myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Easiest-no hassle windsurfing mobile?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

victor wrote:
are you saying you take two vehicles to haul your gear?

Not exactly. One for his gear, one for his ego. Very Happy

Sorry, Lee, and I know that's the pot calling the kettle African-American, but I couldn't pass it up.

Mike \m/

Last edited by isobars on Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
victor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

too bad we don't have pictures of hans' '75 civic. he made some interesting modifications.
rich1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using full size Volvo wagons to carry my gear since '92. I'm currently driving a '97 960. They get about 30mpg average, and are very nice and comfy to drive. Everything goes inside, but once there's 2 boards in there there's no room for passengers.

IMO if you need racks, it's no good. I have racks on mine, but that's for the bikes. All the WS gear lives inside. I admit, having rented Mini Vans, Vans, and Explorers on various trips to Maui, they all work better for WS than my wagon, but none are as good as the Volvo as an everyday driver.
nw30

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windoggie wrote:
Hey Chandler, look what we just got. Its not going to replace the GMC for my short runs to Berkeley Marina or Pt Isabel, but we plan on using it for longer trips. Besides, its really fun to drive. (its an 86, in really good condition...well taken care of)

I hope you have better luck with that than most owners I've known.
They don't call them "Willfailyas" for nothin'. Confused
Be careful on the long uphills.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windoggie,

Somehow I totally missed your post on the Vanagon. It's the same color as the 87 that I had, but mine was the GL version sans the camper features and the pop-top. Looks to be in great condition overall.

If I was to offer some advice, I would suggest keeping a eye out for leaking coolant around the head seals. Also, I found that it was sometimes hard to pass the bi-yearly smog requirement. Often it is related to the catalytic converter needing replacement.

Enjoy that baby, and treat her good. Lastly, use Mobil 1 synthetic oil. You won't regret it.
Epenrose

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice choice.

Piece of advice, when the motor starts to act up and need $$'s just dump and convert over to Subaru engine.

Very easy conversion, had mine in 5 years and a dream, multiple 2200 mile road trips and with no roof box over 20 MPG, pretty amazing considering the aerodynamics or lack of them I should say.

Enjoy.
gerritt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a converted Ford 150 cargo van for all the toys. It gets about 19 mpg, which isn't bad. It keeps my stuff (3 windsurf boards and a surfboard + rigs from 3.2 to 5.Cool in one place and ready to go at all times, which is key to staying on the water. I only use it to windsurf and have a "commuter" Prius for everyday. I've used the Prius for day trips down the coast when gas goes up, but prefer the van. Vans are not cool, just practical. I bought mine used with just under 80K miles on it in 1998. It now has 170K on it and is still running strong. At 10K out the door, I consider it one of my best investments. My wife likes it because the garage is clear of gear and I can haul stuff when necessary. Beware: everyone who wants to move will suddenly become your friend once they learn you have a van.

The coolest windsurfing/surfing vehicles, I've ever seen are the carts towed behind bikes. If you live close to sailing/surfing this is the way to go. Unlimited mileage, cart always ready, zero maintenance.

Show us your carts and/or trailers!!!
windoggi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks chandler. It's a sweet ride and it seems to have been pretty well cared for. Just driving it changes your attitude...
I'll take your advice on the synthetic. The heads and tranny/clutch were done just a few thousand miles before we bought it. Feels smooth and relatively powerful. The body and interior are top notch. Good buy for 6,000. About half of what I've seen them going for in that condition. They didn't need the money...just wanted it to go to a good home. Lucky us.

Epenrose

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got a great deal for 6K.

I'd only use synthetic oil if you are using every day or every other day. Delo 400 is a heavy duty oil and will offer better protection on the original engine which unfortunately had a lot of issue.

best of luck.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, $6K is a sweet deal for such a classic. I found that the Vanagon could really do it all, but having the right attitude really made it a special ride. When driving by one today, I still feel the bond.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: