myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Pipe dream? Obamacare
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 179, 180, 181 ... 199, 200, 201  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nw30

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Says a lot.
But we still don't know how many have actually paid for anything, or how many that have signed up, didn't have any insurance before. My guess is that most of the new sign ups are people who have previously lost their insurance due to Obamacare, for a net gain of around 1 million.
pueno

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nitwit30 wrote:
Says a lot.
But we still don't know haw many have actually paid for anything, or how many that have signed up, didn't have any insurance before. My guess is that most of the new sign ups are people who have previously lost their insurance due to Obamacare, for a net gain of around 1 million.

Hey, NitWit, you're slippin'..... you missed most of the mindless rabid right "O-care's failing" talking points.

You gotta get with the program.

Let me help you:

How many have paid?
The statistics are full of deadbeats
Most of them were already insured
'Young invincibles' aren't signing up
More people got cancellations than signed up
The White House is 'cooking the books'

Laughing Laughing Laughing
coboardhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
coboardhead wrote:
What's false about what I wrote?

And, Paul Ryan, today called for "repeal" of the ACA not "reform"...his own words! The Republicans controlled the House of Representatives, where most domestic policy bills are drafted, for 12 years from the mid-nineties until 2007. Six years of that with a Republican President. Yet, can anyone show me a health care plan (or insurance reform plan) that was sponsored by that party during all that time? (The Heritage plan...basically the ACA was never drafted by Congress...so that doesn't count!)

Do you seriously think that when PR says "repeal", what he really wants is to go back to the way is was without any kind of reform?
Do you really think that the GOP was totally satisfied with the way it used to be?
That's the flaw in what you are insinuating, as well as what BHO was with his end zone dance today. It's a false premise.

All I know is that the Republican's only real legislation affecting healthcare while they had control of Congress and the Presidency was to draft and sign Medicare Part D which was kissing senior's and pharma's butts and to draft legislation that drastically cut reimbursements to providers...cuts that have been delayed for what 16 years?

Stellar record! Look, I voted Republican until 2004. They lost my confidence, and my vote, because they sat on their hands for a decade while health care costs grew by a pace that doubled that of inflation. Go team!
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me one click to find this 181-page bill, just one of many GOP healthcare plans and bills put forth under Obama.
http://rsc.scalise.house.gov/solutions/rsc-betterway.htm

You guys just aren't being honest.
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Expands access to Health Savings Accounts (HSAs), increasing the amount of pre-tax dollars individuals can deposit into portable savings accounts to be used for health care expenses."

Frankly, I'm all for the above idea. In fact, I've been using an HSA for a number of years, and it works extremely well.

Why couldn't the Republicans enact such a reason change in the last 4 years? I guess it's the difference between BS and getting things done.
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NW30, you're dodging. What does that say?
pointster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Republicans will continue to have success with their base by running against "Obamacare". But, now that millions of people have coverage through expanded Medicaid and further millions are receiving subsidies to pay for health insurance, and all insured no longer have to worry about annual or lifetime caps, Republicans will find it nearly impossible to dismantle the ACA.

Obama, Reid and Pelosi have expended a huge amount of political capital on increasing the availability of affordable health insurance to the American people. Just as the Democratic party experienced setbacks due to the passage of the 1964 Civil Rights bill, so the Democratic Party has and will experience setbacks due to passage of the ACA. However, just as today very few people are overtly racist, in time, very few people will be against the notion that affordable healthcare should be available to all. Indeed, at some point, Republicans will feel it is politically advantageous to initiate an expansion of coverage, as they did with Medicare Part D.
techno900

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As time passes, we learn more and more, and the irony is enough to choke an elephant:

Quote:
By CONNIE CASS
The Associated Press
WASHINGTON —

Americans thinking about buying health insurance on their own later this year, or maybe switching to a different insurer, are probably out of luck. The policies are going off the market as a little-noticed consequence of President Barack Obama's health care overhaul.

With limited exceptions, insurance companies have stopped selling until next year the sorts of individual plans that used to be available year-round. That locks out many of the young and healthy as well as the sick and injured, even those who can afford to buy without government subsidies.

"Now they're stuck," said Bonnie Milani, an independent insurance broker in Los Angeles, who says she warned her customers last year that the change was coming. "It just closes everything down."

My wife retired a little over a year ago and is on COBRA until July. Medicare is another year away. Will she have to go uninsured for a year because of Obamacare? Where was the warning from the government?
pueno

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
As time passes, we learn more and more, and the irony is enough to choke an elephant:

And the rest of the article says.....

Quote:

The next chance to sign up comes in November, when enrollment for 2015 begins in government-run insurance marketplaces.

Companies are following that schedule even for the plans they sell outside the federal and state exchanges.

The health-care law allows insurers to keep selling all year. But it also creates the conditions prompting them to stop.

The law bars insurers from rejecting customers because of poor health. The companies say that makes it too risky to sell to individuals year-round.

“If you didn’t have an open-enrollment period, you would have people who would potentially enroll when they get sick and dis-enroll when they get better,” said Chris Stenrud, spokesman for Kaiser Permanente.

So... if this is a problem, then maybe lawmakers will fine-tune it next year.

But of course, those opposed to O-care and all things Obama, want to trash the whole program because it has a wrinkle.

"...irony is enough to choke an elephant."

What's ironic is that the "elephant" that's choking is the GOP -- so, you were 100% right. It IS ironic enough to choke an elephant. And the elephant is choking.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900,

If COBRA coverage is the best choice, the first thing that pops into my mind is to inquire whether COBRA coverage is extendable at a different rate to get her to the Fall enrollment period.

No offense, but I have to wonder what your wife was thinking knowing that she would be falling off the cliff in July. From the choices that I had when I retired over 9 years ago, COBRA insurance coverage was quite expensive. A lot more than what Raytheon was offering me. If I was in such a situation, it makes sense to have considered buying a new insurance policy for 2014 through the NC state exchange. OK, maybe NC was one of those states that give the federal government the finger. Yet, in the end, there still were the choices available on the federal insurance exchange.

What were your wife's thoughts about her predicament?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 179, 180, 181 ... 199, 200, 201  Next
Page 180 of 201

Jump to: