myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
FreeFormula question
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To go fast, you need to fly on the fin, on the verge of overpowered, flying the nose over chop, but in control.
I would never just put the mast track "foreward". Instead, measure from the front screw of the fin box to around 45" max for 10 sails. Any farther forward, you start to rake the sail excessively, making it basically smaller.
You two new fins will add plenty of additional speed when powered. Good sizing choice.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And back masttrack placement lifts the windward rail.
Forward mast track placement keeps the windward rail down. You gotta tune for the way you are powered.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb: as you may know - this one comes with trimm box - one screw at the back
in any case the mast centre is about 47 inches from the front of the fin and about 56 from the back - that's about 140 cm - 135 would put me somewhere near the middle of the mast track !!
so, definitely more than 45 inches up from where the screw would be
not sure how you come up with these numbers, butt i will try moving it back - one inch at a time.

thanx
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joethewindsurfa, I know that it's not the best time to use the credit card or take out a loan, but sometimes getting what you want today can pay off in incredible ways.

To support my point, I will freely admit to refinancing my car in 1985 to buy my first windsurfing kit, to include the Thule roofrack to transport it. Would I do it again? Yes I would.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Key to tuning is to go out first, and see what needs to be done.
If your windward rail is down, you are underpowered, so short of rigging a bigger sail or slightly less downhaul, you can move fin forwards, use bigger fin, move mast base back and booms down a bit.
If you windward rail is flying up on you, lifting the nose and then the tail, you can move the fin back, go smaller in fin, add downhaul, use a smaller sail, or move the mast track farther forwards., raising the boom the same amount.
And of course, you almost always want to find the best AVERAGE of your tuning, for the lightest winds you encounter, and for the strongest winds you encounter than session.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx zirtaeb - in this case - fin does NOT move

swchandler - not sure i get your point
just swallow it up and get a new board ?
which one ???
i use the BIC for 10-16 knots and AHD FF 160 for 16 to 20
when all lines up i use a Fanatic BEE LTD 124 - also old
so, you are saying - borrow to buy ???
here is mostly light winds
i go when the kiters go
when the local pros go on the water, i get off
they are also wind chasers and travellers
you get the gist ...
thanx just the same
techno900

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,

It looks to me that you have everything covered. zirtaeb has covered just about all you need to work on to tune for more speed on the bic. While the bic isn't the fastest big board out there, it will go faster as you rig larger sails and learn to manage them in higher winds.

A 10m sail for a 200 pounder is not a large sail on the bic, but going larger will serve little purpose. With practice, you should be able to manage the 10m in 15-17 knots on reaches up to 20 knots if sailing upwind/downwind. That's where you get the speed. However, you are moving to the AHD when the wind gets to the point where you can take full advantage of the bic.

I think you may be expecting too much from the bic in the winds you are sailing, but that doesn't mean that you can't tune for a little more performance.

In the winds where you use the bic, I am on a starboard formula 160 with an 11.0 sail and a 70cm fin, plus I weigh 165 lbs.
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, borrow money to buy now. That way you can pay for the board over time. Needless to say, some folks refuse to borrow money and prefer to buy only when they have money in hand. I get the impression that you must fall into that category. So if the extra money is not there, you do the best with what you've got.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trim box, fin can move by adjust the rectangle spacers.
Tuttle, Power, Tiga, Meritex don't allow for moving the fin.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 - guess it is time to push harder Smile
do NOT want to go larger than 10-oh , but will try this sail in "bigger winds" ie more than 15 knots = as you say up to 20 !!

swchandler - yes, i do wait if there is NO money in the bank - my credit is CLEAN and i manage to sail 60 days a year with my "make do stuff" Smile

zirtaeb - this box does NOT allow fin movement - there is ONE tab and it simply does NOT work - local shop says this is normal for this board Sad
will "make do" Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: