myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Time to gloat
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Time to gloat Reply with quote

A time for peace, a time for war--and a time to gloat. Iso, NW, mrgybe, matty, bard--not enough angry white guys to make up for the demographic changes. And Elizabeth Warren to boot. Let me be the first to thumb my nose at you all, and say enjoy the next four years.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to thank the tea party in gifting the senate, and giving us Florida with the selection of Paul Ryan . Hopefully today is the beginning of the end of the crazy right. Also thanking the tea party for the extreme immigration stance which was important .
windoggi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let the redistribution begin! I need a new 5.5 and I know mike has more sails than he can use. Rasheed and Muhammed will be up to pick one out.
NickB

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

I’m not as pessimistic as you. Long tallies of predictions from all the leading, most experienced, right/left/center, professional pollsters, journalists, journalists, pundits, and news analysts predict one of three outcomes: a squeaker for O, a squeaker for R, or a R landslide. Not one predicts an Obama landslide. I’ve seen a few very senior apolitical journalists and analysts who have professionally wallowed in national elections for many decades refuse for the first time in their careers to pick a winner; it’s so close there’s just no basis for a prediction, they say.

Now that he has asserted his credibility in regards to his analysis skills and his trusted sources, let's hear some more about benghazi shall we?
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Chinese Proverb, "Be Careful What You Wish For..You Might Get It"..
coboardhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gloating over such a close victory does not really seem appropriate.

There is, apparently, a deep philisophical divide in this country...if you look at the election results. I do not believe this is true.

I believe we are closer, politically, than we may think we are. These political battles play to the extremes and leave most of us in the middle choosing between the "lessor of the evils". Even this statement is unfair..both candidates could hardly be considered evil. Most countries in the world would be blessed to have either candidate win.

So, hopefully, we move forward.

Stevenbard, Matty, Techno, Mrgybe...thanks for your dialogue during this election. It is all part of the process.
pueno

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
Hopefully today is the beginning of the end of the crazy right.

Bachman's still around.
feuser

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
Gloating over such a close victory does not really seem appropriate.

There is, apparently, a deep philisophical divide in this country...if you look at the election results. I do not believe this is true.

I believe we are closer, politically, than we may think we are. These political battles play to the extremes and leave most of us in the middle choosing between the "lessor of the evils". Even this statement is unfair..both candidates could hardly be considered evil. Most countries in the world would be blessed to have either candidate win.

So, hopefully, we move forward.

Stevenbard, Matty, Techno, Mrgybe...thanks for your dialogue during this election. It is all part of the process.

Good post Coboard.

Perhaps we could start that march back towards civility by stopping to attack each others character and quit that endless name calling. Obamas speech was quite pointed in that respect. In a democracy, every opinion is fair game, but your opponent remains your fellow citizen throughout; something worth reminding yourself of in the midst of a heated argument.

I recommend their most recent piece, "red state blue state"
http://www.thisamericanlife.org/

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
mac

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CB--From you, I feel a little chastened. My gloating is in reaction to the stream of lies and nastiness about Obama--and anyone to the left of Attila--from those named.

The most fun I had was tuning into Fox News once it was clear what had happened, and why. I shouldn't brag about my moments of schadenfreude, but I remain deeply flawed. The arrogant Fox guy attributed Romney's loss to the candidate, and his flip-flops--suggesting that a true conservative would have won. That and the constant whining from the two women side-kicks convinced me that Fox doesn't get it--the question now is does the Republican Party?

The Republicans ran a divisive campaign and Congress, hearkening back to the days of Ronald Reagan. It worked with white men--but failed with everyone else. They have failed to anticipate the shifting demographics in the Country--except in Arizona, where they are simply trying to stave it off until enough cranky old white people die. Mitt did better with cranky white men, conservatives, and evangelicals than Reagan. But the electorate has changed--despite efforts to prevent the new voters from voting.

Here in a nutshell is why Obama won, and why Hillary will win by a much larger margin in 2016 if the Republicans don't dump the wing nuts in the nearest trash bin:

1. The economy is recovering, albeit slowly, and even though the Re-thugs did their best to prevent the recovery and deny Obama a second term. Enough people understand that it was Republican policies that caused the damage; that much is clear from exit polls.

2. The Republicans, and particularly Romney, deeply offended Hispanics with their radical hatred of illegal immigrants. The legal Hispanic citizenry voted 71% for Obama--a dramatic change from Bush II.

3. Obama, despite the slanders of bard, mrgybe, and matty, is simply smarter than anyone that the Republicans could have put up. Their organization and ground game delivered, I believe, all of the swing states. As I have said, I have seen the same thing in governance--we have gone from the most incompetent president of the last 100 years to someone even smarter than Clinton.

4. Not to be outdone, Re-thugs doubled down on hatred of women's reproductive rights, pandering to evangelicals who never read the Federalist Paper's or Roe v. Wade. Thank god for a triumph for thinking and science. Women voted for Obama by a 10% margin, and the margin among younger women is even larger.

5. The cultural war is over, and the evangelicals lost. Gay marraige wins 4 for 4 state elections.

So let's recap. Republicans have held onto and even increased their support from angry white men--and in the process developed a hate-filled narrative that alienated everyone else. They showed, in retaining the House, that Republican redistricting can create enough safe seats for Tea Party members--but that at the State level pandering to the Tea Party lost them at least 2 Senatorial races.
pueno

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
...to the stream of lies and nastiness about Obama--and anyone to the left of Attila--from those named....

Speaking of which, would someone please turn on Iso's, Matty's, Mr. G's, Mr. B's, NW's, and Techno's Internet connections? They haven't chimed in with the usual vitriol, and the only rational reason must be that they're off-line.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 1 of 21

Jump to: