myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing Cape Hatteras

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crashpile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:30 am    Post subject: Windsurfing Cape Hatteras Reply with quote

I'm weighing options for windsurfing on Spring Break, considering Pamlico Sound at Cape Hatteras or Worldwinds in Corpus Christi. I am about intermediate, my girlfriend is a beginner. Last year we went to Worldwinds and loved it on Spring Break. No wetsuits and decent wind made it easy. I'd appreciate thoughts from folks who have sailed at Cape Hatteras. I am learning in the Gorge, slowly.
combs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crashpile- nice name! My wife and I moved to the gorge 3 seasons ago from the Midwest so know what you are going through...It does get easier.

While in the Midwest we made trips to Hatteras every Spring and Fall. You can count on sailing 50% of the time with March/April and Oct/Nov being the sweet spots. The conditions are very similar to Padre, i.e. flat shallow water that is perfect for beginners/intermediates. The issue with Hatteras and the reason we have not been back is that rental gear is not readily available. I believe only Ocean Air offers it. We always brought our own since we drove down.

We are going to Worldwinds for the first time this Spring. My wife is taking the ABK camp at the end of April with hopes of finally nailing her jibes. Maybe we will see you there?
jsampiero

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post in the East coast forum for some more Cape Hattie input. Wind-NC also rents gear.

Random thought: St. Mary's College windsurf club goes to hatteras for spring break and gets a big house. If your dates coincide, and you wanna have some sailing buddies and make some friends, contact them. They'd be stoked to have a couple west coasters join the fun.

My personal website: www.youneedjosh.com
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would assume you intend to fly to either Texas or OBX ......

Bird Island is a National Park area,(NO kites) fee use area, you can sail on the sound right where you park. The shop, only ONE is right on the beach and offers lessons rentals and a excellent staff. You will need to lodge 1/2hr away, the closest, their are plenty of condos, and some motels near enough. The sailing I found in the spring April for me has been outstanding, with sessions from large to small. Corpus Christi is the near airport. The waters are shallow for a long way out, makes it easy to learn.

Cape Hatteras , closest airport is Norfolk, VA, about 100mi from OBX, easy and breathtaking drive along the ocean You can sail sound or ocean, sound conditions depending on location are remarkably similar to Bird Is. Starting at the the North end Rodanthe Salvo then South thru Avon Buxton there are launch sites. House rental is pretty affordable with plenty to chose, cost will vary from size and location, ocean front being most $$, some sound properties will have a launch from the property.
Their are many motels. Windsurf shops start in Waves/Salvo , something like 6 in Avon and south to Buxton . Frisc Woods campground has sailing, tent camping and small cabins as well RV parking or 5 bucks last year for day use. From the northern locations to the far south its about a 45min drive, where the ferry goes to Orcacoke Island , free. Near the ferry is a free museum, think its Graveyard of the Atlantic, way kool, with a WWII German sub, enigma machine, sunk off Norfolk.. ?

Some, most of the shops have rentals, they are all very helpful. Wind NC in Avon is centrally located and highly recommended. It is a tourist area and mega souvenir shops, plenty of great local eating locations, walking the ocean beach is amazing. Lots of Kite Flying, with Kitty Hawk, ..the Wright Brothers north in Kill Devil Hills , nice museum, costs to get in.

Having been to both , numerous times, I will be off to OBX again in April.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: