myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Who's OK?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
outcast

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Who's OK? Reply with quote

Minimal forum posts....mostly from Cape Cod which got essentially a Northeeaster and not worse
Haven't seen much otherwise.

Lakes Bay site in NJ sounds like it got wiped, but the gear is OK.
I'm quite sure Terry and Jack Busko on LBI really hurting.

feuser

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The south shore of Long Island, NY and the beach communities on the barrier islands including Queens were trashed. Many of the dunes are simply gone, no access to ocean sailing spots indefinitely:
[/img]

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
WaterKook

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap!!!!! Shocked
motogon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lakes Bay parking lot

3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  314.89 KB
 Viewed:  20084 Time(s)

3.jpg

motogon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EW shop

2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  357.97 KB
 Viewed:  20083 Time(s)

2.jpg

feuser

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOAA44025 a sensor buoy thirty miles offshore south of central LI, topped out at 30ft swell at 15 seconds on Monday. I have sailed Democrat Point (unwisely) on a day when that buoy read 18+ feet in November of 2009, which I believe was the highest measured swell there to date. The break was about mast and a half high then, some of my friends say they saw sets bigger than that. I can't imagine what it must have looked like...

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
outcast

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Surfline Re OBX:

Buxton looks like Rodanthe now. From just south of the third jetty all the way to Motels, every oceanfront house is in the water. It's bad, but not as bad as Irene. And thinking back to how insane and awful Irene was on the Outer Banks, it's way worse up in New Jersey and New York. Not only because this affected so many more people, but the destruction's way greater. Sandy was a storm we're used to here. Houses got flooded and now have to be gutted and redone; but we're prepared. Our houses are built on stilts, water passes underneath -- so at least they stay standing and you can go get your items out afterwards. In New York and New Jersey, those are ground-level houses right on the beach. They just got washed away."

"Michael Dunphy asked me if he should send clothes and stuff down here. I just keep telling everyone that all money and items need to go up north. What's needed here needs to be done by the state and NCDOT, not any individual. We have no road. From Oregon Inlet all the way to S-Turns there's nothing but sand. And according to the NPS, it's illegal to build up the dune. The whole reason Irene cut that inlet on Pea Island is because after that Nor'Ida storm a few years back, the dune got washed out at Ranger Station. It wasn't rebuilt, then Irene hit, and we got an inlet. Now the dune is flat and level all along Pea Island. I can't imagine what the place will look like once we get a giant nor'easter and there's no dune. I heard NCDOT is trying to get a bridge up by Thanksgiving. We just gotta hope between now and then we don't have any insane storms because we're coming to the season of howling north winds and giant northeast swells -- which is what's put us in this situation for all these years now."

"Other than those oceanfront properties, we did all right through Sandy. We're still stranded here in Hatteras, but it's not our first rodeo. Sure, if you were to get sick or something it would be unfortunate because you can't just run to the hospital. It takes a while by ferry. I can say, however, that remembering Irene, it seemed at the time it would take forever for us to recover. The light at the end of the tunnel just wasn't there. Yet here we are. By the time Hurricane Season came around this year, 95% of our people were back to normal, or as normal as they could get. Their businesses were up and running. They were back in their houses. I feel like a lot of people up north are about to see just how tight-nit a community can be. At a time like this, people go into survival mode and put their differences aside, and things start rolling. It will take a long time, because there's millions of people affected. But I'll bet a year from now a lot of people up there will be saying, 'Wow, we've really come a long way.'"

-Brett Barley, professional surfer, Cape Hatteras, NC

ron.c

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

News from one of our own - The LI Peconic Puffin Blog has been recently updated
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great quote from Brett. He's right- Hatteras is generally A-OK. They're making quick work of the road, and the ferries are now running smoothly (although the first few days were apparently a cluster*)

Hearing stories and seeing photos of the damage up north puts a knot in my gut. It brings me right back to last September. Brett is correct, though- time marches on, things get cleaned up, and before long it's all just a distant memory and hopefully a thing of the past. And hey, if it happens again, you'll be that much better prepared based on what you learned from last time around.

My heart goes out to everyone who is now digging out. It's hard, hard work. But keep those chins up, because every day, things get a little better, and a little closer to normal.

Donate to the Red Cross. Or better yet, if you're able, grab a pair of work gloves and heavy boots, and go make some new friends. They'll appreciate your help more than anything in the world!

http://wind-nc.com
chipny

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helping.now.is.good but if u can also check in again in a few weeks when alot if the people will still be cleaning up..it seems in nyc.most.communities r.helping.eachother out
at least the ones.im exposed to. some of it, like the beach dune situation
.is.just bigger.than.human
volunteer or individual involvment
. im sure hatteras folks know that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: