myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Pipe dream? Obamacare
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 168, 169, 170 ... 199, 200, 201  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chandler, as the article stated, if you have insurance, the hospital you are taken to, wants to keep you. If you don't have insurance they take you to the trauma hospitals who often specialize in severe trauma, because they also happen to be the hospitals of last resort.

IOW, they do not put your best interest at heart when you have a high likely hood of paying them. THEY WANT YOUR MONEY, AND THEY WANT IT NOW....What a surprise.
keycocker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bard could not be more right .
This is why health reform is needed so badly .maybe not ACA but something for sure.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hospitals are a business. There's little doubt about that, but I have to ask, would we want it to be any different?

One wonders though, are county regional hospitals better equipped because of government money and influence? If so, and the article is right, that means that government run hospitals offer better care. That would be ironic, wouldn't it.
techno900

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler said:
Quote:
One wonders though, are county regional hospitals better equipped because of government money and influence? If so, and the article is right, that means that government run hospitals offer better care. That would be ironic, wouldn't it.

They are better at dealing with trauma because they get a lot more practice with those types of cases, not because they are better equipped. If you go to a level one trauma center, and your problem is not life threating, be prepared for slow, slow service and not the best care because all of the serious trauma cases will have the priority. If I was broken to pieces in an major auto accident, I would go to one. If I had a broken arm, I would not. "Better care" in a trauma center is likely only if you are in a life and death situation.

Government money (taxes) do help because a significant portion of their emergency room services are for non paying customers.
keycocker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Techno has pointed out another reason health care reform was so bady needed. Taxpayers pay for a lot of health care for the uninsured? You can now stay uninsured as long as you pay yearly for that free care in fines.

When I take out elements of the ACA so I can understand them, I see why conservatives crafted this reform and made in work in Mass.
J64TWB

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend who is an anesthesiologist at Cook County Hospital here in Chicago. He says it is top notch. Problem is, there are 5 million people and 300 Doctors and 400 residents. It is a teaching hospital as well. My experience there was wait 7 hours in line to see someone who could direct you to the next line where you would wait for another 6 hours go through more red tape. If you finally were lucky you would be directed to the appropriate line or specialty where you would come back and wait some more and go through more red tape. I skipped the line because of my friend but wouldn't it be wonderful if this was Canada and all hospitals were free and no wait?

Cook County Hospital is part of one of the largest hospital facilities in the world including Rush Med, University of Chicago and labs, etc. One of the best level one trauma centers in the country as in TV show "ER".

World class surgeons but a true pain in the ass unless you have a bullet in your gut.

I would rather do without social security, medicare, medicaid, unemployment and possibly some others just to have access to free top notch medical care.

If the government is about keeping us safe, clean water, food, safe airlines etc., I think nothing is more important than our health. It shouldn't be about who is rich enough to afford it.
nw30

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frederick23 wrote:

I would rather do without social security, medicare, medicaid, unemployment and possibly some others just to have access to free top notch medical care.

Free, FREE, FREE!?!
Nothing will ever be free, not in your wildest dreams, we all pay in some way or another.
There is no such thing as free as long as the government is involved, never has been, never will be.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
frederick23 wrote:

Free, FREE, FREE!?!
Nothing will ever be free, not in your wildest dreams, we all pay in some way or another.
There is no such thing as free as long as the government is involved, never has been, never will be.

You couldn't be more right on the whole. Every once in a while you'll find an altruistic doctor, but he eventually gets squashed by the system and red tape. There is no clear answer, and that is why the free market system worked the best.
keycocker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean the system we had up til now worked very well?
I have not heard anyone say that until now.
Maybe I misunderstood.
Weren't we 26th in the world in healthcare and a proud no.1 in costs?
Third world countries were better at a tenth the per capita health cost.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure KC, but we were the country that led the world in most medical advancements throughout the 20th century. We did a great job until globalization, regulations, and greed destroyed our middle class. My kids were born in state of the art hospitals that are the envy of the world. Cedars Sinai and UCLA. From what I understand, Cedars will not be working within the ACA. This may be a rumor, but it's in the news. And, my personal physician will not be accepting new patients. I wonder why.

Who will lead the world once we go to a single payer system? I hope the ACA works, but I'm not foolish enough to bet on it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 168, 169, 170 ... 199, 200, 201  Next
Page 169 of 201

Jump to: