myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Delaware Beaches Open
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FunHog

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Delaware Beaches Open Reply with quote

For Jersey windsurfers shut out because of Sandy, Delaware beaches are all open. With this weekends Nor'Easter showing juicy wind, Lewes and Cape Henlopen are good luanches for side-shore bayside or onshore oceanside sailing. Ride the Cape May Ferry, hang a right for bay or left into the Park.
rswabsin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FunHog - Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to google map these now to get an idea of the drive time and start watching the weather.

Rob
rswabsin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FunHog,

Forecast for Sunday looks pretty good for a session at Lewes. Thinking about road tripping down to catch a sailing sesh in the AM with the incoming tide. High tide looks to be around noon. Is it still OK to sail at Lewes with an outgoing tide or does the current really start to become a factor?

Rob
spider

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the tide will not be a factor.
FunHog

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For NE I sail on Lewes Bay side which is sheltered but open to the Atlantic. Never felt current effects as I would on oceanside down in Dewey.

Just makes the swell peakier for jumping. Hard to find a wave to ride on the bay, although low tide can find a spot for a turn or two. Look up George at live2sail.blogspot.com for info.

Might see you there.

cosmoecho

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Mast 430 at Lewes Sunday 18? Reply with quote

Guys

I really want to head down to Lewes on Sunday and spent few last hours trying to unstuck my mast extension. No luck Sad
Maybe whoever goes down there has spare one for a day? Ill try to yank it some more tomorrow, but I am not really optimistic about that.
Or maybe somewhere around there I can rent one?

Thank you!
Elena
shreddbob

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elena,

Have you tried flushing water down into mast from the top?

Also, if still stuck after getting some water in there you can try tying the mast extension to a tree or other solid object. Then have one person pull tension on the mast while another person vibrates the mast by hitting with a rubber mallet. It's important to get as much water into the joint as possible before doing this trick. With patience this has always worked for me. Good luck.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put it under twisting tension. Chill the joint thoroughly with a bag of ice, then remove the ice bag and pour lots of hot water over the cold joint.

BTW ... when you guys say a beach is "closed", does that mean law enforcement thereof or just official discouragement or even just a few words in a newspaper? Are the gendarmes so numerous and bored that they actually keep you out of the water? Are they realistic -- i.e., are they saving lives -- or are they ignorantly presuming that 30 kts and 10 feet are inherently deadly? I ask because "closed" venues have afforded me many days, even most of a summer one time, of great, uncrowded, safe windsurfing at many venues in several states. Unless expensive public agency rescue services or enforced closure laws are at stake, it's nobody's business if we take some measured personal risks.

I'll never forget the Corpus Christi National Parks Ranger who skidded to a halt beside a frenzied gaggle of WSers rigging at dawn at Bird Island, hollering, "Guys, that black wall coming at us has sustained winds over 50 mph!" We just knew his next words would be, "I can't let you go out there."

Not to worry. He just grinned and added, "Y'all be careful out there."
bred2shred

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

BTW ... when you guys say a beach is "closed", does that mean law enforcement thereof or just official discouragement or even just a few words in a newspaper? Are the gendarmes so numerous and bored that they actually keep you out of the water? Are they realistic -- i.e., are they saving lives -- or are they ignorantly presuming that 30 kts and 10 feet are inherently deadly?

Umm, have you checked the news lately. The NJ coast was obliterated by tropical storm Sandy. Beaches/waterways are not closed because the gendarmes are "bored". They are closed because the coastline and neighboring towns suffered massive destruction in the form of houses knocked off foundations, board walks eliminated (and washed into their towns), and several feet of sand covering the streets. Many towns will not permit non-residents to enter and in the worst hit places, even residents have only been allowed very limited access. It is going to take months or years for things to be returned to normal in those towns.

sm
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have a useful answer, applicable to the more general instances of "closures"? I've seen "closures" due to many excuses, including unexplained fishkills, darkness, winter, private land, events, "dangerous" (20 mph) winds, "dangerous" (6' trough-to-peak) waves, military operations, family reunions on public land, false wildlife concerns, a maintenance worker mowing the lawn telling me to leave, and more ... every one of which was solvable without ruffling any feathers. A little diplomacy, a request, an advisory closure, simple lack of authority, other entrances, ingenuity ... there are many ways to reduce or eliminate their impact on our fun without anyone giving a damn.

All we need, at a minimum, is wind and water. What non-WSers see as obstacles are often no worse than the usual crap we must negotiate to play ... a rip tide, rocks, extreme gusts, no sign saying "Please windsurf here", a hurricane now and then, lightning, ice. The burned and waterlogged rubble of a few hundred homes or a 200 mile X 100 foot rift in the San Andreas fault doesn't, all by itself, preclude WSing wherever one can find wind and water nearby. Nor does a statement in a newspaper.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: