continue the proxy war after the Soviets werehttp://thinkprogress.org/politics/2011/02/05/142288/reagan-centennial/
willing to retreat played a direct role in Bin Laden’s ascendancy.

Well, at least he wasn't a Muslim.
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It amuses me to hear the mythical greatness of Ronnie being espoused by those who revere his god like governance under which we as a nation prospered and grew at the highest and greatest rate in history. Oh, how they wish they could return to those halcyon days of old.

The cult of Ronnie. Worshiping the questionable policies of the deceased does not assist in resolving the current issues facing our Nation.

For those asserting that Obama has done nothing to rouse the economy from the Great Recession (which he did not cause) - What measures do you or your idols propose to stimulate economic growth?
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You blame the beginning of Reagan's administration after Reagan, not Carter? Wow, where's the Koolaid? Of course by admitting the 1st 5 years of Reagan's admin were Reagan's fault, I assume you'll lay the blame on Obama's 1st 5 on Obama......Right? I thought not. Embarassed

More than likely the last 4 years of each mans administration would tell the tale.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fact free, directly from the bubble.
nw30

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever you do, don't pay any attention to what I last posted.
It will just go away along with the pages,,,,,,,,,,,, it never happened.
LOL!
keycocker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for showing us the extant of the depression .NW30.
I thought it was much worse than that.
nw30

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To each their own acceptance of a shitty future.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900,

Can't say that I disagree with your posted quote from the Brooking Institute. Needless to say though, the US is still growing, even if it is at somewhat of a lesser rate than in the past. Also, I'm of a mind that we need to stimulate our economy in ways that will promote innovation and create new age jobs for America's future. We as a nation need to invest, especially at a time when interest rates are so low. I think that where we differ is that you, like most Republicans, are overly consumed by our deficit and debt. I do not believe that we can cut our way to success. Wholesale cuts won't create jobs, stimulate innovation, build our infrastructure or improve our education system. We need to take chances to grow and invigorate America in an increasing global environment.

And, like I pointed out earlier, we need immigration reform. We need to bring illegal immigrants into our economy in a way that captures their productivity and ultimately includes their tax contributions.

While you probably don't agree with me in my vision, I challenge you to show me how the Republicans have a chance in hell to positively change things for the better. I don't think that they have the vision or the ideas. We can't simply go back to the past, and we can't cut our way to new growth and potential. I'd like you to prove me wrong. What do the Republicans really have to offer? A continuation of empty promises just won't cut it.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NW30, did you read some of the commentary following that IJReview article? The way that I see it, the article was crafted for those folks, and not for me. Real hard facts and a practical view? I don't think so.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 182, 183, 184 ... 199, 200, 201  Next
Page 183 of 201

Jump to: