myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
So, what's the latest you've ever sailed?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
attila

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't remember if it was OB or Davenport someone in the peanut gallery remarked after a satisfing session, "I have sailed every day this year". It was Jan. 3rd.

Adding to Sempiero's take, Growing up in Alameda there was a time in the early 80's when about 10 of us sailed a south wind from about 9pm - 11pm. what made it memorable was that they were adding sand to the beach at the time and they had these 12" black pipes that they used to transport the new sand from a dredge somewhere off shore to the beach. Hitting one of those slightly submerged pipes was a scary thought.
beallmd

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taken 9-16-2010 at the Access/Rio. Grandfather and grandson, we got along great that day.

jb camera 209.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.22 MB
 Viewed:  14187 Time(s)

jb camera 209.JPG

jsampiero

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kidding aside, if you're lucky enough to sail at a vacation you know well, and that would be safe on a moonlit night, DO IT.

Remember that feeling you had getting on to a plane for the first time? It comes back pretty quick. It's a great rush, that is, for the most, pretty safe.

We used to sail in the dark at Banana River Resort on a regular basis. There were the lights at the resort (really just a house) and the lights about a block up.... from the strip club. Hot pink and electric blue. We got pretty good at triangulating our positionm even in the dark.

I'm pretty sure a bunch of us at Kanaha this evening were wishing we were surfing past dark. (A few people cut it pretty close!) Guess I'll settle for that 5:45 alarm, instead...

My personal website: www.youneedjosh.com
Waterat Pat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sailed the NorCal coast every month of the year. Clearing winds right after a storm are best but water quality can be iffy at best. The big problem is days are so short it makes weekdays really tough if you work for a living.
Its weekends only once the time change happens.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsampiero wrote:
Kidding aside, if you're lucky enough to sail at a vacation you know well, and that would be safe on a moonlit night, DO IT.

Remember that feeling you had getting on to a plane for the first time? It comes back pretty quick. It's a great rush, that is, for the most, pretty safe.

We used to sail in the dark at Banana River Resort on a regular basis.

OT, but WTH; it's not like we're trying to settle the Great BFF vs Camless Debate.

New Mexico's heated Morgan Lake is a great spot for midnight madness. The power plant provides plenty of light to know where you are and there are no obstacles besides the shoreline. Don't need no steenkin' moon.

We've sailed way past total dark "out east" a few times. The I-84 freeway lights illuminate the swell adequately on the OR side, and we can at least tell where the Roosevelt shore is by the park's "street light". A big moon is a bonus. However, no way I'm doing that again in big winds; I thought I was badly injured after getting hit hard in the chest by a swell I never saw, leading to a serious crash that left me bloody and injured. 5.2 is now my nighttime cutoff and the wind must be thermal, not frontal, to trust it -- rare in 2012. Of course, if we get in trouble, we're on our own.
jse

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make an effort to sail at least one day each month of the year, for no other reason than bragging rights. Last year was the first year in about 8 that I missed a month. Sometimes you have to lower your scruples when you reach the end of the month, but it's not hard to accomplish this if you follow the weather closely. Half Moon Bay, Larkspur, Alameda, Emeryville, and Rio Vista provide my best options. I never wear booties or gloves, but always a warm hat. And the good winter sessions are very rewarding, with strong consistent winds as the storm approaches, to blinding driving rain as it hits.

Now that I have a SUP, I think it will be easier to catch a few days if the weather does not provide storm winds.

Steve
flynbri

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago my friends and I got off the Plane at 5:30pm in Maui, grabbed our retail gear and made it to Kanaha by 7pm. It was still windy and twilight so we rigged and went out barely able to see the surface of the water. About an hour later a full moon came over the top of Haleakala and lit the whole place up! We sailed till 11pm it was one of the best windsurfing sessions I can remember in 30 years on the water. Very Happy
superkraut

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a few years back, we had been waiting all day for wind and none came - until after it had gotten dark, when it filled in very nicely. There was a bit of a moon, but not much, so I was the only one to go out (even though that is strictly forbidden on my lake). It was wonderful, except that I nearly got pitched a few times because I really could not see the gusts coming. Shortly after I had finally quit, a light came over the hill from a nearby campsite - a friend, Harry: "we did not hear you any more, so were worried". Oops, I don't have the right to do that to friends, so haven't been out in the dark since.
gerritt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

attila wrote:
Can't remember if it was OB or Davenport someone in the peanut gallery remarked after a satisfing session, "I have sailed every day this year". It was Jan. 3rd.

Hey Attila. I was there that day post session. I think it was Joe who said it. It was only my second day that year. It was 2009. Technically, though, that's not the "latest" (using dates, not time) in year, but the earliest. I've sailed both New Years Eve - the latest, and New Years Day - the earliest.

As for time, I broke down in the late 80's when aluminum masts were totally rad about 3 miles off Coyote Point at 8:00 p.m. I pulled out down by the San Mateo Bridge at 11:30 p.m. The city lights were quite beautiful. Swimming sideways to the flood tide - not so much. The two pieces of that formally one piece mast still lie somewhere on the bottom of the bay to this day!

The season never ends - it just changes.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jse wrote:
I make an effort to sail at least one day each month of the year, for no other reason than bragging rights.

RANDY? IS THAT YOU? Wink

He did exactly that, boasting endlessly that he had "sailed the Gorge" for 100 straight months. He kept it up even after we busted him calling a 100-yard freezing midwinter slog "windsurfing" just to fill his square.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: