myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Easiest-no hassle windsurfing mobile?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kellygeygan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCDORO wrote:
Kellygeygan: You own the VW stationwagon with the Turbo Diesel?
VW is apparently going to bring that engine to the US in some other platforms..Wouldn't it be nice in a VW van...?

It is a Passat sedan with the 1.9 Turbo Diesel and 5 speed, 2500 rpm is 75 mph....open the trunk lid and fold down the rear seats and you can easily fit a 12.0 and 11.0 sail between the front seats without disturbing the passenger...

There are lots of Turbo Diesel vans available...I see them everywhere in Asia.
Could it be that we dont control our own Government?
coachg

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty of “ultimate” windsurf vehicles out there. However, I’m not sure anything that gets less than 20 mph would be a very good commute vehicle unless you had a very short commute or lots of money for gas.

I think for commuting & practicality it’s hard to beat a mini-van. Just get a roof rocket for storing all your smelly stuff and make sure the rocket is thin so you can still fit in parking garages.

Other options to consider if you don’t have to carry a lot of gear is the VW Jetta Wagon TDI. It is a tubo diesel that gets around 30 mph in town and 50 on the highway. The Prius is also a good option as it gets over 60 mph around town and over 50 on the highway. Just get one with the solar tilt roof so you can vent the smelly air while the interior fan runs off of solar power.

Coachg
keycocker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Chrysler vans get 20 MPG. We fit 5 boards, seven sails, 5 masts,three booms,et al. all the time.
With only one of the two seats in back folded down. It is handy to have a back seat even when changing. We don't keep smelly wetsuits in there. They join us in the shower at the end of day and go back in van after they dry.
I find that we sail more often when all you need to do is jump in and go.
Used ones are modest priced.
damel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is unreal how efficient mini vans are at doing shit. They get great gas mileage, stacking gear on the floor starts at your feet while it is at shoulder level in most cars, big doors the list goes on.

Living in San Francisco where fitting in small parking spots is a big perk I use a Toyota Rav4 with a Thule box and bars that are long enough to fit a SUP board next to the Thule. If I could do it again I would get a wagon like the Subaru Outback because the Rav+the Thule is to tall to fit in some parking garages.

The other reason I use a Thule box is so I can leave gear in it overnight and park on the street without the fear of someone breaking into my car. Another side perk that came with it is that wet sails stay out of the car.

windward1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Dodge Grand Caravan, 2005, now with almost 200,000 miles on it can fit a 10'10" SUP/Sailboard inside. It could also go on top, but how about that? Inside! It has the 'stow and go' feature, so take the gear out and seven passengers can get in. Comfortably. Plus I do not need to find places to store the seats in the garage or wherever. They are under the floor of the van.

My 2005 does not have a console of any sort between the seats. It allows the nose of the board to go to the dash. I do not know if the later models come with that console removeable.

Windward1
nw30

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:
superkraut wrote:
who needs roof racks??

I swear that's my old board! An SIC F-18 I bought from PonoBill on Maui, can't imagine that paint job was replicated?

It sure does look like his board, but I heard it took a number of hits and started taking on some serious water.
If it is, its had some work done on it, or it's an old pic.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Easiest-no hassle windsurfing mobile? Reply with quote

poussin wrote:
So what's the ultimate, no hassle, windsurfing mobile?

I'm talking everyday vehicle you drive to work, and then go windsurfing
(assuming that you do work). Something that you can avoid getting that all to familiar WS'ing stench to travel along with you wherever you go.

Something somewhat practical too.

Let's hear your solutions and ideas.

And, Happy Thanksgiving y'all.

G

Cool

It really depends on how much gear you have and what your gear safety requirements are. Minivans are really great b/c they get decent gas milage, can fit all your gear inside, and they still have room for passengers. I think the Grand Caravans and the Honda Odyssey are the longest minivans. I have a Grand Caravan and can fit boards behind the passenger seat... I can even have a single chair behind the drivers seat next to the board rack. If you really want to keep stench out of the vehicle, than a roof is best for all the wet stuff. I have a fairly low profile Packasport box on top of my van and have no trouble driving into most parking garages.

Best thing about a van is that everything stays inside and I never have to worry about theft.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
victor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe not the perfect vehicle but i can cram two boards, 4 sails, 3 masts, two booms and accompanying odds and ends INSIDE my pt cruiser and still have room for a passenger in the back seat behind the driver's seat.

i thought i was doing pretty well until i saw a guy doing the same, minus the passenger, with a mini cooper. now that the mini cooper is no longer quite as mini you could probably do better.

before the cruiser i use a full size pickup without a camper shell. never had anything stolen. in fact, twice people put equipment they found laying around the launch site in it while i was out sailing. almost ended up with a nice carbon boom until the next day when the rightful owner asked around the beach if someone had seen one.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some guy drove a rental PT Cruiser to Punta San Carlos one year... definitely gives it a thumbs up from me!

victor wrote:
maybe not the perfect vehicle but i can cram two boards, 4 sails, 3 masts, two booms and accompanying odds and ends INSIDE my pt cruiser and still have room for a passenger in the back seat behind the driver's seat.

i thought i was doing pretty well until i saw a guy doing the same, minus the passenger, with a mini cooper. now that the mini cooper is no longer quite as mini you could probably do better.

before the cruiser i use a full size pickup without a camper shell. never had anything stolen. in fact, twice people put equipment they found laying around the launch site in it while i was out sailing. almost ended up with a nice carbon boom until the next day when the rightful owner asked around the beach if someone had seen one.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
superkraut

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:
superkraut wrote:
who needs roof racks??

I swear that's my old board! An SIC F-18 I bought from PonoBill on Maui, can't imagine that paint job was replicated?

hey beaglebuddy: that surely must be your old board, seeing how I lifted this photo off a thread about carrying boards over at the Standup-Zone, with this indeed being PonoBill's ride
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: