myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Pipe dream? Obamacare
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 177, 178, 179 ... 199, 200, 201  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some numbers, even if arguable, that tell a different story than what most ACA haters are spouting.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/31/opinion/kohn-obamcare-signup/index.html?hpt=hp_bn7
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"My wife has prepared our income taxes for over 40 years. She has an MBA, is extremely organized, and has directed highly technical government contracts running into the tens of billions, but it still takes her three to four long days just to get the paperwork ready for the big corporate accounting firm that actually prepares our tax return each year. The package is so big it cost $60 to overnight them via FedEx."

The above is total BS. Two retired people, one of which hasn't had a job in 20+ years? Why is it that I can do my federal tax return in a handful of hours one morning? It just amazes me that some folks want to paint a picture that says doing your taxes is an out of control nightmare. Sure, if you're running a business with a payroll, invest heavily in the stock market, and maintain an array of investment and rental properties, I can see the need to hire an accountant or a CPA to best manage your tax strategies and goals.

Is there something that isobars isn't telling us?
coboardhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chandler, I don't get it either. My wife and I have two businesses with employees (no corporations...that can get messy). In the past, it would take a couple long evenings to prepare for the package for the accountant. Last year, I tried Turbo tax instead of the accountant and was amazed how quickly I could do the taxes. I will admit, I am pretty conservative about tax write-offs and deductions so I do not look at every angle. Easier to take on little extra work than make sure I haven't given anything away. I could spend days saving hundreds or making thousands!

I agree with Boggsman. No way "Obamacare" (Thanks Windoggie) will be appealed.

Responsible business types (mrgybe) have a reason to be dismayed with the ability of the Fed government to manage the aspects of health care that are theirs, but that does not mean repeal is an option. Election year grandstanding.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

56% of the American people don't like the law. They must be stupid.

Currently the law only covers 2 million who used to be uninsured. The vast majority of them are subsidized. The other 5 million had coverage before, and 75% of them are paying more today.

When they were selling the law, they said 50 million people were uninsured. That means that there are probably 48 million who are still not insured. Good job Obama!

Concierge care is on the rise for the rich, while many doctors and hospitals are refusing to see Medicare and Obama care patients. Wait times for appointments have increased.

So far it's hard to see this as a success. When the American public puts their thumbs up, I'll believe it.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevenbard

Regardless of the true success of the law, which will be unknown for some time, the idea that it can be out and out repealed is a fantasy, in my opinion. It would be extremely difficult to return to the old system where sick, but not poor, will again be unable to obtain insurance. Basically, that is the guts of the ACA. About as feasible as eliminating Medicare!
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Americans waste 7 BILLION hours a year doing taxes. That puts our effort below average, since we file jointly.

That's insane. With the Fair Tax, the total time spent filing personal income taxes would be ... umm ... ZERO.

My wife says the biggest single hassle was calculating the deduction WA residents get for retail goods sales taxes we paid. The IRS look-up chart gives us $1,400; my wife clearly documented over $6,000. That difference put a grand in our pocket after taxes. Not a bad day's after-taxes pay for a retired person.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
Stevenbard

Regardless of the true success of the law, which will be unknown for some time, the idea that it can be out and out repealed is a fantasy, in my opinion. It would be extremely difficult to return to the old system where sick, but not poor, will again be unable to obtain insurance. Basically, that is the guts of the ACA. About as feasible as eliminating Medicare!

CB, I don't even think John Birch would want to see the whole thing trashed. I've always said that there should be hundreds of clinics within local hospitals for the poor. 10 to a room??? New doctors and nurses, with lower tech gear. (Like everyone in Hawaii gets) Good healthy budget coverage. The rest of us working stiffs could get basic to gold coverage based on our needs.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
coboardhead wrote:
Stevenbard

CB, I don't even think John Birch would want to see the whole thing trashed. I've always said that there should be hundreds of clinics within local hospitals for the poor. 10 to a room??? New doctors and nurses, with lower tech gear. (Like everyone in Hawaii gets) Good healthy budget coverage. The rest of us working stiffs could get basic to gold coverage based on our needs.

SB

I agree with a two tier system. But, totally politically impossible. So, we have a system that TRIES to get more to engage. Probably, the only feasible way to wean ourselves from the dysfunctional system we had.
nw30

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
Stevenbard

Who the hell would want that, "return to the old system", nobody that I know of would ever want that, there is no disagreement that the health insurance system needs to be fixed, period. And when BHO was out there today doing his end zone dance, he was railing about the GOP not wanting everybody to have health insurance. He was trying to claim the same thing you are, which is totally false on all accounts.
Repeal may not be the proper word, it's more like reform, Obamacare will need to be seriously reformed, SERIOUSLY REFORMED!
A name change would be a great start, "Obamacare" sucks, it denotes failure, and "ACA" might work if it was to really mean what it says, so far it doesn't even come close.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's false about what I wrote?

And, Paul Ryan, today called for "repeal" of the ACA not "reform"...his own words! The Republicans controlled the House of Representatives, where most domestic policy bills are drafted, for 12 years from the mid-nineties until 2007. Six years of that with a Republican President. Yet, can anyone show me a health care plan (or insurance reform plan) that was sponsored by that party during all that time? (The Heritage plan...basically the ACA was never drafted by Congress...so that doesn't count!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 177, 178, 179 ... 199, 200, 201  Next
Page 178 of 201

Jump to: