myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
How high can you jump?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, narrow outline, thickness for stiffness, tons of panel V on the bottom equals very few buckled boards. I've seen 3 buckled between front straps and mast track, a small # considering how many Dill's I've seen in my years. 3 layers of glass and extra heavy helps too.
Skywalk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoy big air and of course practice a lot, as a matter of fact every time on the water in high wind I try to reach for the stars. With that in mind when I finally got the perfect set up 10 foot wave and 20 mph 30 feet was no problem. At that altitude fear is a factor don't panic use the sail to slow the fall and if necessary push the board off the feet just before impact hold on to the boom. This is done best on the last wave in the set so you can gather and escape before the next ten footer and of course make sure you have at least 5 feet of water on the backside. Who got the biggest air Robbie Naish Dale Cook I'd like to know?
keycocker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do you measure that thirty feet?
For example, I saw a 12 ft jump at the AWT done nose up.
The nose was at 12 ft.
The tail was at 4 ft.
We measured with a camera. The sailor said it was typical of his frequent twenty foot jumps from his point of view.
At around thirty foot under t he tail you are looking at a world record.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Height on jumps is always measured at the fin, the lowest tip.
Dale is the current Gorge king of jumps. Back in the days of yore, who knows.
One of the biggest jumps I've seen was done at PistolRiver, just upwind of the rocks. Some guy blasted out full speed, hit the 8' ramp and easily cleared 40' up, tried a tail first landing (no chance at over 25'), stacked on the landing, broke his board in half, the mess drifted into the rocks, he drifted in almost unconscious but made it thru to the other side without his gear, and to shore about 1.5 hours after landing. His gear cycled thru at least 10 times, came out totally torn sail, mast parts smaller than 5', bent boom.
The shorepound was closing out that day, outside waves probably 10' surfer's, the shorepound much more threatening and sucking up the bottom brown and black.
Like maybe 2002 or so.
gerritt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keycocker wrote:
At around thirty foot under t he tail you are looking at a world record.

Not so. They had a height/loop contest at Hookipa two to three years back. Levi Siver, was recorded at 52 feet and did a back loop. Boujmaa Guilloul did 62 feet, but without the loop. Objective measure using "Shadowbox" - similar to what's being touted here.

www.windsport.com/features_article?news_id=765

So, getting back on point to the topic at hand. All I can say is I've jumped pretty high and have scared myself more than once and broken every piece of equipment you can name. I have some photos, but no way to objectively measure. If I were young, I'd probably want this new cell phone do-hicky. Then when I got old, I'd have more to claim and something to back it up.
kaven

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't Zensr be the better name for this product? Smile
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
One of the biggest jumps I've seen was done at PistolRiver, just upwind of the rocks.

You're obviously a baldfaced liar. Didn't you read what the CA boys posted when I mentioned rocks there: There are no rocks at Pistol River, especially downwind. They couldn't be wrong, so OBVIOUSLY you and I are.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

royce wrote:
push the board off the feet just before impact ...

Something tells me you have depth perception. Sounds very convenient, almost useful. Wink
LeeD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously, someone hasn't sailed Pistol.
I've only been there oh.....4 trips, usually 4-5 days each...
Rocks are the graveyard downwind right near shore, which is why I mentioned the shorepound that the guy jumped at. The outside wave is past the graveyards, setup similar to Hookipa, for you's who haven't sailed there.
There is also a huge rock outside, like 100' high, that you can jibe behind for flat smooth water.
But you wouldn't know, because you obviously have never sailed there, have you, Mike?
You can find my name at the list of credits for Windfinder and older SurfingCalifornia's.
LeeD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And just WHO were those "california sailors" who claimed rocks don't exist there? Heck, I oftentimes find windshelter behind a 7' high rock right at the launch, while taking a break from the sailing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: