myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Replacing Old Bare Polardry With New O'Neill Assault Drysuit
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
donwh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Replacing Old Bare Polardry With New O'Neill Assault Drysuit Reply with quote

Is this the next logical step for those of us that love our Polardry, as it
began to leak badly from somewhere, leaving me freezing the last 2 days...
WaterKook

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be my choice.... http://m.oneill.com/#/men/americacanada/collection/men/wetsuits/surf/wetsuit_collection/psycho_rg8_fsw_54mm_hooded/black/
ron.c

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got more wetsuits than skill

My Bare still fits a niche for my kind of sailing.

Its life has easily been extended by using sail tape, on the inside, to cover the leaky sections in the top half.

Adding a neoprene neck was a great improvement.

RC
swmckay

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

evans wrote:
This would be my choice.... http://m.oneill.com/#/men/americacanada/collection/men/wetsuits/surf/wetsuit_collection/psycho_rg8_fsw_54mm_hooded/black/

This is exactly the suit I used last winter, with Ocean Rodeo 6mm boots.
Worked great. The suit is very nearly dry inside when you've got the
zipped-on hood. And it's so much easier to swim in than in a drysuit.

Two thumbs up from me!

--Scott
bates

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a question, what is the advantage of a drysuit over a winter wetsuit (like that oniell?) I have always worried about being too boyant in the drysuit (not ideal if you are sailing waves) Also I worry it could fill with water (also not ideal for survival?) Any opinions?
donwh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bates Wrote:

Just a question, what is the advantage of a drysuit over a winter wetsuit (like that oniell?) I have always worried about being too boyant in the drysuit (not ideal if you are sailing waves) Also I worry it could fill with water (also not ideal for survival?) Any opinions?

My first drysuit was a Body Glove 4/3. Got the Bare next, was significantly warmer than the BG, also easier to get into. Downside is the seals can be too tight, I was seeing dots as I sailed, afraid to trim too much off.
I sail waves all winter long no problem, but won't sail if I'm too cold. Afraid to go back to the non baggy top style, wish I could check one out and compare...CrazyF is getting a new one, I see what he thinks.
zeppy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an O'Neill Mutant 5/4 with hood and non-hood options (both zip-on/off). http://m.oneill.com/men/americacanada/collection/men/wetsuits/surf/wetsuit_collection/mutant_54mm/black/. I was skeptical that it would keep me as warm as my old Bare drysuit, but needed a suit fast due to zipper blowout. I love it, used it all last "winter" and the only thing that ever got cold were my hands (glacier gloves) and sometimes my face when there were some snowflakes in the air. Purchased it at Sailworld, which carries O'Neill wetsuits if you want to try one on. I don't know the difference between the Mutant and the Psycho RG8, looks like the RG8 might be a little warmer since it has flaps over the entry/hood zippers. I've heard Xcel makes a nice winter suit as well. I just bought some of their drylock 5 mm booties, unfortunately I didn't get to try them out this week Crying or Very sad Good luck.
bates

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya that mutant 5/4 is what I have used for 2 years now. Its a great suit. I dont use the collar option at all, so might go with the psyco this year. I guess the seal is a little better as you dont have a sipper seal on the hood in the back
GarryW

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Check out the ION Fuse Reply with quote

If you get a chance check out the Fuse suit from ION. They're for sale at the Gorge Surf Shop in Hood River.
crazyfingers

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have the psycho2 got a couple warm winters from it, really not the most wind resistant suit i've had, but performed as expected. Decided to go for the Pro Motion 6/4 charger, should be in the mail, figured those west coasters know there cold water stuff. Ditched the bag a while ago because of all the issues mentioned in this thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: