myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
So, what's the latest you've ever sailed?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beallmd

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: So, what's the latest you've ever sailed? Reply with quote

When I first moved to Reno I was discussing windsurfing season with a local sailor, who said, some of us sail all winter! I was intrigued so I went to see what the sailing might be like that winter. What I found was that you'd need ice skates instead, or the windsurfing version thereof; free skates (a skateboard with ice skates and a sail attached-a land sailor for ice.) Since then I have learned that little Washoe lake is used as a hockey rink sometimes. A funny visual is when one of the local sailors was freeskating when the thin ice gives way and he ends up standing in knee-deep water with his freeskate.
Another story I would relate is LAST OCTOBER, when my bud and I sailed a perfectly good day at Third. It was not particulaly cold, wind was a filled in 20ish, nice swells, on a weekend day and NOT A SOUL IN SIGHT other than us. We kept asking where is everyone?
So I know that some sail the bay all winter or Half Moon Bay harbor, but that the crowds are sparce at best. I looked at my diary that I keep (and recommend everyone keep-it's very interesting to see what actually happened) and found that other than Maui trips or Mexico, the latest I've sailed in the last 16 years or so is around October 15. Half of the time those were trips to the bay; at Third or Rio usually. When I lived in Redding and sailed Black Butte-a little warmer-it was October 24. I can remember sailing quite a few times at Rio with just a couple of other (usually an older crowd I might add) as my last day and then driving through the unique place that is the Sacramento River Delta and thinking good bye and thanks for another great year!
Note; I did sail October 31 with two other sailors this year, it was pretty good, well worth it, but it has been an unusually warm and unfortunately not windy fall.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall sailing in January or February, but it's hard to
remember after ~30 years of sailing. If you qualify the end of
the season as December, then I've sailed right through the last
potential month, but it's kind of a weird question, because it's
warm in a lot of places year round, or when 1 hemisphere is
cold the other is warm.

-Craig
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In NM, year 'round ... often barefooted right through the winter not even counting Morgan. As long as fresh water remains liquid, anyone willing to wear booties and gloves can sail all winter most days. (I don't understand why people with ski slopes nearby bother, but some do.) I didn't need gloves until mid-Jan, 2000 in the Gorge -- NOT the norm. And look at the $#!+ the Psychrophilic Puffin sails in.
beallmd

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig; we are on the southwest forum and mostly that means SF bay and LA. (As well as Mexico and Maui-but those are a given.)
Bayside

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember a decent Xmas day at 3rd - maybe three years ago. It is unusual not to have at least one good storm day at HMB during Dec and Jan.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, so you're asking, "when is the latest you've ever sailed in
California,?". I haven't sailed anywhere in California
in about 20 years, but when I did, the latest was probably August ;*)
Unless, Lake Mohave counts as "The Southwest", then it's still December.

-Craig

beallmd wrote:
Craig; we are on the southwest forum and mostly that means SF bay and LA. (As well as Mexico and Maui-but those are a given.)
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beallmd wrote:
Craig; we are on the southwest forum and mostly that means SF bay and LA.

Tell that to the sailors in AZ, NM, UT, NV, the rest of CA, even arguably TX. Besides, if the Phrozen Puffin can sail in midwinter NY, what's stopping anyone in CA? Heck, you don't even need booties in the Bay ... EVER ... given its wintertime low water temps of 46 degrees.
carl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sailed every month at most of the SFbay sites. There can be NW clearing wind or SE storm direction any month Nov thru March. The water never gets solid here Smile . Just wear a warm wetsuit!!
I have sails 4.0 to 9.5, and a van to carry it all, so anything goes.
The water temp can actually be cooler in spring when upwelling from strong NW wind occurs. Winter ocean temps are usually in low 50s, not 46 as Iso said. Air temps are usually low to mid 50s for storm sailing. When it's 40s, it's usually too cold for me. Booties and hood are sure nice to have.

Last edited by carl on Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:03 pm; edited 3 times in total
capetonian

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a solid contingent of us that sail year round in Socal. Winter is spotty wind wise. Clearing winds are best, but can get cold enough to warrant a 5 mil suit and a hood.
victor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've never sailed in december in the bay area. anything in oct. thru feb. was a day or two of cold and gusty conditions and maybe even rain. hail once at hmb.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: